Hippie footwear in the 60s and flip flops

Discussion in 'Clothes' started by Matt1979, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Matt1979

Matt1979 Senior Member

I know many hippies wore Birkenstocks in the 60s and this was how they became popular, although I have seen a lot of photos of hippies in shoes including some shots of Haight-Ashbury. Although hippies often wore sandals, there's another Haight-Ashbury photo of a young hippie man wearing flip flops, they look like the old-style rubber flip flops that were worn on the beach.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/wp-c...ht-Street-Hippies-San-Francisco-in-1967-1.jpg

I don't think I've seen any other photos of 60s hippies wearing flip flops, were they popular with hippies? I know back then and even in the 80s and early 90s, the only rubber flip flops were the cheap beach shoe type in blue, red, green, yellow etc. before flip flops became fashionable

2. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I always had problems with flip-flops. They weren't robust enough for me and went more for sandals or - wherever possible - barefoot

Matt1979 likes this.
  3. Matt1979

Matt1979 Senior Member

I see what you mean about flip flops not being robust enough. I remember wearing a regular pair (the one in my avatar picture) walking round a city when I was on holiday and I found the same with them not being robust. I usually wear a hard-bottomed pair in the summer months now

WOLF ANGEL likes this.
  4. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

"When I was a lad" - I'd end up with DIY repairs on several occasions (= chewing gum and paper was my 'go to')
    I guess they're made stronger now(?)
    Though sandals did allow a degree of barefoot-ness and freedom n' freshness, arthritis (and work requirements) restricts my use of these days.

Matt1979 likes this.
  5. Matt1979

Matt1979 Senior Member

Some flip flops are made stronger now and often have tougher soles like the pair I wear. There are still many that are more lighter and not robust, like the pair I had that I mentioned in my last post

WOLF ANGEL likes this.
  6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I wore moccasins back in the day...

Running Horse and Matt1979 like this.
  7. Matt1979

Matt1979 Senior Member

I think moccasins were popular as well

8. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hippies wore sneakers a lot. Sneaker brands back in the 60s included Keds, PF Flyers, Poll Parrot and Jeepers. Sneakers were great for running from the cops!

Matt1979 likes this.
  9. Matt1979

Matt1979 Senior Member

I haven't seen as many photos of hippies wearing Sneakers. I'm not sure if the image of many hippies being barefoot came from all the images of Woodstock, I know a lot of hippies did go barefoot of course, but I think the stereotypical image of barefoot hippies might have originated from the pictures and films of the festival.

10. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Of course it wasn't smart to go barefoot on the sidewalk, good way to get your feet cut up.

drumminmama likes this.
  11. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I wore Birkenstock sandals in HS. And I have a gnarly second toe on my right foot - omg, I cringe! :rolleyes: People saw my ugly second toe... It's deformed! Well... not actually. It's propped up on its neighbor toe though. Stupid crooked toe... :oops:

Matt1979 likes this.
  12. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Who could afford Birkenstocks? That, in my opinion was the start of the yuppie trend.
    Everyone wore flip flops starting in the very early 60s.
    During the Daze we wore whatever was appropriate and cheap depending on the activity and weather.
    That would be bare feet, flip flops, various types of sandals, moccasins (some knee high), work boots, motorcycle boots, and for awhile surplus Vietnam jungle boots were very popular as they were cheap and durable..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matt1979 likes this.
  13. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Here we have a picture of the Freak Brothers with motorcycle boots, work boots, and sandals.

[​IMG]

newo, Matt1979 and Tyrsonswood like this.
  14. Matt1979

Matt1979 Senior Member