hmmm...think like a man, think like a woman

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Jedi, Jan 6, 2005.

1. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

while i would prefer sex, as a SAHM i can't quite get over the "it's HIS money, he gets to pick how it's spent" mentality, and still get a kick outta him buying me things. i thought the joke was funny, because i'm related to a lot of women just liek the one in the original joke. therefore, i don't consider is sexist.

2. superNova

superNova Member

wow i love how everyone has enjoyed quoting me and picking apart everything i've said. i made a simple comment that i think the joke isn't funny, even if you like sexist jokes, and it's become a huge issue. are some of you that insecure about something you think is so "right" that you have to argue your point into the ground?

3. David54

David54 Member

Well, I didn't think that it was all that funny. But I didn't think it was sexist either.

In fact, I think that it makes a constructive point about our gender roles. And these gender roles do exist, no matter how much we'd like to disolve them or how many people in this forum go beyond them. Yes, it does deal with the steriotypical man and woman. Get over it!

The wonderfull thing about jokes is that they can bring up important points and make us look at things in a new light. And they can do this while minimising discomfort. It's easier to talk about dificult issues if we can laught while we do.

4. mynameiskc

dont' be such a baby. i quoted you because i had something to say about what you said. if you don't want it happening, don't talk. but since that's not gonna happen, don't get mad when we do it.

5. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Excellent point, Nova.

Jedi had a right to post the joke. OK. Nova had every right to disagree it wasn't funny, and explain why.

Does she HAVE to like it? That is a little silly to think she is somehow being "politically correct" (which is a term that some people use as an insult every time they want to be abusive or insulting and be free to be racist or sexist or agist ect and don't want to be called on it, IMO)

Nova is NOT "being a baby" because she didn't think it was funny (in fact, figuring out why it wasn't is a bit more mature than just immediately kneejerking that it was funny ("haha the chick doesn't like to have sex, she likes to shop haha haha, that was the most amazing insight into human behavior I have heard all year! huh huh huh huh. ") nor can she be denied the "right" to think it is sexist. That is like telling an African American person "Hey, that N***er joke was funny, you have no "right" to say it was racist."

If jokes like that get you off, so be it. :rolleyes:

But Nova and others certainly have the right to NOT think it had any humor to it.

6. mynameiskc

that's not the baby-ness i was referring to. i'm okay with her not liking the joke, i'm referring to her getting pissy because people quoted her and disagreed with her. that's being a baby.

7. Maggie Sugar

I hope I'm not speaking for Nova, but I I think she was just trying to explain herself. You would, if something offended you, no?

8. mynameiskc

well, i figure complaining about people quoting you and disagreeing with particular points is nothing to complain about on a message board.

9. superNova

superNova Member

kc, if you're going to call me a baby i guess i'll call you a poophead. :)

while i'd say namecalling is more babyish than anything i've said... ;)... i was just saying i don't get why everyone got all up at arms about what i said. i was asked by like three different people to explain what i meant (when i'm sure EVERYONE knew exactly what i meant), and then when i did, everyone jumped all over it. i just think it's funny that so many people were in a hurry to defend themselves against my tiny comment, and i think that points to some insecurity.

and thank you maggie, you got my point.

10. Megara

Megara Banned

i hardly see the comparison between this joke and a joke calling blacks n*ggers. One is a joke and not to be taken seriously. The other is a disparaging remark ONLY used in hate. It's complete sensationalism to compare the two. They ARENT the same.

11. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

Ahem,
    Now it is save to say that!
    As it has been demonstrated here on this thread again and again, most women are overly emotional and illogical beings whose comprehension of things is beyond rational thinking and transcends all modes of critical thought.

12. mynameiskc

i hold to my stance that if you don't want people quoting you and disagreeing, don't say anything.

13. superNova

superNova Member

blah blah wah wah this thread is over i quit :D

14. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

What a baby!

15. Maggie Sugar

Meg. if you don't see the close similarity, you are missing a LOT. MOST people who make racist jokes don't think they are participating in "hate" to them "it's just a joke, don't be so PC, I wasn't serious. " Usually followed by some "some of my best friends are black" comment or somesuch bullshit. I grew up in the Cicero area of Chicago, where racism was rampant, I am well aquainted with racism, yet most racists will VEHEMENTLY deny they are racists. Jokes can be funny, or they can be used to hurt and perpetuate stereotypes and -isms. Language is VERY powerful.

