How bad are shrooms for the brain?

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by -_-HitMan-_-, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

Can you supply a reputable source for this claim?

2. eatlysergicacid

eatlysergicacid Creep in a T-Shirt

Sorry, what?

3. jamgrassphan

jamgrassphan Get up offa that thing Lifetime Supporter

That all depends on what you ultimately want your brain to do. HPPD is a real thing, but as with everything in life - temperance and moderation is the wise path.

4. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I believe that is internet language for "I think I know what I'm talking about, but need to read a textbook".

UnknownEntity, the reason these drugs work is because they are similar to serotonin from a chemical structure standpoint.. This is why they don't harm the brain, they fit into slots naturally already there.

5. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

A quote like that indicates shrooms might be worse for you than I thought.

6. UnknownEntity90

UnknownEntity90 Member

I don't think I should answer a question that you could find by reading the first 2 pages of google after searching hppd.

7. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

I must have a different google than you cause I can't find one reliable source claiming 5htp can cause hppd.
    But since you came back so sarcastically, I believe you now. I'm sure you've got binders full of research papers. Thanks for saving me, Imma stop taking 5htp.

8. UnknownEntity90

UnknownEntity90 Member

I thought you meant the part where i said a single dose of lsd. youll find the other part if you google tryptophan. I didnt respond sarcastically, and since you can only hear sarcasm i assume you're a stalker.

9. UnknownEntity90

UnknownEntity90 Member

then explain the ones that cant pass the bbb and still produce the same effects. certain serotonergics do mimic the effects of serotonin activating the serotonin receptor, but when the 5ht2a serotonin subreceptor is activated natural serotonin is still released. thats how it doesnt stay all in one place, not break down, and cause serotonin toxicity.

10. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

if it's that easy to find, please just provide a link. i assume you're referring to a peer reviewed study, yes?

11. UnknownEntity90

UnknownEntity90 Member

I can even explain why 5htp can cause hppd. it doesnt cross the bbb before it breaks down. 5htp breaks down to serotonin. serotonin is active in your blood stream. that serotonin then breaks down further until it can reach your peripheral nervous system.

edit: actually its in Clinical Guide to the Diagnosis and Treatment of Mental Disorders
    open a book

12. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Can't rep you again now, but see, you can be as big of a smartass as I am.:D
    It makes my proud.:2thumbsup:

13. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Well generally speaking and within the scientific arena specifically, which you are playing in, it is customary to provide your sources when making such statements or drawing such conclusions.

I agree, there have been cases of single use of a psychedelic substance has induced HPPD, but they are extremely rare, as is the actual occurrence of HPPD. Given the millions of people who have consumed LSD in the last 60 years, not to mention all the other psychedelics, if adverse effects were that common and prevalent it would be very well known.
    Overall the rate of long term negative effects of LSD use specifically falls around .01% of the number of people who have ingested it, and no documented deaths as a direct result of the drug.
    Hell of a lot safer odds then 90% of medications you can buy over the counter.

I do notice one thing I'm not sure if any one else picked up on.
    Your description of your personal symptoms really goes far beyond the scope of HPPD.
    I think it is a very crucial point that you say you consumed 2-CE.
    Interesting, considering it is a relatively new substance and the vast majority of studies concerning psychedelic use and HPPD have been with the big 3; LSD, Mescaline and Psylocybin.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you have more going on than HPPD and that your use of a completely synthetic substance with almost no clinical studies behind it and virtually no record of use in humans as compared to the other 3 really doesn't translate to a discussion concerning mushrooms.
    Let's also not forget the unknown quantity which is the manufacturing process/conditions. For all you know you may have also ingested some bacteria or some other agent that is causing your symptoms. Have you seen the lab your source used to produce the 2-CE?

Maybe a new note of caution concerning RC's. ;)

14. UnknownEntity90

UnknownEntity90 Member

if you read back a little, youll see that hppd was brought up by someone else. hppd was continued to be spoken of. someone (who doesnt have it) ignorantly said its not that bad. actually my symptoms dont go past severe hppd symptoms, though it does go past common symptoms of the disorder (the disorder already being uncommon). if youve ever studied hppd youll see that it can actually cause symptoms of DR/DP, which are serious psychotic disorders. if you read further youll see that i eventually gave a source. all you have to do is find an online library and read an ebook. id say narrowing it down to a single book with a table of contents is more than enough. its now up to the rest of you not to be lazy.

15. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Excellent point that doesn't get considered often enough, I myself forget that fact at times.:2thumbsup:

I agree completely with what you've said here.

My only contention with the OP (as ancient as it is) and some other responses is that yes, individuals are each different and some may have a bad long lasting interaction with a certain psychedelic substance, just as some people have allergies, but rarely is it due to any physical change.

What I try to bring to the table is that tragedies can and do happen, but in light of the numbers involved, psychedelics, at least LSD, DMT, Mescaline and Psilocybin, are just about some of the safest things humans consume, even safer then some foods.

I have had some experiences that if I was not well versed in psychedelics would easily have pushed me "over the edge", but only due to my own personal emotional/psychological issues, not due to any type of physiological change.

I am willing to agree that it is very possible for some individuals to be physiologically changed from psychedelic usage, but the statistics indicate that such alterations are extremely rare.

Anything is possible, but some things are not probable. ;)

16. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

HaHaHa.....:smilielol5:

Yeah, right....:2thumbsup:

This guy obviously doesn't know GB, Voyage, eggsprog or myself very well.

I can guarantee you that between the four of us we have read, studied, researched, debated, consumed, grew, produced, and discussed psychedelics and all things relating to them much more than you have.

I know I've been studying psychedelics for over 30 years, I think Voyage has 20+ years under his belt and GB is damn near one of the most knowledgeable members here on the topic.

being the new kid, you would think you might approach some of the responses a little more graciously.

The only thing anyone initially did was ask for a link to your source and you acted like a dick.

Welcome to Hip Forums:sunny:

17. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I was going to go ahead and post the links I have relating to the study and research of psychedelics, but I think if I posted 189 links I would get banned.:p

But I am more than happy to add anything you have to offer to my resources.:)

18. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

Ya well, I shouldn't be a smartass about it. I've been a little punchy lately. It just gets old hearing "spilt glass of orange juice" stories.
    And if not customary, at least disregarded as here say.
    I for sure don't think I'm very learned on these matters and don't hardly know jack about psycho-pharmacology, but I have made a point to read and learn at least a little. But ya, I have experimented with psyches for well over 30 years, with a considerably long break in between.

And yes, all I did ask for was a reference.

I'll say this about 5htp. That doesn't sound like an explaination as to why it can cause hppd. Our bodies naturally produce 5htp, from tryptophan. I used tryptophan way back before it was erroneously banned due to one lab's fuck up, and I use 5htp intermittently now.
    I'm not buying your $200 college textbook to look up one vague reference when I've read paper after paper claiming side effects of 5htp are mild to none and not one reference to hppd. Aside from the fact that I personally haven't had one single negative side effect.

And yes, welcome to Hip :sunny:

19. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Ah, don't be so hard on yourself, you're only human. :mickey:

20. UnknownEntity90

UnknownEntity90 Member

Just because it's possible doesnt mean youll get it. as said before its rare, but it does happen. you dont have to buy a textbook. theres free libraries all over the web. its possible to have physical withdraws from cannabis. does that mean you will? most likely not, but there have been a couple reports of it.