Hope?

Discussion in 'People' started by Deleted member 315401, Feb 11, 2022.

?

Do you think hope is useful or detrimental?

1. Useful

2. Detrimental

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Hope- feeling or inspiring optimism about a future event.

Some say that you should live in the present and not think about the future. So does that mean you should not have hope? People also say that you should not have expectations. Is hoping for something the same as expecting it?
    Others contend that without hope there is no will to try.

Do you think hope lifts you up or holds you back?

DrRainbow likes this.
  2. arizonacook

arizonacook Banned

i think HOPE is one of my most used words in my vocabulary. I'm not a very religious person. ---- but I HOPE you are having a good day----- I hope they have chocolate donuts still at the store---- I hope we still have some coffee left----- I hope my favorite shirt is nice and clean!

MoonGoddess and scratcho like this.
  3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Seems useful : Hope the movie will be good----hope the date will work out---hope I get a raise---stuff like that. The opposite would seem rather stupid: I sure the meal will be lousy.

MoonGoddess likes this.
  4. arizonacook

arizonacook Banned

well that might depend on who's cooking-- (ok thats not nice)

MoonGoddess and scratcho like this.
  5. What about just being neutral?

I wonder if this movie will be good?

If you hope it will be good but it's not you will be disappointed.

scratcho likes this.
  6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

As I so often am!:)

MoonGoddess likes this.
  7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there's always room for hope because everything is always changing. not always visibly and not always for the better (or worse), but changing.
    yes, assume nothing because the unknown is always unknown, but never forget, being unknown, doesn't prevent the good stuff any more then it does the bad,
    and there's always a whole lot more in between then ever either one.

does it serve a purpose? sure. of opposing depression, which accomplishes nothing, so at least, it keeps us from throwing away what we can do,
    even, no matter how small a part of the statistic it might seem, each and every one of us always part of it as well.

8. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Ummmm - Question: - Who is Hope ???

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I have great difficulty seeing 'hope' as anything other than a sincere longing that reality be not as it is, but as I think it should be, and that such unfulfilled demands that the universe conform to our desires is the root of all suffering.
    On the other hand, I see the effects of the nihilism of hopelessness; suicide up 35%, overdose up 28.5%, murder up 30%, assault up 12%. A widespread and increasing anomie, with it's resultant rise of Fascism, White supremacy, and conspiracy theories. Some sense of internalized and collective hope and meaning appears to be necessary on both individual and societal levels, something which "the American Dream" has abjectly failed to provide for anybody but the top 10%.

Deaths of Despair

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    Idlewild, themnax and ~Zen~ like this.
  10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

we don't live in a universe of who's, but a universe of minerals.
    i do recall several who's though. the one who threw oranges at people in asia, who was being paid to be funny who i didn't think he was,
    and then there was the hope who was married by bliss, yes real human's names. the ten dollar an acre swamp and desert bliss.

can't imagine what it would be detrimental to. it doesn't prevent planning for worst cases.
    at worst its mostly harmless.

11. “Having hope means you are trusting the process. Having an expectation means you are trusting the results. Having a hope means that the future is uncertain. Having an expectation means that you are predetermining the future.”

myndtyme and Piobaire like this.
  12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

and an uncertain future is simple honesty. it is indeed expectation the facilitates disappointment.
    really the whole point of hope is that you don't need expectation.
    (as long as you don't put your hope in expectation because some on or some book tells you to)

there are of course some things, most things, a great many things, that most of the time, preform so much as expected, that we never notice that they do, until they don't.

(it is also though, that because of strangeness there is beauty, and we can enjoy the ride,
    and it is not strangeness that is the threat, but rather by far, all the greatest risks are on the side of the familiar,
    or perhaps i should say, what we call familiar)

13. Rabbit240

Rabbit240 Banned

With out Hope, one has only depression and despair to look forward to

14. zer0

zer0 Members

I went through a long cynical phase (like 10 years) where I refused to waste my time chasing hope. I only followed clear paths & logical strategies.

I accomplished more than I ever did at any other time in my life. BUT it was also the most miserable & exhausting 10 years of my life. My conclusion: hope is basically a drug that makes you feel better. In small doses it can keep you going through a hard day, but too much of it will turn you into a worthless dreamer.

myndtyme likes this.
  15. MrJingles

MrJingles Members

Depends how realistic yours hopes and dreams are and how determined and resourceful you are etc.

16. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

Something they don't touch on in that interview is the skyrocketing cost of housing. Just a few decades ago, someone could get a decent ranch house in a good neighborhood for under $100k. These days, that same house would sell for over $500k! It's ridiculous! So even if you didn't lose your job during a recession or because of automation or outsourcing, if you wanted to buy a home, you'd be out of luck — especially if you lacked a four year degree. Somebody making twice the minimum wage would be lucky to be able to afford a basic one bedroom apartment in today's market.

It's understandable that some people have given up and there's a "deaths of despair" crisis. People don't have hope for the future — not only because of the cost of housing, but the cost of higher education is out of reach for many. There's simply no way for many people these days to achieve the American Dream.

myndtyme likes this.
  17. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

Hope comes from the belief that one has the abilities and resources to achieve one's goals.

18. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

If people think it's hopeless, resistance if futile. You will be assimilated!

19. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Other than suicide, what exactly can despair do for us?

20. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Do you think you'll ever find the REAL truth or be able to tell whether or not you've found it? How do you know you're not a brain in a jar in some mad scientist's lab, and that your reality isn't a virtual reality computer program run by aliens or diablolical robots. Faith, a bet on what seems plausible, is the only way out of the conundrum, and hope gives us the energy to act on our faith.