Honey??

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by RedStar, Jun 1, 2004.

1. RedStar

RedStar Member

So, i know that some vegans eat honey and others do not. I have been wondering for a while why some vegans dont eat it. I mean, the bees make the honey no matter whether someones farming them or not. you put them in a little hive and they make honey.. not like getting milk from cows where they're being forced to produce more and more milk... the bees just make honey.. nobody is forcing them to. so whats up ?
    RedStar

2. clawsy

clawsy Member

cause they can get hurt in the process and the queen gets killed by the farmer so they bees wont take off and find a new home.

thats what i read.....i ll try find the article

3. mrsshf

mrsshf Member

4. RedStar

RedStar Member

cool..
    now i'm wondering what happens to the honey if nobody comes to collect it? does it just sit there in the hive serving no particular purpose?

5. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I'm not vegan (yet) but avoid honey as a rule. It's not a hard thing to cut out and it eases my mind a little (she says having eaten two omlettes in as many days :)) I don't distinctly remember liking honey much anyway.

TTFN
    Sage

6. mosaicthreads

mosaicthreads Member

What are the vegan replacements for honey? I'm not aware of them and very interested.

7. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Corn syrup
    Maple syrup
    Golden syrup

Probably some more too. Those are just off the top of my head.

TTFN
    Sage

8. Ital Lightning

Ital Lightning Member

Anyone ever heard honey is toxic to your system, just somethin I read.

9. cynical_otter

cynical_otter Bleh!

clover honey.

it's not a bee product.

what's funny is that I called my mom about this thread and she laughed hysterically.

she worked on a bee farm in montana..well not really a bee farm but the farmer had bee hives and he sold the honey locally.

They dont kill the queen bee.

They dont cut her wings.

they dont kill off any second generationers.

the bees are free to come and go as they please.The hive is their home.

bees dont live any longer then a couple of months..if that.and during the winter...they die while new baby bees incubate.come the spring..all those bees you see..are new youngling bees that are starting the cycle over again.not to mention...that bees are some of the hardiest bugs out there. they can handle anything.

Alot of these myths about honey are simply fallacies created by people who believe that anyone but themselves treat all animals like crap.

people who've never actually been to a bee farm or rather to any farm at all.

and honey is not toxic...it's better for you then sugar..especially these nasty man-made sugars.

and as for bee products in General...

Ever heard of Burt's Bees? I started using this stuff about 3 years ago..and I have yet to even get one zit or blemish or discoloring.my skin always looks refreshed.it's all natural.you can actually eat Burt's Bees products.

and they arent tested on animals.

10. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

yeah, we went to a honey factory - the bees seemed fine - and the queens were certainly there.
    furthermore, the company (arataki) gives money from their profits to stop the torture of sun bears in cambodia - so buying the honey may be a small evil, but it goes to stop a bigger one.

And i've never heard that honey is toxic - indeed, active manuka honey is supposed to have health benifits.

11. clawsy

clawsy Member

if you want to tell me that bee keeping isnt cruel do you think you could post some evidence, i cant be basing my actions on what someones mummy said, about working on a bee farm... that isnt really a bee farm.

"we went to a honey factory - the bees seemed fine - and the queens were certainly there"

Apperently they replace the older queens with new ones, they dont leave the hive without one, they kill the established queen once shes a certain age and replace her, they do this to control the hive.
    And of course when you go on a tour, things are going to look nice and comfy, they arent going to do anything gross looking whislt their customers are watching close!

12. birbsofafeather

birbsofafeather Member

honey is not toxic for humans to consume unless the bees are geting pollen from poisinous flowers and i am vegan and i eat honey because i also love the earth and try to be kind to it so its better for all of us and myself that i eat local honey from people who live down the road from me then eat agave nectar or sugar shipped half way around the world using tons of fossil fuels that destroy our beatiful earth

13. birbsofafeather

birbsofafeather Member

i feel that pretty harsh dude why do we have to pass such corrosive words towards each other i live by different ethic than you and the seems to piss you off pretty bad i hope that we can resolve this with out the self rightuous vegan army coming and killing me

14. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Someone on the old forums suggested that corn syrup is the margarine of syrups (really not good for you).

15. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

maybe that is why i wasnt allowed to eat honey when i was small. my mom told me it had the same stuff as asprin and small kids shouldnt take asprin????????????? i dunno just what my mom told me when i was lil.

16. metro

metro self-banned

Infants under 1 year can get a potentially fatal form of Botulism from consuming honey. The digestive system in older children and adults is more acidic so the Botulism is destroyed.
    I love honey myself, but I'm not a vegan, just vegetarian. I think most beekeepers adore their bees, I remember the bee man who had a bunch of hives near our farm, he treated them well. Bees are absolutely fascinating.

17. Kiz

Kiz Member

Huh? I'm confused. I always though clover honey was just honey where the bees had collected the nectar from clover flowers, instead of blue gum honey, or leatherwood honey, or whatever, which are made from the flowers of blue gum trees, or leatherwood trees.

What is "clover honey" made from?

18. mrsshf

mrsshf Member

19. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

i wasnt able to read everyone's posts but my uncle has beehives up at our cabin, the bees are totally free to come and go as they please, he just collects the honey every so often, as for the queen i remember my cousin telling my something he does with them.. he possibly kills her? i really have no idea..

20. freedbypeace

freedbypeace A Woman Left Lonely

I personally do not eat homey but I know plenty of vegans that do.