Hippie-oriented colleges...

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by SunnyHappyVegan, Oct 25, 2011.

1. SunnyHappyVegan

SunnyHappyVegan Member

I'm sure there are threads like this already, but too bad.

Here's a list of colleges that I've been looking at and will probably apply to (I just need to dwindle the list a bit...)

Temple University ~ Philadelphia
    Northeastern University ~ Boston
    Suffolk ~ Boston (safety school, perhaps)
    Trinity ~ Hartford, CT
    Brandeis University ~ MA, near Boston (I think it's a Jewish school, so not so sure...)
    College of the Atlantic ~ Bar Harbor (maybe too far)
    Marlboro ~ VT
    Bard ~ NY
    Bennington ~ VT
    Hampshire ~ MA

I'm in North Jersey here, and can't go anywhere too far. I'm planning on doing a doubl major in conservation and writing and a minor in art...

Feel free to discuss your choices here too! :)

2. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

I live in Newark, DE and go to University of Delaware. I wouldn't suggest coming here if you are looking for a hippy college. Although I am a graduate student, so besides teaching them Calculus, I don't interact with the Undergrads, it seems to be the polar opposite of a hippy college.

The students tend to be materialistic, superficial, and pretentious.

3. Charise

Charise Naked to the Cosmos

I thought UC Berkley was basically a hippy school-at least it used to be

4. skip

skip Founder Administrator

UC Santa Cruz is the hippiest of those on the West Coast, or at least it used to be...

Berkeley is still cool, and probably always will be...even tho there are still lots of conservatives there.

5. SunnyHappyVegan

SunnyHappyVegan Member

Soo many colleges in California seem awesome, but I'm stuck on the east coast...
    I am falling in love with Marlboro though, but I still have to visit it :p

6. spiritof92

spiritof92 Member

Have you tried looking at colleges here in Oregon? we have some colleges that are quite hippish and they are great, the college i am attending now (oregon state univ.) is a great hippie school and so is UofO

7. PurpByThePound

PurpByThePound purpetrator

Naropa in Boulder, CO is notoriously hippie

8. SunnyHappyVegan

SunnyHappyVegan Member

But I can't leave the east coast.... I live in North Jersey; I want to get out of this state (that I don't love it, because I do- except for Christie), but I have to stay within a 5 hour car ride.

But it's good to discuss all colleges for anyone else interested... yes...

So, right now I am infatuated with Marlboro :daisy:

9. njlax

njlax Member

I don't know if you've checked out Temple but that is right in Philly. Super sketchy there.

10. Sininabin

Sininabin Member

young hippies and sketchy go hand in hand

went to uc berk to visit a friend and visited the free speech cafe. A great gallery of protesters behind a plethora of pre-med, pre-law, and ecks majors on apple computers, clean and all.

don't discount uc berk it's a big school so you can find hippyness if you seek it out.

I mean I was visiting uc davis and I found a small niche of shallow hippyness

I have friends at REED COLLEGE and after you deal with the 50% hipsters 10% richy, 5% frat equalviate. you have a decent size outdoory hippy group. I livied in the area and partied with them. At least a few years ago it was an awesome play hard work hard school. That has a really open drug culture and huge amount of intellegent kids, and awesome proffesors.

I'd say if you always been an ecentric left leaning smarty you should at least check out reed. (if you're poor they have sizable financial age for said smarties)

11. chillll

chillll Guest

does anyone know of any hippie oriented colleges in ohio?

12. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Sorry, no offence, but this made me chuckle.......

Maybe somewhere in southern Ohio but up here it's like open season on us hippies all year long.....

13. SunnyHappyVegan

SunnyHappyVegan Member

Oberlin is in Ohio, and that's pretty hippy-dippy, I've heard.

It seems like most of the good hippie schools are on the west coast though.

I did look into Temple, but a lot of people told me the area is bad. I think it'd be cool to be in Philly, plus I'd be close to my favorite aunt and uncle.

I just have this idea, though, that no matter where I go and what I do, I'm going to be unhappy.

14. Bitty Star Child

Bitty Star Child Member

what are some really good hippie schools if you don't care how far away it is? I've been looking at uc berkley but looking at other options as well

15. iamtigerpaw

iamtigerpaw Member

Humboldt ^_^

16. BlueStreak98

BlueStreak98 Member

Oberlin is VERY liberal. It was actually too liberal for me, which prior to my visit there I didn't think was possible. Ohio University (which I attend) is also known for its liberal leanings.

17. wallace2112

wallace2112 Member

Any hippie schools in michigan?

18. Isadoran

Isadoran Member

The college of St Scholastica in Duluth MN has quite a few old hippy professors but not many hippy students. When I first went there I was surprised to see the voice trainer was a biker hippy with long hair with an amazing voice. First time I heard him singing opera I was very :) surprised.

19. monkeywisdom

monkeywisdom Member

Don't forget Prescott College in Prescott, AZ and New College in Sarasota, FL. Prescott College is self directed. You can create your own degree, but make sure your program is accredited. Environmentalism and sustainability is a major focus. There's a great neighborhood near the college with all kinds of crazy permaculture projects and minifarms. There's also peace and justice studies, human development and anything you can think of. The adult program allows you to study anywhere and visit mentors frequently for credit. Prescott may be the reactionary conservative armpit of Arizona, but there's SOOOO much cool stuff going on as far as arts and culture is concerned. It's just a strange political divide. I don't know much about New College. Evergreen in Olympia is another self directed one that's technically a state school (cheaper).

20. AcrossJupiterSands

AcrossJupiterSands Guest

Champlain College in Burlington, VT is a pretty laid back place, as is UVM (The University of Vermont.) I plan on going there for my bachelors in Sustainable Horticulture after I finish the Associates program I'm in now. Also, if you looking for a course of study involving anything environmental, check out Unity College, in Unity, ME. Maine is pretty good for hippies... plus we have lobsters, moose and pinetrees.

1 person likes this.