hippies?

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by seahorse, May 8, 2004.

1. seahorse

seahorse Senior Member

did hippies in the 60's call themselves hippies? where did the term even come from? :confused:

2. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

I believe ithe term "hippy" was started by the media discribing the type of people who protested the Vietnam war. I don't think many would have started calling themselves hippys then, but I'm sure later people would call themselves hippys.

3. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

wasn't yuppies Youth something? with uhm.. whats his name? ABBY! abby hoffman?

4. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

no, that's yippies. yuppies are the scourge of the '80's: young, urban (or upwardly-mobile) professionals.

5. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

are yippies just yong hippies, or are they like yuppie hippies?

6. fylthevoyd

fylthevoyd Super Moderator

Please don't disgrace Abbie's name by referring to him as a yuppie or suggesting he had anything to do with the yuppie movement.Besides in the times of the yuppie movement Abbie was still wanted by the American government and he was living in hiding.

This isn't a slam to you We_All_Shine_On,just informing you about one of people who was at the front of the hippie movement in the 60's.

7. Flowerian

Flowerian Senior Member

I think "Yuppie" is just the contrary of "Hippie" ;) The Yuppies where those young men of the eighties who only lived for working, mostly at stock markets and did not take care of anything happening around them, just being focused on making money. I think I don't have to define what's different about this with hippies, do i? ;)

8. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

I wonder what it was like, to live in the sixties. I've heard people were much more open-minded and friendly. Those are the main two things I'd like to change about today's society... people just seem too focused on themselves, and too closed-minded. They can't even take a joke, let alone stand anyone who's different than they are.

*sigh* Sometimes I wonder if I lived in the 60s in my past life... ;)

9. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

but what about all those yuppie people who have the dough to buy groceries at Whole Foods and similar stores and claim to care about the environment and support fair trade and vote for the green party ect. They share many hippie ideals, but they just have more money, generally speaking. I think there needs to be a word for these type of yuppies that implies that they are slightly more hip.

10. -peaceman69-

-peaceman69- Member

Yippie is the name for Youth International Party (YIP) founded in 1967 by Abbie Hoffman and some other people. His name is Abbie not Abby. Remember Chicago ’68 yah that was the Yippies (the protesters not the pigs).

11. mother_nature's_son

mother_nature's_son Member

Hippies in the 60's liked to call themselves Freaks.

12. sassure

sassure Member

We used both "hippie" and "freak" pretty freely back then. "Yippie" was coined as a put-down term, so we blew that one off.

And Yuppies, Young Upwardly-mobile Professionals, were the spawn of the 80s-90s when Materialism took over and Money replaced God.....

13. Manolao

Manolao Member

wasn't also "the Beautiful People" a name pretty in vogue for an auto-definition?

by the way.. in Italian was "Figli dei Fiori" (flower's sons)

14. Flowerchild

Flowerchild Member

[size=+1]"Hanging around the beatniks became the cool thing to do, and City Lights was increasingly frequented by the kids from the area around the University of San Francisco. As usual, the "older" group ridiculed any younger people who wanted to be like them - almost as much as they ridiculed anyone who DIDN'T want to be like them. Soon some of the older and less perceptive Beats, who were themselves often hangers on of the original New York group, began derisively labeling these kids - who so obviously wanted to be "hip" - as "hippies." The name stuck."[/size]
    "
    [size=+1]"Freak" was actually a generic all-encompassing - and fairly early - term. Originally it was a simple pejorative used by the more belligerent of the mainstream society against the hippies. So in that sense, being a freak - like being a hippie - was more something you were called, not something that you were. But like many terms of abuse, it was proudly adopted by the members of the group itself.
    [size=+1]Soon "freak" became the term preferred by the hippies."[/size]

http://members.aol.com/Fredwaite/hippies.html

I don't know if that is all correct and if it is not, I appologize! Hopefully this helos you, I think it's pretty logically!!
    Love and Peace,
    Flowerchild
    [/size]

15. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

I definitely know i did! :D There is no way my soul was made to live in today's world. Every waking day i dream about having lived in the 60s. I would do anything to be able to go back...everything was so much more appreciated, i think, and i look at people today, especially young adults my age, and they know nothing of what it is to appreciate...they're all too busy getting drunk and banging as many people as they can.

16. angelgodiva

angelgodiva Senior Member

Time is relative, darlings, and your life will be whatever you make of it. I was 14 during the Summer of Love and have been part of the movement since the beginning. Flowerchild's information was accurate, as was that of several others. Instead of wishing you could go back to live in the 60s, though, you may want to try bringing the spirit of the 60s back by the way you live and the ideals you hold dear. Most importantly, be true to your beliefs and do not let anyone else shake your faith in what can be.
    The 60s are a part of history, and as such they will always be with us as long as we keep the memories and the spirit of the era alive through our lives.
    The music doesn't hurt either!
    See you all around the forums.

17. Flowerian

Flowerian Senior Member

Yes, I thinks it's nearly similar with me... the young generation in the sixties fought for something, they wanted to improve the world... and today? The only problem people in my age have is how to get the new CD from some gangsta-hiphopper without paying for it. Oh man, I'd give everything if I was able to experience the Woodstock festival and the whole era :(

18. MarkN

MarkN Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

This generation has just as much to fight about today if not more. I listened to the CD "HAIR" (the broadway musical) the other night, and was amazed at the similarity in issues of 1969 and todays world. (unjust WAR (iraq), racical prejudice, unjust drug laws, plenty of gov coruption. etc. We have become a nation (USA) of the haves, and the havenots. ( there is something inhuman about that). I think we have come full circle, and we still have the same problems . But in many ways the world is better. technoligy, medicne, etc. I don't think my generation changed the world, but we definily put a couple of dents in it. ORGANIZE, UNITE! Write about it , talk about it. Ever heard the expression " the pen is mighter than the sword?". Its so true. Its your world guys. You might not change the world, but you can bend it some.

19. Flowerian

Flowerian Senior Member

Yes, you're absolutely right, we have problems, we have to fight against them - but WHO wants to fight? Of course absolutely everybody who is in this forum, but go out to your town and look at the teens hanging around. They just don't care if there is an unjust war or human rights are not respected, they have a kind of a "Not-my-problem"-thinking... THIS is the problem of my generation! We are not 500.000 people who would travel to a festival about peace and music... if it was a hiphop jam with cool gangstas "singing" about how many women they fuck and how many other gangstas they kill everyday, yes, this would attract 500000 people, but I see no chance to start a new kind of a hippie movement. Political issues are not very important in ages of hiphop...

20. Flowerchild

Flowerchild Member

I totally agree w/all of you! But I still was impressed last year in june when the student government in our city organized a demonstration against the war in Iraq: we thought 800 were gonna come, in the end there were 3500!! I was happy because it showed that people weren't totally careless about what happened in the world though most of the American public never heard about the many demonstrations against the war (yes bush, you showed censorship really works!).
    I'm not as pessimistic about the new hippie movement though! I think/probably rather hope it will come in the next 5 yo 10 years. I'm surprised everyday by how many ppl think the way i think, especially at home in Germany. But I'm probably not around the "normal" people. Unfortunately Flowerian is probably mostly right w/his description of the German youth! :(