Homophobes: Hypocrites?

Discussion in 'Gay Polls' started by Dragonvine, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Dragonvine

Dragonvine I do Glass

Was just thinking the other day... Homophobes say being gay is 'unnatural'... Yet most of this world is unnatural now!! The pc you're reading this on, the cars they drive, every single man made thing in unnatural!!

And ok there may be a flaw in this argument, that everything has to come from somewhere: The plastic making your fridge comes from oil from the middle of the earth, the metal making your car engines comes from ores in rocks, BUT there are discusting processes to get these ores and things out!! AND then theres the processes to make the stuff!!

So really its unnatural!!

What does everyone think? D'ya Think I could use this when confronted by a homophobe xD AHA they'd be struck down!!

2. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I agree with your overall sentiment (no problem with homosexuals) but I think you are comparing apples and oranges. When people say homosexuality is unnatural, they are referring to human behavior. They argue that the sexual act is for procreation, and with homosexual behavior procreation is impossible. So it's not simply a question of what is natural, it is a question of utility. As I said, I agree with your overall point, but I don't think this particular argument would be a successful defense of sexual freedom.

3. meridianwest

meridianwest Senior Member

this is not a good parallel and there's no logic behind your reasoning at all.

technology is not unnatural rather it is artificial. and all human beings are natural -- homosexual, heterosexual, incapacitated, blind, etc, etc. (a gay guy that would be unnatural would be the one that was cloned for example). homosexual behavior is not unnatural (no-one can say that and get away with it) but it is abnormal. (Merriam-Webster: abnormal -- deviating from the normal or average). that's true. people who are exclusively homosexual comprise about 10% of the population and that makes exclusive homosexual behavior not normal.

but i wouldn't go so far as to say that about gay sex as such. i've known a lot of guys who say they're straight (and really are straight) who have had some sort of sexual experience with another guy. some of the studies have been made that have concluded that most of the guys (i don't know about women) have had at least one sexual encounter with another guy in their life (i think that's quite probable). so that would make gay sex just as normal as heterosexual sex, but not exclusive homosexuality.

4. Dragonvine

Dragonvine I do Glass

Thing is most homophobes I've asked or I've heard have said its unnatural ><

Ah well ^^

5. meridianwest

meridianwest Senior Member

yeah they use that word a lot. but if they want to be taken seriously on this argument they should use correct terms and say 'abnormal' instead of 'unnatural'. when i've explained this to some homophobic people i've met they usually retort "whatever" and stop arguing.

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I always have a laugh when I hear the sex is for procreation thing.

Like thats the main reason straight people fuck, its about procreation not about having your eyes roll back into your head.

Yes, and most first pregnancies are planned, straights marry out of love not regular sex, everyone has a "soulmate" its not about the hottest partner you can get, everyone gets the same joy out of parenting regardless of how smart / cute the kids are, and Elvis is alive and well and living in Ohio.

Geez, I'm cynical today