How can Roman Catholics reject casual social nudity?

Discussion in 'Bare It! Nudism and Naturism' started by Ron Mo, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Ron Mo

Ron Mo Members

Considering the Roman Catholic church considers itself infallible, doesn’t the open plain depiction of nudity of God and mankind in the art of the Sistine Chapel, legitimize common, casual, social, and even godly nudity? That would seem to also include nudity when worshiping God.
    I am not an expert on the catholic church, but it seems logical.
    Your thoughts.

2. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

.... Because they are hypocrites?

3. I think your right

4. Bicaptain My Captain

Bicaptain My Captain Members

I couldn't care less.

5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't accept the basic premise of infallibility. Therefore, I don't believe a word they say.

6. Ron Mo

Ron Mo Members

I have been thinking, i know dangerous, but.
    I think the reason for nudity being accepted during the Sistine Chapel time and sorta banned today is the church following parts of society.
    But I think this brings up an opportunity to possibly enlarge the nudist/naturist community.
    If we look at the imagery of the Sistine Chapel and share that with our catholic friends, they may become more open to casual social nudity.
    Will it work, I don’t know, but may be worth a try.

7. nldn

nldn Senior Member

There are plenty of Catholics in Bavaria and Austria, where nude mixed spas are commonplace.

Very Fast Car, Granite69 and Ron Mo like this.
  8. ALAnonMan

ALAnonMan Members

Has the Catholic Church ever formally condemned casual nudity? I'm no expert, but I don't believe any official condemnations exist.

As far as nudity in worship services goes - some Catholic churches enforce rather strict dress codes inside the building such as no shorts for men and no low-cut tops for women. I think it has more to do with respect than it does with being afraid of nudity. It's just an issue of what is appropriate for the occasion. For example, it might be considered disrespectful for you to show up at a formal event such as a wedding wearing cut-off jean shorts, flip flops, and a tank top. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with cut-off jean shorts, flip flops, etc in and of themselves at all.

Very Fast Car and Granite69 like this.
  9. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Damn Catholics and their biden's...

:laughing:

maineiac likes this.
  10. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Isn't there enough nudity though? I don't think the Catholic church is overstepping if they're asking their constituents for lack of a better term or their congregants to refrain from casual nudity. It seems to me that there is something of a moral high ground to be had by avoiding such demagoguery. :D

11. Granite69

Granite69 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Have been a Catholic for my entire more than 50 years of life ... not devout by any stretch, but it’s a thing. Did K-12 in Catholic schools, have done all of the sacraments for which I’m eligible and so on.

In all of that time in the specific circles of which I’ve been a part, I have never once heard/seen the naked human body characterized negatively. I brought this up in another similar thread. The overall theme during the course of my life is that many non-Catholics love to define Catholicism in ways that are completely incongruous with the reality that I’ve lived.

The only thing all of those nuns and priests taught me to NEVER dangle is participles. LOL.

Alice in SC likes this.
  12. Ron Mo

Ron Mo Members

So from what I am hearing the Catholic Church is not officially anti-nude. Also from what I have seen, the Catholic Church is the only one that actually has a display of nudity in it’s official art.
    But here in the US, it seems that both Catholics and Protestants (individually) are anti-nudity. Some protestant churches are clearly against it.
    Sorta back to my original thought that maybe catholics could be easier to reach with the idea of casual-nudity than others since it was part of the churches official art, which still stands today.

Granite69 likes this.