HIPPIE FOOD

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Duncan, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Have just finished my 'Sunday roast' - roast beef, roast tatties, roast carrots, roast parsnips and Yorkshire puddings with roast onion, and an onion gravy

2. That was me, and it was Scotch.

Then I discovered something horrible; Whiskey Dick, is REAL!!!!

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Is that... Some sorta inability to maintain an erection?

WritersPanic likes this.
  4. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There's a medical term for it - its called "brewers droop" !!!

5. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

My parents always used Engevita which throughout my childhood I mocked as "hippie fish food" because that's what it looks like and it smells funny.. but now I use it too.

6. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

^ the hippie bit is because its a vegan source of B vitamins.

7. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The author has a great sense of humor. It ISN'T A COOK BOOK ! It traces the history of the counterculture movement and the reaction by youth at the time towards the food industry. He writes about pesticides, additives, food colorings, chemical creations to lengthen shelf life... The read also indicates that while the majority of the initial pioneers of the movement were Caucasian and that many of the food choices were centered around Caucasian food choices. What surprised me, though, was the fact that the author grew up in Elkart, Indiana and that the healthy food consumption movement (i.e., eat less, but make sure that what you eat is of the most superior quality) was alive and well in many smaller cities and towns.

drumminmama likes this.
  8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

This book was big back in '71:
    [​IMG]
    It was the first major book to promote vegetarianism and point out the global impact on the environment of raising meat for consumption.

ZenKarma and drumminmama like this.
  9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

cool. I’ll put it on my to read list.

10. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

The updated version is good, too. Even corrects for new information, such as food combining at a single meal being unnecessary.

11. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

HIPPIE FOOD is geographic and does make some conclusion as to how the information/lifestyle found its way into middle America (i.e., small towns). With the exception of influences from a few Japanese leaders, most of the key players in this movement seemed to be Caucasian. There is no explanation... it just was. My main takeaway was the evolution of the importance behind organic farming and the belief that food should not be stripped of its nutrition and then have the nutrients added to it (i.e., enriched white flour). Many vegetarian-friendly food items were added to the cuisine. The evolution of the health food store and food coops was also a big item.

12. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

I have this book. I use these principles to balance my diet daily. I've been mostly vegetarian since the early '70s. I only relax the rules for freshly caught fish in a clean environment and locally sustainable, organic free range chickens from a grower I trust, and down here in La Paz we get farm raised shrimps that are truly awesome sweet and deliciously clean from an aquaculture place on the bayside.

We eat a lot of tofu, and TVP. Texturized vegetable protein. You have to work with that stuff to make it palatable but it's a good protein source. I am off cheeses and dairy products at the moment. Looking for organic products is challenging in Mexico.

But anyway, Frances Moore Lappe was/is a hero for our generation and the planet. Her recipes are a bit dated, but the concept of combining plant foods to get a diet with complete proteins necessary for human life is basic, real, and true.

Hippies and food go back a long way... to the naturist movements from central Europe of the late 1800s and onward. They all moved to America to get away from the World Wars, and the movement blossomed here.

Anyone remember Nature Boy?

MeAgain likes this.
  13. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think of hummus when I see this thread. Or like cashew/almond dip. :yum:

ZenKarma likes this.
  14. deleted

deleted Visitor

Ric Flair .
    whoa..
    Ric-Flair.jpg

15. ~Zen~

Love your style Vladimir, but this is about as far as you can get from a truly Hippy meal! All that roasting, very British. My Mom cooked like that. Everything was brown! My grandmother was worse... she would make things like bone soup and boiled tongue. I hated eating at her place. Especially when the sauerkraut was being made and served. Ick.

16. ~Zen~

Not that Nature Boy, this one:
    [​IMG]

Orison likes this.
  17. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

oh.. that Sherpa fleece is in style this fall! :) lol

Orison and ZenKarma like this.
  18. deleted

deleted Visitor

When my gf and I cook alone, often our meals are vegetables. She dont eat meat. But uses to much pasta..
    Stir fries and roasted veggies, and fruits I like ..
    my chicken soup today, she can eat around it..
    Im trying to make a stew, but I cant find the directions for the E/pressure cooker. I guess I could download them tho.

ZenKarma likes this.
  19. ~Zen~

Good luck with that pressure cooker @Orison - I remember Grammy blowing hers up with stew all over the ceiling. Fun times!

Orison likes this.
  20. deleted

deleted Visitor

I mean seriously the thing is a time bomb of hot food.. If you dont careful defuse it, it will explode. Who's idea was this for the home kitchen?..

upload_2019-12-4_11-9-11.png