How bad are shrooms for the brain?

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by -_-HitMan-_-, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Lisa000

Lisa000 Banned

The proof is that he was a happy go lucky guy, who had not a problem in the world, and the 6th time he ate mushrooms he had a very bad trip. The next day he was deeply depressed and couldn't think clear. It has been two years and he is still like that. I started a new job recently and I was talking to this really nice guy who was telling me about his long standing problems with depression and all the things he has tried to get rid of it, including electro- shock therapy. When I asked him if he was always depressed he said, "No, i used to get high on mushrooms. I must have eaten some bad ones or something because I was never the same after the last time I got high on them."

Also, you read all the friggin time that, "Magic Mushrooms will cause mental problems in people who have a family history of mental illness." That would not and could not be true unless the mushrooms cause a permanent alteration in the brain chemistry. By the way, I had never seen my friend depressed in his entire life before this.

I am not coming back to this forum. I don't have time to. I just wanted to make people aware of the potential problems that mushrooms can cause. I have no reason to make something like this up. I am not the "Mushroom Police."

2. 1r0n_0x1d3

1r0n_0x1d3 Member

Oohh ok so we are just to take the word of a stranger on the internet and take it as the word of god. If you don't have proof then don't run off at the mouth about it. Your lieing no one says they get high shrooms they trip on shrooms.

3. Sanguine

Sanguine Absolutely no one.

A bad trip is a harrowing experience. And a harrowing experience surely has the potential to induce a long standing state of the blues. I know I've been much more prone to anxiety since my last bad trip. But I speculate that such is probably very psychological in nature and not necessarily as physical. Your mindset can have a lot to do with your brain's chemistry.

You can be a healthy individual in the head, but witnessing and experiencing bouts of horror can surely cause some metal dissonance. Like, for instance, the death of a loved one. A person is likely to feel a great deal of depression at such a time. But, is it safe to assume that the physically separate phenomenon of a family member's death actually altered the brain's chemistry and physically induced depression? Or is it merely ones psychological reaction to such an event that causes the brain be imbalanced?

4. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

I know guy that started taking shrooms like crazy. He stopped meeting with people, you can't talk with him right know, he is just one huge mess.

I'm not saying that shrooms are bad, but that you still shouldn't eat them all the time, because they definitely can damage you.

key is moderation

5. DrummingJoey

DrummingJoey Member

I've had several bad trips and I am just as sane as I was before, if not more so.

6. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Yep....

I, too, heard about the guy who had to run from the cops, and ran through sprinklers, and got fucked up for ever.

Then I saw SLC punk years later..... and realized the (already doubtful at the time) story had been directly transplanted from the movie, and told through several people, and..... that was that.

7. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

This is mental damage, behavioral damage, but not because of physical damage. Technically everything in the brain is phisical so physical change, but not damage, nothing in his brain died or broke, he just acts differently, and he could be cured.

If you start drinking like crazy, you'll stop meeting people and become a mess, too.... and in the long run, you'll probably die from the toxic effects of the alcohol destroying your body, or from an acute alcohol overdose. This is not the case with mushrooms.

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

if you ate them all the time.. your tolerance would get so high, you can eat them til the cows come home and they will do nothing... naddaa, zilch.. same goes with every psychedelic out there.. :mickey:

9. masada

masada Member

How bad are 'shrooms for the brain? About as bad as jogging is for the cardiorespiratory system.

10. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

Every insane person will tell you that he is sane... :)

11. DrummingJoey

DrummingJoey Member

Oh yes, I didn't mean to say I was sane before, just that I didn't get any crazier :dizzy2:

12. 1r0n_0x1d3

1r0n_0x1d3 Member

So does that mean it would take a sane person to admit they are insane?

13. inthydreams911

inthydreams911 Senior Member

I don't think perma-tripping is really a bad thing. I think its more like you opened a certain part of your brain up with the lsd, and every once in awhile you go into that part of the brain while sober. And things become a bit more psychedelic.

But really though you probably had to have 500 mic trips every week throughout the 60s to get that.

I have done acid and mushrooms over 50 times and I never get hppd syndrome. Maybe when Im high Ill get some extra visual distortions but that is about it.

Mushrooms are pretty safe though, especially when taken in the right mind state and setting. The one thing that hurts your head is doing them when you have no energy, or while your on other drugs besides pot. If you do them when you have a sufficient amount of energy, and while your sober or just on pot, then you are pretty much good to go.

14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I agree with the first sentence but I don't believe we can make a definitive statement about how damaging mushrooms can be in the long run. If you look at someone like Terrence Mckenna, he died at a fairly young age and naturally a correlation between his psychedelic use and premature death is going to arise. That's not to say his psychedelic use was a direct cause but it may have sped up the process. Mushroom use in various cultures before the 20th century were used in conditions where they were sacramental and likely used only seasonally when they grew. I'm not sure how much information about their long term safety we can glean from that when comparing it to our culture where people can grow them easily themselves and can use them as frequently as tolerance permits.

As far as acute incidents with mushrooms go, Set and setting needs to be stressed. I certainly don't think Psilocybin mushrooms are like 'russian roulette' but they are definitely a powerful mind altering agent and should be approached with respect and preparation. I also think psychedelic users (particularly if you've had some radically mind blowing trips) should try and be a bit more understanding to some of those that claim to have had some lasting negative effects from some of these psychedelic trips. It gets under my nerves a bit when I see this 'Serves em right' type attitude displayed sometimes when someone is trying to plead a case about themselves or a close friend having a negative impact from psychedelics and psychedelic users are quick to dismiss it, although I do recoginize that many of the acutely horrific psychedelic incidents that I've heard of were when psychedelics were used in a reckless manner. But If psychedelics have taught me anything, it's how fragile the mind and perception can be.

15. EventHorizon

EventHorizon Member

Your asking the wrong question.

How good is your brain for mushrooms?

16. UnknownEntity90

UnknownEntity90 Member

Actually there's a theory that mushrooms along with other serotonergics may cause neuron evolution causing more brain cells.

I want to say it builds your frontal cortex, but I may be mistaken about the exact part.

17. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

not more brain cells but more neuronal connections

18. UnknownEntity90

UnknownEntity90 Member

More neural conncections leads to more neural activity and thus quicker production of cells.

19. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

You have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Experience obviously does not always translate into wisdom.

20. UnknownEntity90

UnknownEntity90 Member

HPPD actually is kind of fun at first, until it slowly leads to manic depressant disorder. The trails and tracers are nice and all. The tightening contraction of muscles daily. Starving yet stomache to restricted to eat. more intenese adhd symptoms and anxiety. Your brain feeling like its going to explode with energy and swelling. Your bones becoming brittle. not sleeping for days, followed by sleeping for weeks. It's like being on crack that makes you hallucinate, but without the feeling of well-being. Violent tendencies. Jail.

There's actually people who have done a single dose of lsd or even prolonged use of 5htp and gotten HPPD I got it from the time I took 100+mg of 2C-E. It causes CNS abnormalities. It causes your 5ht flaps to become blocked with serotoin residue while becoming more sensitive, until another rush of serotonin can be released. There is no cure. You could spend the rest of your life on benzos to escape the symptoms, but there is no cure for the insanity some have experienced.