Hills' theory of consciousness: an interpretation of nuclear evolution

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by MeAgain, Jul 16, 2021.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

So who is Christopher Hills?

Hills was an Englishman who co-founded the Jamaica Agriculture & Industrial Party, was a prominent player in the Jamaican art movement, supported the Rastafarians, worked for UNESCO, founded The Commission for Research in the Creative Faculties of Man, was friends with the co founder of Amnesty International and Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru, worked to find asylum for the Deli Lama, etc.etc.

Eventually Laura Huxley, Aldous Huxley's wife, persuaded him to move to the U.S. where he founded the accredited University of the Trees to study nature and its relationship to human consciousness.

He also founded started the Light Force company in Santa Cruz, California to manufacture spirulina nutritional products.
    Hills was friends with Alan Watts, Alan Ginsberg, and other assorted "alternative" thinkers.

As soon as I get time we'll delve into his theory.

Ajay0 and scratcho like this.
  2. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

CAN you teach me all this?

3. MeAgain

Stay tuned.
    This is a rather obscure book, out of print and I can't even find a review of it.
    I've had my copy since 1976.

[​IMG]
    I'll try going through it chapter by chapter as I did with John Levy but there is no pdf to quote from so it may take awhile.

The general hypothesis is that consciousness modifies the laws of nature (think the Einsteinian revolution) when:
    1. Educated opinion is convinced that the established body of knowledge is inconsistent with new facts.
    2. New facts are embraced before the established notions of reality are modified.
    To that end the laws of consciousness are real and are understood to vary from individual to individual. (In communism the self does not exist for itself alone, in Capitalism the individual is supreme.)

This is because the laws of physics can not fully encompass reality as the scientific method precludes the inclusion and interaction of the observations by individual consciousness on those laws, and individuals are who and what redefines the physical laws which are themselves entirely conscious entities as they must rely on the consciousness limitations of the human mind.

Therefore human consciousness will understand the universe only in terms of its own understanding of reality and express that understanding through seven different "levels" which can be measured.

Or something like that!
    And off we go as soon as I get time!

[​IMG]

Mountain Valley Wolf likes this.
  4. Candy Gal

I HAVE A LOT TO LEARN.
    But I am a willing student x

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

knowledge does not encompass existence. it isn't requred to. but it is only withing sapeint society that perceptions alter anything other then perceptions.
    any knowledge that proves true can be credited with falling within the compas of science. but again no proof is ever absolute or final.

people who have a vested interest in misinterpreting the meaning of science, will of course knowingly do so.
    no KNOWLEDGE is entirely outside of it, but LOTs of existence is outside of KNOWLEDGE.

nor does the unknown being unknown, require the non-physical to not exist,
    just neither to conform to what we want to think we know, what anyone tells anyone else to pretend or belieive they know.

i see a universe that is so much beyond what any belief encompasses,
    that the influence of what anyone thinks they want it to be, or assumes it to be arbitrarily, simply shrinks, very nearly beyond visibility.
    not ruling out that it could still be there, just that there is so much mush more. so much more that how much more may be indistinguishable from infinity.

and as for the act of attempting to observe at the subatomic level, affecting what is observed, this is simply a matter of anything to attempt to observe with,
    having what can only be conceptuallized as a 'fat fingers effect', by whatever name you want to call it.

no isolatable evidence of this being other then an entirely physical effect.

and again, not of that excludes the non-physical, its just none of that is an actual observation of it, or one that at any rate carries any actual definitive information about it.

6. MeAgain

I think I agree with that.

7. MeAgain

Before we begin I want to clarify that the book we are looking at was not written by Christopher Hills but by Robert Massy.

Chapter One
    Nuclear Evolution is a term used to describe evolutionary change on the way to Cosmic Consciousness.
    Nuclear refers to nature's self centered evolutionary process.

We change and develop by taking input from nature and using will and discipline to learn about identification, illusion, and delusion.
    In the process we must learn to use seven levels of awareness to accomplish a change within ourselves.

Of course I'm paraphrasing all this and going by my interpretation of what I'm reading and the charts given in the book.

At this point five words are introduced with a brief, and then more in depth explanation.

Lumen - Invisible light, pure spirit, Brahman, Pure Consciousness, God, Akasha, Cosmic Intelligence, Cosmos, Radiation, The Void, Absence of Light, Creative energy.
    Nux - Nucleus, Inner Part of the Seed, Our Inner/Higher/True Self, Blueprint of our evolution, seven-layered plan.
    Lux - Visible Light or brightness which is the Psychic light experienced inside our head, the action of human consciousness, Lumen reflected in the mind, Kasha*.
    Flux - Flowing of consciousness, Fusion of the Lux inside the Nux.

We'll get back to these presently.

