hippies?

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by seahorse, May 8, 2004.

1. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

maybe it was a misspelling?

2. Templedragon

Templedragon Peace through Spirit

Hippie is a word that stemmed from hep cat from decades earlier. Many people attribute the term hippie to San Farnsciso colimnist Herb Caen, who used to term to describe a new movement of music enthisuasts in the Haight Ashbury, the Diggers and the Family Dog and whatnot.

Yippie means "Youth International Party "member, and is a term that describes a losse knit 'revolutionary" group started by Abbie Hoffman, Paul Krassner and Jerry Rubin (and Dana Beal). Paul Krassner is a good friend of mine. The Yippies were somewhat associated with the White Panther movement of the very late sixties and early 70's.

The Yippies used street theatre and guerilla publishing, and were infinitely more miltant than the hippies. By 1968 the term hippie was getting worn out, and in san fransico they had a mock funeral for the "death of the hippie". Hippies followed flower children, and freaks followed hippies. Now hippie is a very loose term to decsribe anyone who is a part of the post 1960's counterculture.

I am uber-proud of being a hippie since I was 10 years old.

Peace! Viv-

3. HippieFlowerGirl67

HippieFlowerGirl67 Banned

I like being considered a flower child....

4. DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman Member

The old jazz term "hep," which went out with the beatniks, our predecessors, transformed into hip, so "hepcat" became "hipster," which was "reslangified" to "hippie," in the same way that "hickster" was shortened to "hickey." (JK)

Most of the people I knew called themselves head or freaks at first, but eventually they started satirizing the clueless media by using their terminology in a more-or-less tongue-in-cheek and pseudo-derogatory way, such as "So, what do you MF'ing hippie preverts wanna do today?" or "Hey, wanna smoke some ... 'pot'?"

5. DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman Member

Abbie Hoffman and Jerry Rubin formed the Youth International Party (Yippies) in 1967. Ronald Reagan introduced the age of greed in the early 80's, which gave birth to voodoo economics and "young urban professionals" (yuppies). Just remember, Yippie rhymes with hippie, and yuppy rhymes with guppy.

6. DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman Member

Abbie Hoffman and Jerry Rubin formed the Youth International Party (Yippies) in 1967. Ronald Reagan introduced the age of greed in the early 80's, which gave birth to voodoo economics and "young urban professionals" (yuppies). Just remember, Yippie rhymes with hippie, and yuppy rhymes with guppy.

Somehow this got posted at the bottom, instead of in this thread. What am I on? Senility!

7. DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman Member

No it didn't -- I'm so confused!

8. gate68

gate68 Senior Member

remember when he tried to extort money out of woodstock.Hippie came from when hiphuggers were first in fashion.All the kids were wearing them.It was the look.The hip look.It's as simple and unromantic as that.

9. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

I must say, I was a dumbass stoned/drunk when I first posted all my shit at the begining of this thread. Now that I have seen that it has been drug out all these months I retract all my previous statements since I am now coherent (now just drunk).

But may I say, whats the deal with dreads? I don't quite understand why it became a contemporary-"hippy"/"freak" thing. It's the jamacian infuence correct?

and now my drunken comment...
    FUCK BOB MARLY... LISTEN TO BURNING SPEAR!!!

10. howellmilldoc

howellmilldoc Member

Thanks Peaceman you konw your stuff. A yippie was a follower of Abbie Hoffman and was a kind of terrorist that didn't want to hurt anybody. I don't have a problem with killing a bulldozer. Don't spike trees, that can kill somebody, an example.
    Doc

11. Eagle Rose

Eagle Rose Member

Start the movement, stop waiting for that one person to move in, I wish I could drive or at least leave my house! My parents won't let me go anywhere on foot :confused: ... I want to get out change things in my city but I can't go out there! Lmao XD Oh it's sad I know but maybe when I can leave my house I can help out, for now I just have to preach peace through my life, right? :) <3

12. Micha

Micha Now available in Verdana!

I just read about that in a book i'm reading a few nights ago...
    It's called The Age of Protest

It was really interesting..

13. Micha

Micha Now available in Verdana!

jesus christ..
    okay..i've been seeing your posts around..

I'm not trying to be mean or anything but you seem soo caught up in the hippie stereotype.
    Every one of your posts that i've seen has something to do with it!
    I mean, this one was 'i like to be considered a flower child'
    and "I still call myself a hippie, but I change some days. One day I'll be against war and fighting and all that, and the next I'll be believing in war, chaos, distruction and disorder.... "
    one said 'i love it when people call me a hippie'
    and you even said something like 'my friends and i like to flash the peace sign at each other and other people' when that had nothing to do with that..

Just be yourself, man.

14. DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman Member

The term "flower child," as far as I know, was more of a media stereotype and invention than anything else. A few "commercially psychedelic" groups, like The Peanut Putter Conspiracy might have bought into that scene (or propaganda), but I don't know of any "real hippies" who did. If anything, being a "flower child" was like some kind of teeny-bopper "bubble-gum music" thing, nothing heavy.

There was a little bit of satire of it, maybe, in the acid commercial that came between tracks on the second Country Joe & the Fish album "I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-to-Die":
    Well, if you're tired or a bit run-down,
    Can't seem to get your feet off the ground,
    Maybe you oughta try a little bit of LSD
    (Only if you want to).
    Shake you head and rattle your brain,
    Make you act just a bit insane,
    Give you all the psychic energy you need—
    Eat flowers and kiss babies—L S D
    For you and me​
    eee.

15. OneLoveHerbsman

OneLoveHerbsman Member

This is so true, people around my age (19 ) just dont care about the things that happen to their fellow man. I was talking to a freind of mine just last week about a war that had gone on in africa and how they where holding , and this is the refugee camp mind you the place that is supposed to help them is holding them there without food and water , people are dying off, starving in a place the r to feel safe and protected. I brought this up to him becuz there was a charity collecting funds to add them . When i ask him if he would like to help with me he said " That ant me. Im feed. they better find them some berrys out in the shrubs if they hungry "

Its bogus, kids these days need to ante up!

16. SafetyPin

SafetyPin Banned

Abbie Hoffman wrote several books, two of which I can remember were called "Steal this Book" and "Revolution for the Hell of It" This is just my perspective but the yippies were more likely to use the establisment's own tactics to change the establishment. Hippies were more into doing their own thing.

Since the establishment has always based its politics on using force or the threat of force, the yippies were more willing to use that tactic to change the establishment than the hippies were.

The establishment accused the hippies of being apathetic but a conclusion I've come to recently is that the hippies had a passionate interest in just about everything. And you may disagree with me but hippies were the most politically oriented people ever, but their politics were real politics and could not be seperated from their personal lives. Voting had nothing to do with anyones personal life so hippies were not interested in it. However when Americans and communists were fighting and killing each other in Vietnam hippies were thinking, when human beings are fighting each other and killing each other anywhere in the world, it affects me personally and therefore I must do whatever I can to spread peace and of course love.

17. SafetyPin

SafetyPin Banned

Oh, Abbie Hoffman died some time ago. He lived in New Hope, Pa when he died and his death was from either prescription pain killers or prescription sleeping pills, I think pain killers; it wasn't suicide.

18. sohip19

sohip19 Member

i thought hippie was an acronym for highly intelligent person persuing individual enlightenment..thats what it says somewhere here on this site.