Hip Member shopping bag

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by 6-eyed shaman, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Yeah. But. I still say the topic came about because of the concept of meeting acquaintances though. Doing the small talk, then re-meeting them and having to acknowledge them again, or do you ignore them, etc.. The not knowing how to treat the situation being awkward.

Of course some people just don't like talking to people while shopping, in general.

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

talking to strangers is fine. it's talking to people i know that's exhausting.

Wizardofodd, Driftrue and themnax like this.
  3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'm fine with people. i'm just even better without them. i mean as far as feeling ok. and the things i like to do, i'm better able to enjoy by myself.
    but i do like people who are interested in things that interest me. that's why i'm here, even though this doesn't always work out.
    its why i'm on fur affinity and go to furry conventions, also in the past science fiction, and even railfan and model railroading conventions.
    (the latter are in the past only because there are none locally where i live now)
    these are people i meet in furson once or twice a year, though some on line almost dayly.

but the people where i live, most of them, i'm really glad to not know any better then i do.
    people on the bus, are of course a roll of the twenty sided dice.

the cash register jockettes at stores are cool, though of course thy're following a script, but there's at least one i 'know', who's wonderful above and beyond the call.
    (i don't know if she's one of my fellow artists, or if that's merely wishful thinking on my part)
    as for other customers, what ford prefect wrote for the guide; "mostly harmless" seems reasonably accurate.

i'm a bit insecure about not being able to name anyone i know in real life, about not knowing anyone well enough in real life, to name them as friends,
    but as far as my day to day emotional security, this is just simply not a factor.

its just a matter of not having anyone i can put on a form as who to contact in case of emergencies.

"just means we have to expend energy to be social" includes me.
    and much as i wish everyone love and happiness,
    i'd rather expend what energy i have, making pictures, and my imaginary world, they are pictures of.
    an imaginary world, that is mostly capable of existing, and my belief that more people would be happier living in it,
    then are currently in the one we physically have.

Driftrue likes this.
  4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Just came from the grocery store. My wife was flirting with the Yogurt shelf stocking guy. Last time she did that she got a free coupon.
    Also we found out they were running a special on eggs, but we didn't buy any.

5. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Yes, that's what I find.

themnax likes this.
  6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I remember reading a quote once, i'm paraphrasing because I cant remember it exactly, but it was something along the lines of -
    There are only two types of people who can speak to each other without reservation. Lovers and strangers

I never know what to say to strangers beyond mundane small talk unless i'm drunk so I guess I cant relate to that part of it. A deep conversation with a lover on the other hand, thats my jam

7. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I was at the grocery store a little while ago and in the check out lane. I was buying a bag of peanuts in the shell. The guy behind me in line started singing, quietly at first, and then a little louder, and then a litttle louder: "take me out to the ball game, take me out to the crowd, buy me some peanuts and Craaaaacker Jacks."

And then he stopping singing and said: "hey, I see you are buying some peanuts." and then I laughed awkwardly and said "yup."

The end.

Driftrue and Wizardofodd like this.
  8. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I sense free stuff for you in the future...or 'samples' if that makes you feel better.

9. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

This guy didn't know what to say either, really, but he was brave and did his damn best.

Or maybe he was just a nut himself, hard to tell because I didn't see him.

But what I'm saying is you can say anything, but there's no point trying too hard, trying to talk to every stranger, or strangers at random. But if someone's grocerys gets a song in your head you should sing it, or if you look at a stranger and like something about them, tell them. You only don't know what to say when you overthink it. Talking to strangers is mainly about saying thoughts you are going to have either way, out loud.
    But sometimes people will look at you like you're a nut and it makes you go back to keeping your thoughts to yourself. Then you have to get brave again.

10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The guy sounds harmless enough [​IMG] ............. as long as he didn’t follow you home[​IMG]

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

when i leave the house, people are amusing, and that's ok, because i'm out in public, i expect the public.
    but when i'm home creating something on the computer, or on the internet, usually trying to think clearly what i want to say,
    that's when i find the sound of the human voice disturbing.

its also, i like to be able to hear the sounds that are made by other things then humans and other things then humans have made,
    and of course the sounds of people talking or the sounds of things that reproduce the sounds made by humans,
    these hide, obscure, obliterate, the things i do like to be able to hear:
    the sounds made by wind and weather and little furry creatures, and even the sounds of distant machinery.

people trying to demand each other's attention though, by whatever means, even when the attention they're intending to demand isn't mine,
    that always kind of creeps me out, and when it is mine they're trying to demand intentionally, when i'm trying to do something creative instead, that to me is harassment.

12. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

unless it's their boobs. that can go badly.

13. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Some people just can't take a compliment

YouFreeMe likes this.
  14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

So glad you affirm my mindset here, Driftrue! I'm heading to the grocery store right away with renewed hope :-D

Driftrue likes this.
  15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

My soul is standing in line at the food store

16. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Yeah, he was fine. It just made me laugh.

17. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Getting soul food?

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm down to my last 4 tubs of peaches. :(

19. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Tubs? How many peaches are in a tub? What do you do with all of those peaches?

20. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Are we talking bath tubs??