* Possibly one of the Koshas or more likely Chidakasha Dharana (my note).
    I am aware of "standard" definitions for the above four words.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  8. Candy Gal

I am paying attention.

MeAgain likes this.
  9. MeAgain

The Word
    There is a vibration which occupies the whole of space. This is referred to as Aum. Aum is the high pitched buzzing sound you hear in your head when meditating, or the environment is very quiet. This sound is the sound of everything in the universe. (There is a yoga called Nada yoga in which you listen to this inner sound. As you listen you will notice that the pitch will change as you progress with the yoga. Each change in pitch brings you closer to ultimate reality. I believe there are seven different sounds which will correspond with what we will discuss.)

Empty Space
    The Lumen is made up of all the invisible vibrations of the universe such as cosmic rays, light rays (which are invisible until they strike an object), magnetic fields, etc. including the vibration of all the atoms in existence.
    The Lumen is the total universe manifesting as itself.

The Nux or Nucleus
    We are products of the Lumen. We are centered as a seed in a shell of consciousness surrounded by seven layers of personality. Each level is a different level of vibration. Each level is an outgrowth, as a seed or kernel, from our true self. As we have developed these seven layers of personality from the inside out, the inside Nux or nucleus, becomes more and more obscure and we forget the source of our personalty construct, which is the Lumen manifested as the Nux.
    Our goal is to reestablish our connection with the Lumen through the Nux by understanding the seven levels of personality construct.

Formation of Black Holes
    (This is an interesting idea.)
    When the universe becomes self aware, or contemplative, it becomes self absorbed. Absorption leads to the Lumen becoming active and activity leads to heat. As the heat builds it progresses from black heat, to red, then orange, yellow, etc., through green, blue, indigo, violet, white, and back to black. Each color being a different vibrational rate.
    The last black vibration forms the Nux from the black vibrational Lumen thus creating a black hole from which all consciousness emanates.
    (I picture a black tube with all the colors or vibrations of the universe radiating out form the walls of the tube.)

Are we lost yet???
    Comments?

Rotten Willie likes this.
  10. Candy Gal

Not lost, digesting it all Thanks. xxx

11. MeAgain

The Seven Universal Drives
    The black vibrational level of the Lumen became aware of itself at the red level, the beginning of the creative force. This is followed by self expression and by developing the intellect (yellow). Next movement (green), by the self, brings about creation and the life force followed by reflection (blue) of that which has been created. Finding completion, Indigo results.
    Having established order (violet), all creation is manifested and rest in the black void results.

The Inner Light
    Every human experiences these seven levels of vibration but few are aware of that fact due to the limitations of the mind and imagination.

What is the Lux? The Light of Consciousness?
    The Lumen as Pure Consciousness surrounds and encompasses the Nux, which is the seed of our inner self. As such we should be able to see and directly experience this Pure Lumen. But as the Lumen encounters the Nux, our inner self, it must penetrate the seven layers of awareness generated by the Nux. In doing so it is transformed from Lumen to Lux, or internal experience(s).
    As such the Lumen is filtered and only parts of the Pure Consciousness are seen depending upon the various influences of the seven different layers.

What is flux?
    As the Nux, or seven layered seed, interacts with the Lux, or internal experiences of the Lumen, it filters the Lumen based upon which of those filters are active, pure, distorted, and so on. The Lumen itself is constant, beyond movement and stillness, right and wrong, form and spirit; but as it meets the Lux, through the Nux, it seems to change. This apparent change is termed the Flux.
    The Flux is consciousness in motion.
    Lumen is consciousness in the pure state beyond all duality.

12. MeAgain

Real Change
    Real change occurs from the inside out, change from the outside in may be only temporary, or in fact, suppression.

Increasing Awareness
    Our goal is to widen our perception by seeing the results of our past actions, or karma, and the future implications of our present actions. If we can see our total past and our future results we will have bypassed our mental filters and allow the light of Pure Consciousness shine in our present actions. We will be in harmony with the Cosmos.

13. MeAgain

What are the Seven Layers of Consciousness?

Red: Physical Level
    Operating at the Red level, one is immersed in the Now moment without being able to see beyond it. Reacting to present stimuli he or she wants to act immediately without considering the possible ramifications of his or her actions. The advantage is the ability to act quickly, the disadvantage is a propensity to anger when his or her actions do not immediately bring about the expected results, now.

The Negative Red Level at Work
    Dwelling in the present moment and expecting immediate results those operating at this level do not listen to others. Caught up in their own thoughts of the present, there is no time to consider the views of others. The importance of one's own thoughts overrule the thoughts and words of others and anything they say is quickly rejected. The personal ego rules this level.

