Hippie Commune

Discussion in 'Ask The Old Hippies' started by Devin the neo-hippie, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Devin the neo-hippie

Devin the neo-hippie Members

To start, what is a commune? How do hippie communes form? Is there one near me? I currently live in chicago

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. a commune is where the community communicates

Sunflower Sky likes this.
  3. Nicole Busby

Nicole Busby Members

I'm looking for a hippy style commune in California. Somewhere with spiritual people who want to enjoy life and care for each other. Looking for somewhere I can start over with just a backpack on me! Any ideas or suggestions? I'm single female, 40 years old.

4. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Check out IC.ORG which is a website for Intentional Communities. It has a lot of good info; however, I found that many of the places require you to have lots of money and many require that you buy in. In two or three states, I noticed the people were the "End Of Times" sort and "Survivalist" sort and were interested in guns. I will also add that I'm not a religious Christian sort, and some of the places were Evangelical and unwilling to listen to or accept someone from a different ethnicity. My interest here is to get people who are older, financially poor, but character rich, who want to get it done like back in the original true Hippy days. Feel free to visit the other Hippy Commune thread here on HF.

5. Devin the neo-hippie

So then how can i be sure I’m not about to join a cult?

6. Devin the neo-hippie

Opinions and reviews on this one
    Home - Sustain DuPage
    Or a link to some website that might have reviews
    Please

7. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Excellent question, and one for which there is no easy answer,except use good judgment; pay attention to your instincts; keep your eyes open; when in doubt, get out; better safe than sorry. It wouldn't hurt to read a few books on mind control techniques used by cults like the Krishnas, Jonestown, Synanon, the Church of Scientology, the Brethren, Eckankar, etc. In Oklahoma, we have Elohim City, a Christian Identity compound visited by Timothy McVeigh. Watch your back!

8. tuatara

tuatara Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

in alternative lifestyles in the forum there is a section on communes