hip winter coats

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Acorn, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Acorn

Acorn Member

does anyone have a really cool winter coat?
    mines a ulgy one thats orange and gray and makes a lot of noise. i hate coats that make noise when you move.

2. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

i used to have a nice courdoroy patchwork one i made, and i lined it so it was super toasty. now i dont have a coat, so i just dress in a ton of layers. and moving down to savannah helped a bit.

3. Acorn

Acorn Member

that would solve my noisy coat problem. :p

4. jamaica

jamaica Member

5. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

i hate coats that make noise too, and those super huge and fluffy ones
    I got a seeeeeeeeexy vintage coat off ebay for only $40US and its AWESOME!!!

It's dark blue with fur trim down the zipper, around the bottom and around the hood, and its got cool embroidery all around the fur and it goes down to like, my kneesIt's so hot. i love it.

ooo yeah, the pic is still on ebay. although it does it no justice. damnit. wooooop...

6. HookMeUp

HookMeUp Member

that sounds so hot! you should take a pic of it!

all I have is my snowboarding coat to keep nice n' toasty :)

i wanted a knee length pea coat, but i haven't been able to find any for under $90....i'm a bargain hunter :)

7. mtnhighgirl

mtnhighgirl Member

I have a Paddington Bear style coat. It's knee length, with a hood, made of wool with funky antler buttons. It's super warm. I found it at the Salvation Army for $10. I have another awesome coat, a lighter one for warmer days. It's a black pullover, with embroidery and ribbon details. I bought it at Value Village for $15.

8. jamaica

jamaica Member

that coat is really cute 'lucy' :)

9. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

I don't own a coat. I have a couple of ponchos that are pretty warm. The other thing I use is a wrap that I made. You get a couple of yards of fleece fabric. How much depends on how tall you are and how long you want the wrap to be. Then you fold it in half the short way. Cut up the middle until you reach almost to the fold. Then just hem all the way around. I have one that is double thick that I wear when it's really really cold. It is longer, thicker, and has a pocket on the inside for keys and stuff.

I'm gonna try to draw it but I'm not sure how it will turn out.

| |
    | |
    |______________________________|

The solid piece goes in back. The split pieces go over your shoulders and hang down in front. You can put a clasp on the front to hold it closed. When I made one for my son I put clips on the sides to hold them together.

It's a great coat, doesn't cost much, and you can choose the fabrics and colors.

Kathi

Okay so the picture didn't come out exactly right. The right hand side is supposed to be closed just like the left hand side. But the spcing won't come out right.

10. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

hmmm... i have a columbia coat thing.. its not very hip... but i only wear it when i ski or snowboard or w/e... i usually wear either this ugly black coat, or LOTS OF LAYERS.

11. Fooja

Fooja Member

I just own simple long coats, one that goes to my knees and a trench coat.

12. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

yeah then you get a nice "zip zop zip zop" sound instead of a "swish swish swish swish" sound. its all about the music. maybe ill make another on and go out a walk with ya, zip zop with some swish swish, we'd make some cool hip hop music together.

13. snelio37

snelio37 Member

i have a knee length extra poofy white one from the gap. no hiness for me. but i have a lovely scarf and hat made from recycled silk

14. Lady Eala

Lady Eala Member

i just got mine bk-thought it was gone--its a heavy tan leather coat with sheepfur lining even in the sleeves, its thick and weighs down, arms kinda too, but i love it, and living in the NW US im grateful for it. i have a picture of myself somewhere of me in it, peace sign with one hand, "rolly cig" in the other, jest grinnnnnin.anyway, thats mine. --Eala

15. purplemoonbeams

purplemoonbeams Member

I've got a peacoat covered in my buttons (peace sign, David Bowie, Grateful Dead, AC/DC, "Imagination is more important than knowledge", British flag, pro-recycling, James Dean, Jimi Hendrix)

16. lyla

lyla Member

i've got a suede looking one with fake-fur trim.. sorta like the Penny Lane one in Almost Famous... except mine was second hand and animal friendly!
    :)
    I love it... cozy and pretty!

17. redie*

redie* Member

mine is a green-hoddie-diesel one which is my fave of all. i fell in love with it :p -- its not a coat but a very hippie jacket. and really warm. i dont like the one with loads of layers. but i want a long coat with a little fur on the neck part and the arm part.

18. gdhmomchild

gdhmomchild Duct tape abuser

I have several and one that would prolly make half of y'all cringe. Everyone except one is second hand . One I broke down and got atta fest. Too cold not to. Oversized llama wool. Water beads off of it too. I call that my blanket w/buttons.

19. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

I have a really long, wool and leather embroidered coat like lucy's but i harely wear it, Its really hard to drive in it.. and i always have the heat on in my car as high as it can go so i get really really hot in it... so i have an ugle pea green puff coat...

20. carnelian

carnelian Member

i have a vintagelooking coat with fakefur. i LOVE it and it only costed me like $20.

[​IMG]