Hippies In MI?

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by 19FlowerGirl87, Aug 17, 2007.

1. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

Blissfest up in Cross Village in early July is a great Hippie Festival.

2. BlueLightRain

BlueLightRain Member

There's also Hoxeyville, Rootenanny, Dunegrass, and a couple of others I can't remember

3. mathusela

mathusela Member

I used to think the only hippies that ever were, came of age in the 60's.... before LSD was criminalized. I didn't think I could consider myself a hippie. Now, all these young people that could be my grandchildren are calling themselves hippies... That's cool. Who in their right mind would want to identify with the establishment?
    BTW, I live in S/E MI.

4. BlueLightRain

BlueLightRain Member

That's kind of where I'm at with it. The media coined the term and it got embraced as a goof and now it's nothing more than a way to identify with like minded people. hopefully there aren't a bunch of people running around calling themselves hippies.. that always kinda bothered me because the word they are looking for is "stoner" usually. Smoking pot doesn't make you a hippie. If that's true, then Carl Sagan, Stephen King, Barack Obama, Ted Turner, and Richard Branson would be hippies. also, still down to meet new people. I live in Traverse City.

5. YueRion

YueRion Guest

I live Downriver and have a few friends in the Detroit Fire Guild, I mean...I wouldn't say there's a huge "Hippie" presence but there is definently a New Age presence here, it's small but it's here. It's not all that conservative here, I mean I'm VERY Liberal and most of the people I run into agree with me on a lot of things. Especially It just depends on where you go I guess? All the communities are kind of self contained, it's a different social climate all over the state. But people my age are pretty liberal like I never got bullied or anything in High school but, it really just depends on where you live and who you interact with daily :eek: anyways if you ever wanna hang hit me up : )

6. barefoothippie

barefoothippie Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm in Detroit - Novi area. Any cool people hit me up. I'm new here and a little lonely.

7. lxd

lxd Member

I'm originally from the lovely mitten state. :) Grand Rapids born and raised. There's a lot of crust punks around, a lot of white conservatives on the West coast. But defiantly a handful of good heads.

Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart, you just gotta poke around!

8. yooperlee

yooperlee Member

we got lots of good hearted hippies in the up including woodies my new love

9. mamaaubz

mamaaubz Guest

Northern Michigan right here!
    :)

10. mamaaubz

mamaaubz Guest

By the way!!
    Everyone should make it out to Farmfest in Johannesburg MI, Best festival around! Blissfest too, great festivals to connect with others! Unite!

11. gdf13pointfupayme

gdf13pointfupayme Member

moved here from humboldt. would love to get some good family together see someshows or something. this place is driving me nuts!! pm me lets see some music

12. Sportster2012

Sportster2012 Guest

Iam a hippie from the Detroit area now living the Dream in the U.P.
    How Hip are WE ??

Paul

13. TheGreatThinker

TheGreatThinker Guest

man nobodies in metro detroit area, most up north or far away.

im from romulus 20 year old, sometimes goes out to taylor and around some... workin at the airport man.. looking for like minded people my age, i dont like my generation, i also dont like this usual crappy michigan winter weather. been livin here all my life

14. nick16

nick16 Member

If your up that way make your way to electric forest. Theres tons of hippies there.