Hip Forums and Dreadlocks

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Spuff, May 13, 2004.

1. Spuff

Spuff Where's my ciggies?

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that a lot of people on this site, from the pictures that they post, have dreadlocks? I kinda just noticed it! I feel kinda odd because I have spikey hair! lol:p

2. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

my hair has been short for over 8 years now, i dunno what it is i just think i look weird with hair longer than my chin. i had dreads once and had to get rid of em they stuck up all over the place. i looked like whitegurl coolio :) !! so far all the dreads i seen on here look nice tho. thanks for takin care of your dreads guys if theres one thing i cant stand its nastee dirty dreads LOL

3. Spuff

Spuff Where's my ciggies?

I'm actually growing my hair at the moment. I was tempted by dreads but the whole dirt and hygene issue put me off. I like to have clean hair all the time and dreads probably wouldn't be ideal for me! But yeah, all your clean dreads are cool! :)

4. didge

didge Member

eventually,i reckon,my hair will dread itself, but until that day, tis just gonna keep growin and growin...

hair is hair..

and i think more folk hav normal hair here,,.havnt seen that many dreads.

althou!!i must add! live in a forest, has the best dreads in the world!!!

(and she's stunnnning)

5. Odessa

Odessa Member

i think it's fucking retarded that people want dreadlocks beacuase they want to fit in. it's not about getting back to the roots fer some folks, it's just so they get peoples attention.
    to each is own i reckon.

6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I agree, Odessa.

I don't see how they (dreads) make any kind of a statement, seeing as that so many "hippy" types have them. It just seems like some people are trying too hard to focus on their outward appearance when one's personality says more about someone than their looks ever will. I think sometimes people are in a sense trying to hide their true selves behind a facade of cliches and stereotypes. I think some people find comfort in being able to identify with something that isn't soley their own, but shared by many people. I guess it's human nature, and a reality for most people.

I guess I just hate doing anything that too many other people are doing, so maybe I am just biased. Most people would rather do what other people are doing, so they can be accepted among a given peer group, than be their true selves, which sometimes entails alienating and distancing yourself from others.

7. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

So I guess what you're saying, Matt, is that EVERYONE with dreadlocks are conforming to what their peers want them to look like or think they should look like, and REALLY don't want the dreads??

Did it ever occur to you folks that maybe, just maybe, SOME PEOPLE actually are true to themselves, no matter how many other people do it?!?!

8. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

im getting dreads this summer...and the only reason im getting the is to fit in...just kidding...i really like dreads ...and ive wanted them for along time

9. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

i used to have dreads for years. i think youre doing yourself a disservice if you think that everyone who has dreads does it for cosmetic or statement reasons. it shows how shallow of a person you are. i cut mine off for spiritual reasons, now my hair is below my shoulders again and nappy as hell, maybe it will dread again, maybe it wont. true there are alot of fad hippies, that dosent make being a hippie a fad though. assholes.

10. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

No, that's not what I am saying.

I am sure some people like the way dreads look. I don't think everyone that has dreads is doing it to fit in with other self-described hippies or whatever, but I do think that is the case with a lot of the younger people. It's it's not limited to just hippies with dreads, but anyone who is consciously trying to conform to a certain peer group (and there are many).

But ultimately, I don't care what people do. It's a free country.... I think.

11. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

yea... :p there's some weird neo-hippy-dreadlock thing happening... who would've thunk it...

12. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

i have dreads...but its not about fitting in or looking like a hippy. i have dreads simply because iv neglected (not combed) my hair for about a year and a half. i dont care to look "normal" and i dont care about how others view my hairstyle, so i let my hair do its own thing, and naturally it decided to dread.;)

a lot of hippies like the grateful dead, but that dosent mean they like them to fit in, or be percieved a certin way. i simply means they enjoy the deads music....

if theres one thing i cant stand its ego driven games...like the who's "hipper" than who game. who cares if dreads are getting more common in our scene, and if your conserned about it or find it annoying, you should check your ego