14. MeAgain

Orange/Social Level
    At this stage we become social animals and bond to others like ourselves. On the positive side we begin to look to the future and organize into groups like ourselves to achieve various goals. On the negative side we become overly attached to the group and seek status within that group often at the expense of others.

Yellow/Intellectual Level
    As we begin to realize we are outwardly separate from all others and all groups, we develop an intellectual understanding of the ego. Using this intellect we begin to plan, create, and seek solutions. Unfortunately we may also lose sight of the fact that our inner world is the same as everyone else's.

Green/Security Level
    As we realize we are outwardly separate from everyone and everything else, we seek to possess. We seek to acquire life force or Lumen as a plant seeks light .
    In a crude form we seek wealth, vitality, and long life. In a refined form we attune ourselves to the Lumen and seek direct experience and enlightenment.
    In so doing we may fall into the traps of self doubt, jealousy, and selfishness.

15. MeAgain

Blue/Conceptual Level
    The person dwelling in the blue level relates all his or her actions to the past. Experiencing the now moment he or she relates it to past experiences and constructs a mental imagine of what is now occurring based on his or her understanding of the past, then believes that construct is real. He or she may become overly satisfied with that construct and become committed to it, even when faced with contrary evidence.

Indigo/Intuition Level
    Reading these words an intuitive person looks beyond their basic meaning in an attempt to understand underlining truths. Theses person will have difficulty appreciating the now moment as they are constantly searching, looking to the future. while being sensitive and inspired they may also become impatient and impractical.

Violet/Imaginary Level
    Imagination rules at this level as what you imagine is what you will get. No progress can ever be made if one dose not imagine it is possible. At this level on may experience wonder, consideration of others, and surrender of the self. But they may also be overly self critical, experience self denial, and have an inability to relate to others.

16. MeAgain

The Seven Levels as Filters
    Negative aspects of theses seven levels distort our view of reality.
    When different people encounter other individuals operating at a different level then themselves, communication problems ensue.
    An example is when a person at the Green level tells another that they love them, they are speaking to the heart and want to fulfill a need for security. When a person at the Red says "I love you" they are looking to fulfill the sexual drive.

The Eighth Domain
    Beings who have integrated all seven levels transcend the distortions brought on by those levels and are able to see reality as it is.
    How Does Our Nucleus See The Cosmic Will?
    Being human we encounter the idea of space, which leads to the idea of time, as time is required for our bodies to transverse space.
    This leads us to assume that our inner self, the Nux, is also bound to space/time.

17. MeAgain

Here's a chart that may explain some of this...or just confuse you more.

[​IMG]

18. MeAgain

Pure Consciousness Made Manifest
    Any event which appears in our physical world must pass through the seven layers to be manifested. Before randomly passing through the layers all events exist in a timeless state. As these random events enter our consciousness we manifest them by imagination.
    Still our awareness is always limited so that we can only receive a limited number of random events which are then further filtered through the seven levels. As a result we experience theses random events one at a time as they pass the filters. This makes it seem that time is passing in a linear fashion, whereas in our imagination many events can occur simultaneously

Time/Spirit Flow
    To transcend the flow of time we must see it as an aspect of spirit. Time is the act of spirit, or Lumen, passing through the seven layers, and acting on the Nux, or matter. Spirit acts on matter, engendering time, and then returns to spirit.

How Do We Widen Our Angle of Awareness?
    By working to identity our attachments at the various different levels, and overcoming those attachments by non-attachment, we break free of the influences of the various levels one at a time until we reach the state of "looking out from our own eyes". This is enlightenment.

The One Universe

19. MeAgain

We are now ready for Part Two:
    The Annihilation of Space and Time
    Please keep in mind that I am paraphrasing this work, except for the quotes, which means I am omitting some of the ideas presented. For example I have reworded some of the "new age" terminology that was popular at the time of publication, 1976.
    Comments on what has been presented thus far would be most welcome as I question some of this myself.

20. MeAgain

Time Bound
    Spirit, bound to the seven levels of the world experience, engenders human consciousness. The active principals of the seven levels introduces flow, or flux, within Spirit thus creating time. This flow, or Flux, is what we experience as human consciousness and time. We live a "Life Time".
    The human body is dependent on time. Time governs our sleep cycle, biorhythms, ovulation, etc.
    To free ourselves from time we must free ourselves of the conception of being only a body.

The First Law of Consciousness
    We become what we identify with. (As in the body)
    Consciousness sets the limits on what we experience. It can also remove all of these limits.

The Second Law of Consciousness
    All things are possible.
    Time is normally considered to move in a set, linear order. It doesn't. Time is actually experienced differently depending on what we are doing or our present conscious condition. When we are bored time moves slowly, when we we are excited time moves quickly.
    Being used to the set ticking of a clock, we forget the elasticity of time.

The Third Law of Consciousness
    Time is influenced by the observer.