hmmm...think like a man, think like a woman

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Jedi, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Thank you for outlining why you think it is a sexist joke. I can see your point of view but I can also see those who think it isn't sexist, because there IS some truth in that joke, and personally that is why I find it funny.

Besides, in MY opinion it would only be sexist if it was saying ALL women were like that. But it wasn't, it was talking about one couple in particular. And that one woman really could be like that, because suprise, there ARE women like that out there... so it could also just be the plain truth, and the reason why it is so funny is because BOTH men and women can identify with it.

2. superNova

superNova Member

ok, next time someone makes a joke about african americans, or hispanic people, or whoever, maybe you could explain to them how it's ok because there is "some" truth to it.

not trying to start an argument, just trying to stop the hate ;)

3. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

But what about the stereotype of the guy wanting sex, or being cheap? It could be sexist either way, and therefore is not sexist... :rolleyes: You must see things from both sides... :rolleyes:

4. superNova

superNova Member

hehe i don't think it works that way ;) it definitely stereotypes both men and women and is therefore lame. you shouldn't have to resort to stereotypes to make a joke.

5. Soulless||Chaos

I think the opposing stereotypes cancel each other out, it's more making fun of the interaction of influences and though patterns... :rolleyes: Besides, where do stereotypes come from? They aren't completely made up... People generaly find things they can relate to funnier, so it must be at least a half truth...

6. Mr MiGu

Mr MiGu King of the Zombies

so if it happened to be that the joke was about a hispanic man and an african american woman, the joke would be considered racist as well?

7. superNova

superNova Member

look guys, i really don't want to get into a big thing about this. i just don't like things that are sexist or racist or whatever. i said the same kind of thing a few weeks ago in this thread http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=757468#post757468 because it's just how i feel. i think it's really sad if the only way you can entertain is by playing on stereotypes.

and to whoever asked about if it was an african american man and blah blah etc, i think you're just being argumentative, and that you know that's not what i meant. a racist joke exploits a racial stereotype; a sexist joke exploits a gender stereotype. a joke that wouldn't be even slightly funny if you removed the description of the person (be it race, sex, nationality, whatever) is probably racist or sexist or whatever.

if the joke was about a hispanic man who piled 38 cousins into this toyota and then ate chimichangas while not paying his taxes, then yeah, that'd be racist. just like a joke that talks about a woman who doesn't want sex and wants her husband to buy her stuff is sexist.

8. Soulless||Chaos

I have an extreme disliking for political correctness... :D
    People are different, why try to avoid the fact?

9. superNova

superNova Member

i don't think the things i think in order to be politically correct, they are actually my true thoughts. i remember being 6 or 7 years old and getting upset with my mom or dad in the car if they would say "that black guy cut me off" (whereas they would only say "that guy cut me off" if the person was white), because i thought it was messed up that they felt the need to point out the person was black, like that had some bearing on the situation. i don't think first graders are trying to be politically correct.

we are all different. and that's why stereotypes suck.

10. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

Men are usually the money makers and women are the nurtureres there is nothing wrong with that. Also, women are overjoyed with things like shoes, lipstick and various other things and there is nothing wrong with that.

If you would like to draw a picture of any situation you take, please do draw it, but you will see that after you have drawn it, whether the picture is positive or negative depends solely on your mind and your way of looking at things.

11. kayy

kayy Member

But i'm a woman and i don't like to be given all that stuff! But Ok, the joke is funny... But people are really very different, people sometimes forget that, i think it's good with critical remarks

12. Megara

Megara Banned

the last few pages demonstrate exactly why Political correctness is the devil.

13. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

omg are we still talking about this?

14. Levi

Levi Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Um, yeah, you're 19 years old and you know plenty about women trying to use you for your money, right? You wish.

15. Megara

Megara Banned

i think many people are missing the point here...let me try and help

joke Audio pronunciation of "joke" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (jk)
    n.

1. Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.
    2. A mischievous trick; a prank.
    3. An amusing or ludicrous incident or situation.
    4. Informal.
    1. Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality: The accident was no joke.

16. Levi

Levi Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

The men are the money makers?! It is to laugh. Are the men in my family making some money that we don't know about? If they are, could you let my cousin and me know so that we can get some much-needed and overdue child support out of them? Thanks.

17. Soulless||Chaos

What's your point? :confused:

18. Soulless||Chaos

He didn't make this joke up, merely posted it... :rolleyes:

19. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

Jedi-I am nurturing but not one of 'the nurturers.' I am not overjoyed by lipstick, in fact I think it makes me look clownish. I like a new pair of kicks evey now and then, but so do guys. I have made just as much or more money than the guys I have date.

superNova-You make alotta sense to me

20. Soulless||Chaos

Of course not everyone fits the stereo types, they are just generalizations... But if you really tried to find out, I bet more women would fit the nurturer stereotype than men, and more men the moneymakers than women... It's not meant to be offensive, Is it that hard to understand a joke? Is it really so important to be so serious, and pc? :confused: