"holes in your brain"

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by chris, May 10, 2004.

1. chris

chris Member

the most common argument from ppl i hear at school against LSD is that it puts "holes in your brain"

does anyone have anything to offer about this? is it just some stupid rumor abotu acid like how ppl say acid is stored in ur spine? is there any evidence abuot acid killing brain cells?

what about the other psychedelics, do they put holes in your brain?

2. derrick

derrick Member

have all of these people gather around in a group, and make a big sign reading "ignorance is bliss" -- have them hold it, and take a group picture, with them smiling.

and tell them if they believe LSD does that, then they should believe that sperm causes brain damage for any male producing it.

3. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

About the only drug I know of that "puts holes in your brain" would be MPTP, and that's hardly a recreational drug. And even then, the "holes" aren't actually holes, but destroyed cells in a specific part of the brain.

LSD doesn't kill brain cells, accumulate in your spine (or any other body part), cause birth defects, or damage chromosomes.

4. mixmaster

mixmaster Member

In actuality, speaking from a purely toxicological standpoint, LSD is probably the safest drug you can do, specifically because of the incredibly small dosages involved, generally from 50 to 200 micrograms. At a level that small, even Cyanide probably wouldn't give you much more than a mild stomachache.
    Psycologically, as we say in OZ, that is a horse of a different color!

5. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If confronted with brain scans, one they are probally from an MDMA 'patient' and two they are not real, just have the contrast misadjusted.

6. mixmaster...hear lots of people talk about the psychological effects...but nobody clearly explains...what has it done to you psychologically?

7. Incubus

Incubus Banned

I have a friend... or was it me... im not telling. but "they" cant talk to people in person very well because of how slow their brain is to articulate words now, they did a lot of shrooms and smoked a lot of pot. i call it stupified.

8. Ocean Byrd

Ocean Byrd Artificial Energy

Are you sure that's the cause of the speach impediment? Maybe it was preexisting...

9. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

lysergic rewires the brain in some ways. neurons find new paths and connect together in ways that they didnt before...that's why people say that they hear colours and see sounds

i thought it was ecstasy that made 'holes in brains" i watched a thing on oprah a couple of years ago where they were showing holey brainscans of kids who did a LOT of x

10. AreYouExperienced

AreYouExperienced American Victim

Yeah, they originally said X supposedly put holes in your brain, but they later found out they "mistakenly" used crystal meth. I don't know how and where that got changed into LSD putting holes in your brain. It's like that "telephone" game that you play where you whisper something person to person around a circle of people..

11. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

actually the theory is acid allows new neurological pathways to fire and function. so supposedly you use more of your brain.

12. sag aloo

sag aloo Member

acid dont put holes in ur brain fucking plain & simple - read some medical research rATHER THAN lIstening to dickheads

13. mixmaster

mixmaster Member

Shroomman,

Regarding the LSD experience, I can only say that I would not be the person you are communicating with, but most probably one of Bushs Cabinet, (LOL), or something to that effect. In any case, my life would have been drastically different, and I mean in a bad way, not a good one. I got involved around age 17, and it changed my entire perspective on life, people, the world I exist in, the politics, everything. I have probably taken the "Good Stuff" 400 times...I am not talking about the crap that passes for LSD today-I mean real-Like 'Blue Cheer', 'Mr. Natural', 'Orange Sunshine', The famous Owsley 'Orange Barrels', 'Green Windowpane' and so on...hits ranged from 100 to 200 micrograms, and I can tell you that until you go to that level, "You ain't tripped, Man"...There is a difference between reading a travel brochure and actually winding up in that place...It is an epiphany, an unknown door opening, a new way of perceiving the world...probably the most eclectic thing you will experience, mentally speaking. Rather than dulling you, as all the anti-drug propagandists preach-it is the opposite...it increases your need for knowledge of all things. Subjects that were once mundane become fascinating, subjects once considered relevant wind up on the trash heap...However, those are MY views, not yours..it is all dependant on the individual-it affects everyone differently, generally for the better, in my opinion. I haven't taken the stuff in over 20 years because I don't need to anymore...I have gotten what I wanted out of it, and as Leary said, "It lasted for a split second and a million years, but now it's over, and it's your turn"....Mixmaster

14. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

alcohol puts holes in your brain...
    (korsikov's psychosis? something bad from years of boozin' anyways...)
    ~
    ~
    ~
    "i'll have another beer, please"

15. serra

serra tentacle girl

i think that TV puts more holes in the brain than any drug ever would.

16. chris

chris Member

i heard today it erodes the top of the spine killing nerves

17. bradleydontpush

bradleydontpush Member

that was a wonderful point. I've found that acid does really no permenant effect. Me and my friends have done a fair amount of LSD and were not really messed up at all...ok...maybe a little.

18. NitrousBum

NitrousBum Member

Well, DXM can cause "holes" of sorts http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/dxm_health1.shtml.

Using LSD even a few times slightly lowers your ability to differentiate between colors. The more you use it and the more recently youve used it seems to directly correlate to how severe this condition is. It is sort of similar to HPPD apparently. It wouldnt stop me though.

19. The chemical in "shrooms" that produces the high is c E52 alled psilocybin. When you eat mushrooms, psilocybin is converted into a chemical called psilocin. Psilocin is then absorbed into the blood stream where it is taken to the brain.

Psilocin has a chemical structure very similar to the naturally occurring neurotransmitter serotonin. Neurotransmitters are chemicals that cells in the brain (neurons) use to communicate with each other. Varying levels of serotonin will affect sleep, appetite, sensory perception, temperature regulation, pain suppression and mood.

Serotonin is taken up or absorbed by neurons at receptor sites known as the 5-HT receptors. There are various types of 5-HT receptors, but for our purpose we'll generalize. Because psilocin's chemical structure is very similar to serotonin, it is also taken up by the 5-HT receptor sites (as are many other common hallucinogens including LSD and mescaline).

After the psilocin molecules bind with the 5-HT receptor sites, little is known about what happens. As of right now, all that we know is that if the wrong molecule goes in the right receptor site, some pretty funky things happen- thus you get the effects of mushrooms. What we do know is that psilocin is NOT physically harmful to the body or brain. Psychological conditions can arise from a very profound experience, but no physical harm is done by psilocin.

In short: psilocin molecules from the mushrooms bind with serotonin receptor sites in the brain and cause the mind to do strange things… and scientists aren’t quite sure why.

20. serra

serra tentacle girl

i heard today that global warming isn't real and that america truly is the land of the free.

things aren't always true, apparently.