Hippy Weddings Anyone?

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by AbbieRose, May 31, 2004.

1. AbbieRose

AbbieRose Member

Hi All -

I'm going to be getting married probably a year from now......I'm only 22 - so I haven't truely lived the hippy world but I've been a hippy at heart since birth (my mom has a video of me singing "they call me mellow yellow" in my sandbox when i was about 4) so anyway -

i'm getting married and i'm not into the typical fru fru poofy dress thing and i want to have a hippy wedding - barefoot mandatory and all that. Anyhow all i can find online as far as pics of dresses are kind of prude ones - high lace necks and all that. I'm wondering if anybody had a hippy wedding back in the 60's and could possibly send me pics of their dress?!?! I just need a pic my grandma and I are going to sew my dress so all we really need is a visual. ( i tried to draw a kind of dress i wanted - she did a test run skirt part of it and it looked more like little house on the prairie than hippy)

so anyway - please help!
    if anyone has any good idea's to help make the wedding more genuine - i'd love to hear it!

thanks!
    abbie

2. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I put this one up in Applespark's post. I saw it on ebay. I liked it. :) It's not exactly what I want, but it's easy to change around. The girl designed it herself. :)

3. Becknudefck

Becknudefck Senior Member

that dress is beautiful. and a hippie wedding would be so kewl.

4. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

that dress is so pretty...

no one will ever marry me :(

5. HappyHaHaGirl

Me, neither. And I hate to say it, but it's probably because it's the baby. Andrew said he just wasn't ready to be a daddy...yadda yadda yadda....

It must be nice to have that choice! I wish I could say, "Gosh, you know, I just don't feel like being a Mommy today!" and the whole world would cater to me and I could be a princess. But no.

But I'm happier with Noah than I was with him. And I can always threaten to take him back to Sears if he acts up. That's what my mom always used on me... :)

6. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

oh hannah your so funny... when I want to make my kids appreciate me I turn on the vaccum and stick it(the hose) on my head so it sucks on my hair... they think its eatting me so they scream and hug me... a garenteed well behaved kids for 1/2 hr. they'll prob have serious issues with vaccums one day though...

7. HappyHaHaGirl

Sometimes I'll lie on the floor and pretend to be dead and Noah climbs all over me trying to figure out what's wrong. It's so cute. Then, when he's on my back, I'll jump up and run around like a horsie... :) I have no friends. But it's better than dinner and a movie. And I burn calories.... :)

It's so cute how, if he thinks I'm hurt or something, he'll come over and put his hand on my leg to make sure I'm okay. I have a sweet boy!

8. AbbieRose

AbbieRose Member

ohh! thank you that's a beautiful dress~

sorry but i'm just getting the hang of this forum and i didn't know how i could reply to your reply - so i'm replying down here - hopefully you'll see it.....

thank you :D i love that dress it's gorgeous - thanks :D

any idea's for favors, centerpieces, bridesmade dress? anything?!?!? thanks!

thanks again!
    abbie

9. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

try this site the lady makes beautiful dresses. http://www.snakemountainthreads.com/

when i had my "wedding" my hubby wore ballbottoms and a white butterfly collar dress shirt and i wore a fairy shirt and a blue patchwork skirt.................

we had the preacher man read this in place of our vows........

10. HappyHaHaGirl

Your "wedding?" :confused:

11. SharyBobbins

SharyBobbins QPR Football Fan

I love that. When i get married (years from now) i'd like to use something like that instead of the regular vows. I am not christian so I don't want a christian wedding. I will probably get married on a beach or something.

12. AbbieRose

AbbieRose Member

that's a beautiful poem - i saved it in my wedding folder hehe - i'm part lakota souix indian so that gave me a great idea to look to see if i can find their wedding blessing - thanks for the idea!

abbie

13. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

we got married at the court house and the this "wedding" was supposed to be just a big party for us. some how my hubbys mom twisted it into a wedding without us knowing untill a day before it happend.........

14. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

We got married barefoot in the park. We actually had two ceremonies. The first was for a very select group of friends. It was a Wiccan Handfasting. Then in the afternoon we had a wedding with a more Native American theme to it. That seemed more acceptable to family. We both wore hemp. My dress was sort of like a long A-line with bell sleeves. The sleeves had long fringe made from the colors of the four directions. I also had a shawl that had fringe in the same colors. DH wore a cotton shirt that we bought at a ren faire with hemp pants. On the front of his shirt and the front of my dress I made a medicine wheel with the ribbons of the four directions and appropriate crystals at each direction. It's kind of hard to describe. But it was pretty cool. We had a giveaway from the Native tradition. We gave each person a dream catcher that we made ourselves. There was a ribbon attached with our names and the date on it. We used the Apache Prayer also. Then on our honeymoon we went to the Hopi, Navaho, and Zuni reservations. Arizonia and Southern Utah are beautiful places to visit.

Kathi

15. dylanzeppelin

dylanzeppelin daydream believer

I think the whole barefoot idea is so beautiful.. I could definetly have a hippy wedding if I ever plan on getting marry, lol.. Still not sure if I could see myself with just one person for the rest of my life, but life may throw me someone decent.. Good luck with your wedding.. that picture of the dress shown here is quite beautiful.. =)

16. HappyHaHaGirl

She forced you to get married? You were tricked??!!! It's like a romance novel. :)

17. marymicrogram

marymicrogram Member

One of my hippydippy friends had his wedding at the courthouse and his reception at Dunkin' Donuts. Teehee...

I'm sorry I don't have anything constructive to say- congratulations, my friend. Have a donut.

18. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

"oh hannah your so funny... when I want to make my kids appreciate me I turn on the vaccum and stick it(the hose) on my head so it sucks on my hair... they think its eatting me so they scream and hug me... a garenteed well behaved kids for 1/2 hr. they'll prob have serious issues with vaccums one day though...
    __________________"

Hahaha! Oh my gosh that is the funniest and meanest thing I've ever heard!:D:D

19. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

damnit i wish i could find a boy who'd have a hippie wedding with me!!! :(

20. Weepingoak

Weepingoak Member

you know, I a hippy man feel the same way.

there will be one in my life someday. but I don't think I will find one here in my town. I am also not afraid of a sister with a family, but my first goal is to finish college then find a partner and take on the world!