Nova made a simple, understandable comment, and the "self protection" mode that some got into was unbeleivable. If any really just thought this "joke" was just a funny joke, and nothing more, then the there was no need for the transparent over defensiveness we are seeing.

Jedi, your last comment was really disappointing. If you felt you needed to post the "joke" I am not going to interfere in that, but making fun of people for standing up for something she believes in is something I thought you were above. :mad:
    quote by Jedi:
    Do you really feel that way? If so, then Nova was RIGHT, this joke had a HELL of a lot more to it than just being a joke. It was a political statement, which illustrated contempt for womyn. Which you are denying, and yet, confirming with the post above at the same time.

Which is it, just a joke or an illustration of contempt?

16. Megara

Megara Banned

Sadly, i think its you who are missing a lot and doing a disservice to everyone who has been a victim of racism by comparing the two.

The word n*gger isnt a joke, plain and simple.

Racism isnt a joke. Joking that women like to shop and men want sex is NOT the same.

I believe its more that people are sick and tired of the uptight analness of some americans. Hopefully there is a backlash against the rampant PC that we have in this country. PC is meant to stop things like N*gger and jewish jokes, not to stop everything that someone might construe as offensive. Where does that leave comedy?

17. Maggie Sugar

If you thought it was funny, with no harm done to no one, why the need for so much defensivness? The usage of repeatedly calling things "PC" is just an excuse to use stereotypes against others, while keeping oneself safe from retribution from those you are stereotyping.

You say racism isn't a joke. I wholeheartely agree. Neither is sexism. Claiming a joke is sexist doesn''t do a "disservice" to those who are victims of racism. How could it? Racism in wrong because it intends to assume that one race is superior to the other. Sexism assumes one sex is superior to the other. How are they different? Unless you think it is OK to diss womyn, and not allow them to defend themselves. Really, Meg, you should know better.......

It wasn't just the shopping, it was the implication that he was "punishing her" for saying no to sex. If you liked the joke, fine. I don't care. But people have the right to think it was silly and not funny. Not a major infringement in the sphere of a large number of sexual inpropriaties, but Nova and others had the right to assert objection.

As for the last line in your post "where does that leave comedy?" If you think things are only funny if they hurt people, you ARE missing something.

18. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

What I found offensive about the joke was the assumption that women inherently love shopping, that they'll accept their man's money without question (because he's the provider right, we can't possibly make enough money to make ourselves satisfied if we attempted to), that men always want sex (some do, some don't, just like us chicks), and that a woman would choose to lead a a guy she's involved with on, only to say no. If I'm only in a snuggling mood, I'll say so. If I want to purchase something, I'll work and save up the money to purchase it (I'm not at SAHM or a homemaker, I'm just not that talented at cleaning and being responsible about house-type activities.. great with work, just not that, go figure)

and if some guy pulled this on me, you can bet it there would be a fight about to happen, and probably I'd break up with him to.

but hey, them's my two cents. ya'll are free to find it funny, just don't try to pull that stunt on me.

19. Megara

Megara Banned

Because i'm tired of PC ruining everything? As much as the PC squad has a right to complain about these types of jokes, i have a right to complain about the PC squad.

Why are you defensive about me using the term PC?

Now this brings up an interesting point. We agree that racism is believing one race is better than another.

Now this jokes portrays women as not interested in sex and shopaholics. It also portrays men as sex fiends, vindictive and controlling.

So my question is, what sex is shown in the better light here? Personally, i think the view of males in this joke is particularly bad and not pleasant. Heck, i think women get off easy since it is MEN who are being shown as vindicative, ruthless and controlling. How is this sexist agaisnt WOMEN!?

Its a joke. It plays against stereotypes of both sexes.

20. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

Actually it was a joke, it was posted as a joke, I don't think you need to analyse this so much. I was not feeling any contempt for women and I was not trying to show that males are some how superior to women. If I did and if you feel that way I sincerely apologize. It was a joke that I thought was funny and I have posted it here. However, I did think that taking this joke so seriously and so personally like some did here... is ridiculous. Women are not a seperate group, this joke is not about sexism, women are in all modes of society just like men are in all modes of society, if you make fun of some of the types of relations in between men and women that does not spread or promote sexism.
    Ofcourse then again I can be wrong, but then again you can take a little thing like a kid crying "I want my mommy" and say "Oh look , the children are taught to love their moms more than their dads".

Anyway, the point is, its a joke, you take it or not its up to you..