How Accurate Was Apocalypto?

Discussion in 'History' started by Motion, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Motion

Motion Senior Member

If you saw the Mel Gibson movie Apocalypto here's what some Mayan experts have said about it's accuracy.

2. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

1 person likes this.
  3. Motion

Motion Senior Member

^

That link was about the Aztecs not the Mayans.

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Just seems like dumb things to try and pick on.

Did they really live in straw huts?
    Did they really not see a pyramid before.
    Did they really kill people.
    Did they really eat meat.
    Did the king really sit there
    Was there really an eclipse
    Were women really sold as slaves.

It's just so petty lol. Non of that matters at all. Fucken who cares.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

All four Indania Jones moves btw are as historically correct and factual as any other movie ever created.

>.>

6. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

who the fuck knows for sure,
    I wasn't actually there, neither was anyone alive, so why the hell even ask the question you did?
    that movie is Gibson's take on it, but he wasn't there either, so still fanciful imagination= 2% fact/98% bullshit.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I wish Mel Gibson was allowed to do that Holocaust movie and the one about the Vikings. He does awesome movies, they'd be fantastic.

8. StellarCoon

Fair. But then there's this:

:D

9. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

hmmm, for someone like Gibson a Holocaust movie could be verrrry interesting.....

3 people like this.
  10. StellarCoon

not a good idea :D

11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I agree who gives a shit about how accurate it was, it was an excellent movie and that's all I care about.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Why wouldn't it be a good idea? Cause Mel is apparently anti-Semite? Lol. I just mean look at this flicks like Braveheart and Apocalyotica even with the inaccuracies, the look and feel of the movie is still authentic.

A Mel Gibson war flick would put down Dunkirk ten fold as if it was made for children.

Same with a Vikings movie, make that tv series look like playschool.

Most other directors wouldn't even bother with things but Mel will get the language right and everything to make it feel authentic.

If Apocalyptica was not done in its native tongue, it would be 3/10 stars. It wouldn't work. It wouldn't feel right. Same as that Jesus movie, The Passion. Which was a Gibson movie too I think? See he just makes it feel good. It's not all about the flashy effects, he don't need them, he doesn't need artificial cosmetics because he just does it right to begin with.

I don't think he got involved with the Holocaust movie because I think he'd have delivered a few truths nobody wants to listen to as he already was getting like that when he got arrested for saying bad things about people. Plus, I'm sure the fat cats in Berlin paid the dudes bail in favor of not producing such a film and in turn, I think Downfall is probably the most authentic war film about that era.

Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers all greay filmed by Tom Hanks etc. but they were typical American Hero films and series and although based on true events, were completely fictional, even the real people based in the shows said so.

13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I like the movie a lot but still also care about how accurate it is. Same with Braveheart: it remains awesome despite being aware of the historical inaccuracies. Doesn't mean I don't care at all about those inaccuracies.

The thing in Apocalyptico I thought of the first time after watching is that the movie seems to be set on the mainland. At the end you see this ship of Columbus arriving. Very powerful shot/scene, the movie would not be the same without it. But Columbus didn't arrive at the mainland.

14. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

While since I saw it, but were the 3 ships those of Columbus? Could have been the 3 under Cordoba which did land in Maya territory in the Yucatan.

15. Asmodean

^
    Hope they were ment to be Cordoba's ships indeed! Probably so..

16. deleted

deleted Visitor

Movie is a whole lot better with a couple grams of magic mushrooms..

17. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

loved that movie...might watch it again soon now that ive been reminded of it

18. Motion

Motion Senior Member

I don't think no historical movie has to be 100 percent accurate. It just needs to be generally accurate. Because for many people Apocalypto will be their only info about the Maya.

I put more focus on the human sacrifice part. From what I've read the movie didn't reflect human sacrifice as it was known to have been practiced by the Maya. The movie's human sacrifice scenes are actually more reflective of how it was done among the Aztec.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

The idea of a forced sacrifice is pretty dismal in my mind. I don't think that's how it works lol like you just kidnap people and kill them and that pleases your gods?

I don't think so. If I was a god, I'd want a proper sacrifice. Someone that's actually willing to sacrifice themselves, that's a sacrifice. What they performed was a Holocaust or just mass murder.

No wonder they ceased to exist with that thought logic, them gods never came back. Probably looked at it from the spaceship like "well we fucked up, let's try again elsewhere"

20. Asmodean

Well, the best historical movies are for a large part regarded as such because the makers strived to make it as accurate as possible