hospitalization

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by prismatism, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I also had a friend that was on anti-depressants and started to rely on them
    and after he was taken off of them, instead of depressed he was super angry and violent, he got his ass whooped like 6 times before he learned to settle down..

I have another (semi)friend that became an addict to just about everything while on anti-depressants
    I don't know how much the anti-depressants are to blame since he actually started out on inhalants (endust) but still, they were his next step before becoming a junkie
    after I stopped my relations with him I heard that he got caught with heroin, took a deal to rat out the dealer, and was then put on the run because the cops didn't give a shit about them or give him any means of protection from the dealer's gang

I am very anti-anti-depressants because of these many experiences

maybe the psychiatrists around here just really suck, but form what I understand Pittsburgh is suppossed to be a really good place for the insane (we import schizos from all over the country, you are constantly running into them on the buses)

2. fulmah

fulmah Chaser of Muses

I'm sorry that some of your friends have had rough experiences trying antidepressants. I don't think it's fair to try and influence someone else with problems of their own from considering them, but that's my opinion. I certainly don't want to hijack prismatism's thread debating the issue.

Back on topic... prismatism, I wish you the best of luck figuring out what you want to do... I think you're doing the right thing in looking for help, and if you keep your wits about you and learn as much as you can, you'll be successful resolving them. You're young and taking the responsibility that you appear to be taking shows maturity beyond your years. I still suggest talking to a pschologist, if at all possible. I know you said that transportation is a problem, but there are plenty of psychologists that will communicate via phone, or even email.

3. lynsey

lynsey Banned

Your 'friend' and your perceptions of his experience are not as accuratte as the thousands of people who hurt themselves or others because of mental health issues. I am not doubting that psychiatrists over medicate, it happened to me. I seriously have a hard time carrying about anything or getting upset to the point where my life got out of control. But I know other's who need meds because they have a true chemical imbalance and it's not fair to deprive them of a happy and productive life.

4. the6peace8keeper

the6peace8keeper Born Again Satanist

It sounds like you got a few problems, who dont, be be aware that on top of all the docs wanting to put youths on meds these times carry with you your whole life.

As an example so at 30 you go for a job or position that might require you to explain why youe were like this or doing this at 16 and how it can and does place walls on your future.

But by all means if you think you need help get it, thats whats really important, I agree with the folks who say talk to mom.

5. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I'm not saying don't go to a psychiatrist, if yit is an extreme case, most certainly you should
    otherwise, I think the psychiatrists should be saved as more or less a last resort

6. solar_eclipse

solar_eclipse Member

you are definetly taking your first big step by saying you want to do something, and in your gut you know what you need. I had this sinking feeling and then a moment of calm where i could think for just a minute, and those were usually the times I admitted to myself I wasn't going to do me or anyone around me any good without some SERIOUS help.

7. prismatism

prismatism loves you

i would really like to work it all out myself, and learn from it if i can. the only thing i'm really scared of is if i get in a self-destructive haze again. that's the only way i see hospitalization really helping, in the long run. i definately don't want to end up like my mom. she's so overmedicated for things i don't think she really has, and sees the fact that she "needs" pills as an excuse to be self indulgent.

thanks, everyone, by the way..

8. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

I am sorry to hear how much you are suffering.

The decision to go to the hospital or not is a difficult decision to make. I do agree with person who said you should only use the hospital as a last resort. Only if you are planing to kill yourself or someone else or if you think your impulsiveness may escalate to the point where you could get yourself into legal trouble. For the most part a hospital can only try to a. keep you safe while you are in crisis and try to help address the immediate crisis (usually with medication). Then, they refer you to a therapist or clinic in the community. Hospitals very greatly in the quality of care they provide. Some are very good and others are very poor in the treatment they provide.

Another alternative you might want to think about is something called partial hospital. Many communities have these types of programs. The way these programs work is you attend the program during the day which have doctors, therapists, case managers etc to help you. Throughout the day you attend various groups. These groups are often better that those you would attend at a hospital. However, these programs vary as much as hospitals, some are good and others are useless. Anyway the point here is that you attend the program during the day then go home in the afternoon.

In addition, many communities also have crisis housing which is basically like a group home where you can stay if you are experiencing distressing symptoms.
    In many cases you can use one or both programs to hep you through your immediate crisis.

Both of these programs are 100% voluntary so if you don’t like them you can leave/quit. That is not so with a hospital. Depending on you admission status, you can not just leave a hospital if you do not like the treatment you are getting.

It might be worth looking to see if any of these programs are available to you in your area.

On another note:
    Once you overcome your immediate crises you might want to look into some other non-medical methods of addressing your suffering in addition to clinical treatment. For example, you could look into eastern philosophy such as Buddhism and even start practicing meditation or yoga. Simple exercise can be a great help especially when you are becoming impulsive. While nothing (even clinical treatment) can eliminate pain, you can at least learn how to end suffering.

My best wishes to you.