his dark materials

Discussion in 'Books' started by apple-core, May 25, 2004.

1. apple-core

apple-core Member

Im interested in knowing if anyone here has read Phillip Pullmans 'His Dark Materials' trilogy about Lyra Belaquas many struggles into adolescence, dealing with pain and misery.
    Also has anyone read the additional book 'Lyras Oxford' a short story about an attempt to kill lyra by a witch that is using an alchemist to entice lyra to her, it includes extra material in the form of a map and postcards etc

2. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

I've read the His Dark Materials series and I have to say I loved it, Phillip Pullman is an amazing author and his series, though written for children, is surprisingly deep. I haven't read Lyra's Oxford, though I've heard of it. How does it fit in with the main plot? Is it set before or after the events of Northern Lights take place?

3. apple-core

apple-core Member

I agree with you that it is a deep book aimed at teenagers and as a teenager myself i find it to be perfect and I have reccomended it to my famil and now nearly all have them have read it and all of the love it as I do.
    It is set after the events of his dark materials take place. The extras include items from the two main worlds that are depicted throughout the series, Lyras and Wills, the items from lyras are a map of oxfordthat has details as if it were the type of map you could buy in a shop, it has details of other maps and catologues. An item from Will's world is a postcard written to one of Dr Mary Malones friends just after she has arrived in oxford.
    I cant really describe how it fits in with the main plot as it follows its own courses of events some relevent to the main series and some not.

4. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I have the trilogy but have only got round to reading Northern Lights. They are brilliant books.

TTFN

Sage

5. apple-core

apple-core Member

you should really read the subtle knife and the amber spyglass without reading them you can never really gather the complexities of the worlds and lyras task

6. xZx

xZx Member

i adore philip pullman! his dark materials honestly altered my perspective on the world when i first read it lol a very deep book and in my oh so humble opinion ;) everyone should read it! lol

7. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

read the first two, haven't got round to the last one though. Really enjoyed them.

8. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

oh, these books are just fantastic. I adore them all - especially the Amber Spyglass - I love Pullman's awesme metaphoric imagination. Good reading.

9. waterlily5

waterlily5 Member

Great books! I have read all except the amber spyglass, which I will get around to soon.

10. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

In my opinion the first two books get you thinking, lead you down a path, make you challenge accepted norms, and then the third rips up everything you think you've learnt in the first two and writes a whole new reality....

11. Polka Dots and Strip

Polka Dots and Strip Member

Lyras Oxford is after Amber Spyglass and is setting the scene for The Book of Dust, which is supposed to be out this year