How Come All The "hippies" Are Wearing Make-up?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by WoodstockChild, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodstockChild

WoodstockChild Intrepid Traveler!

Hmmmm.... I guess I do have too high expectations. I just wish it was like how it was back then. I expect today to be like yesterday. Someday it's going to hit me that Woodstock is over and the hippies are dead. I have a hard time accepting it.

2. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

I mean this with every bit of respect I have towards you (which is a lot), so don't take this the wrong way. I used to think the exact same way until I realised this:

You are critisising people for all looking the same, and keeping up with trends and all that stuff. You are putting down those people because they want to "look good" on the outside by wearing make up. you are saying these people are wrong for looking at the outside... But what are you doing? You have been typing this entire time about how people shouldn't look at people and judge others based on how they dress or what they wear. But you have not once said how beautiful any of those people are on the inside. You are doing the same thing they are doing, just in revers. Instead of seeing it as a positive thing you see it as negative, but you are still looking at the outside. I know what you are thinking right now: But it is differant in my case. I speant years trying to justify how it was differant, trust me honey, it isn't differant. Not at all. Accept them how they are. Here is a challenge for you: Next time you see soem of your school mates who fit the make-up fashion description, go talk to them. Get to know them. They won't be as judgemental as you think they will of you. You can find out their real beauty. Only thing is you have to step out of your box.

In my experiance, the makeup people aren't near as judgemental as the people who say that they hate the "preps" and that they are wrong for caring about how they dress and wearing what is in fashion.

3. WoodstockChild

Oh, I've talked to them alright. Tried to get through. They just laughed. Talking to my bedroom wall is more interesting. My dog that has an IQ of seven has deeper thoughts.

That's not one bit shallow or materialistic to you? Not at all?

4. indian~summer

indian~summer yo ho & a bottle of yum

right on

5. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Honey, you are in the now for a reason. Woodstock is a nice thought to think of. Woodstock seems to be like a utopia for counter-culture people. However, woodstock is gone. But there is still work that needs to be done NOW. The enviroment is getting fucked up, there are war mongering homophobes in washington, there is an unjust war going on. There is stuff to fight for NOW. We can't save the world in 1969, but there is no reason you can't try to save it in 2006!

Woodstock lasted 3 days, and it was over forever. However, its legacy lasts even today! Don't live for the 3 days, live for their legacy!

6. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

What part? I haven't met these people. Maybe they simply are stuck up snobs. It happens. Doesn't mean all those who dress like that are that way. Many of the most compassionate loveing accepting people I know would give any body in need advice, a hug, or a shoulder to cry on while wearing an Abercrombie shirt. Equally, I have met a few jerks that wear the same clothes. You can't judge everyone by how they dress in comparison to others.

7. WoodstockChild

My plan is to start a revolution and change the world. I've been writing music tirelessly, music with a good message. I think music is the most powerful way to reach people. Once our music is famous, people might listen to our message, and if we inspire jst a few people, we've sparked a fire. What do fires do? They spread, and rapidly. I'm talking conter-culture wildfire. It will end in a march back to Woodstock when the next generation of flower children are ready, like a last stand for humankind.

8. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Well that is awesome you have such a plan! Just remember the counter culture today is much differant today! In order to be a shocking counter culture figure back then, it made you a hippie. Nowadays, any form of rock is a counterculture type deal. Don't exclude touring with other bands, or don't push away fans because they don't wear tie-dye or they wear make up. A Punk band on the surface might not seem like a good band to tour with, but if you both have a similiar goal and message that is what REALLY matters!

9. joo kyle

joo kyle thisandthat

you're pretty narrow minded about things and I doubt you know anything about the hippie cultrue besides what you learned in the woodstock movie.

10. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Joo_kyle, I really like that pic of Abbie Hoffman in your Signature.

11. WoodstockChild

I know enough about it to have dedicated my life to it. And, the Woodstock movie/ talks with people who went are good sources of information. They we're the hippies, after all.

12. indian~summer

indian~summer yo ho & a bottle of yum

you're 15 and have dedicated your whole life to it?
    i don't know if i believe that
    and can you honestly say you have never in your life worn the makeup you so hate?
    you're 15 and from the posts that i've seen you sound very naive
    good luck with your revolution though
    hope it works out for you (no sarcasm intended, really)

13. Lady of the Freaks

Lady of the Freaks Senior Member

i can appreciate your idealistic thoughts on this subject, for sure. i can relate. but i figure you gotta live and let live. pick your battles, ya know? i'm not crazy about cosmetics - for one thing because so many of them are full of chemicals that aren't even good for people's health, and the companies that make them are profiting from hurting people. so on occasions when i do buy that stuff, which is rare, i'm very selective and only buy stuff that will harm me and the environment as little as possible - natural products, recyclable containers etc. i am put off by people who 'process' themselves bigtime, prefer the natural human look, all of that. but i also know people are gonna do what people are gonna do. you know, cosmetic companies spend alot of money on advertising to make people feel insecure about how they look. and that has a big impact on people, unfortunately.

14. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

A lot of GREAT hippies weren't even in that movie, or even worse, NEVER WENT TO WOODSTOCK!
    People at woodstock who weren't interviewed/weren't interviewed in any signifigant manner -or- didn't attend woodstock at all:
    Abbie Hoffman
    Jerry Garcia (shown, but didn't say anything except "Marijuana, exhibit A")
    Bob Dylan
    John Lennon (or any of the beatles)
    Jim Morrison
    Jimi Hendrix
    Alan Ginsburg
    Dr. Benjamin Spock
    Croby, Stills, Nash OR Young

Of course there are a lot of other influential to the movement. But Woodstock also occured right before the decline of the hippie movement, which occured in the early 70's. This was more of a product of the hippie movement, and actually a fantasy land for all the people. If you want a movie about the hippie movement, watch a movie called "The 60's". It has a lot of pretty good acting, it is really long and is a very detailed account of what happened during the 60's from several points of views. That is to say, from the soldiers point of view, the conservative's, the political hippie, and the hippie more interested in music and drugs and all that stuff. It is a drama, made in 1999 I beleive. I STRONGLY reccomend checking this movie out. You should be able to get is from somewhere like Blockbuster or something like that. If not, you can always buy it off the internet.

15. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

LadyOfTheFreaks, that is the greatest signature I think I have EVER seen!

16. Lady of the Freaks

Lady of the Freaks Senior Member

glad ya like it. [​IMG]

17. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

ditto to pretty much everything rayne lyric said

plus,
    not everyone on here is a hippie (that's a pretty big assumption on your part, some of us are just here to discuss, not because we identify as hippies)

I feel beautiful without makeup. But I feel more beautiful with makeup to draw attention towards my favourite features. A little eyeshadow and mascara does not make me a britney clone, and it doesn't justify you JUDGING others for what they choose to do with their bodies.

18. WoodstockChild

At least I don't type like a six-year-old.

19. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

insulting spelling/grammatical errors is one of the lamest things you can do in trying to defend your point.

genuinely defend your stance, don't just give folks a hard time because they didn't feel like running a spellcheck over what they typed

20. The.KK

The.KK Member

You're too obsessed with this hippie thing.

That's all I want to say for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.