Hiking Appalachian trail

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by jokersex69, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Maybe walk from one side of the state to the other. Up, down, all around.

2. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

When you start looking and buying equipment I would suggest going to EMS ( eastern mountain supply) or other stores like it to see what is on the market and to get information. My experience is that most of the people working in those types of stores have the experience and know how to help you get started. IE: fitting a pack to your body size. What gear to take and what to leave home. Maps of where you plan to hike Etc. A lot of people over pack or do not take the right type of gear for the trip.. Even the type of clothing makes a huge difference . Leave your bluejeans at home as an example. They are not the best to use.

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Campmor is a good source.

nudistguyny likes this.
  4. Amontillado

Amontillado Member extraordinaire HipForums Supporter

It's Eastern Mountain Sports. Though I prefer REI, if one of their stores is near you. But wait, those stores aren't likely to be open, and if they are, the staff will want to keep their distance and not have long conversations. If you're starting from scratch, this probably isn't the year to be learning everything about long distance hiking.

What I've heard people say is that the major concern is how efficient your system can be at turning food into work--some people just can't pump enough calories through their body. And then you have to have a physique that lets you haul a pack over hills, day after day, without some part failing. And you have to have the kind of personality that makes you keep walking, even if it hurts, and you're bored, and the weather's bad, and you're sick of peanut butter.

MeAgain likes this.
  5. MeAgain

For me calorie in take was much lower while hiking.
    Breakfast was a cup of coffee and instant cream of wheat or oatmeal.
    Lunch some trail mix, and a bite of Hershey Golden Almond bar.
    Supper, a packet of mac and cheese or rice.

Or variations of the above.

6. Amontillado

Sure, you can do that for a day or so. But it's simple physics--you can't run the engine unless you feed it fuel. The Appalachian Trail Conservancy has a page about food, and they say that about 2lb of food a day is right, and that would be low-moisture high-energy food.

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy - Hiking Basics Food Water and Gear

7. MeAgain

Well I've done it for three continuous weeks, but I'm not a big guy.
    I used to pack for ten days to two weeks, then restock if needed. So that would be 28 pounds of food. That's a lot of weight. The only thing I ever took that contained any water was chocolate and the water in trail mix, like M&Ms, raisins, and nuts.
    Never took any meat at all.
    One bottle of water was all I ever carried, no matter what the temperature.

8. I would love to walk the AT, it has been a dream of mine for a while but I never thought that it would be a possibility until I read "Grandma Gatewood's Walk." After reading it, I now know that no matter how old I get, someday, when I have the time, I will absolutely walk the entire trail. It is an amazing story about a woman who walked the AT, alone, at the age of 67, then she did it again at 72 and one more time when she was 75 but that time she did it in sections. She had no actual camping gear and she wore Keds instead of hiking boots. I'm not suggesting you do what she did but the book was a really good read, very inspiring.

Granite69 and MeAgain like this.
  9. MeAgain

[​IMG]

MoonGoddess and mysticblu21 like this.
  10. Granite69

Granite69 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Thru-hiking the A.T. is mostly a matter of finding that sweet spot in life where you have both the physical ability and requisite free time to make an attempt.

So what you usually find is pre-career/family and post-career/family folks following those white blazes from Springer to Katahdin. Have probably done 150-250 miles of it in bits and pieces just as part of my normal activity but want to thru-hike it sooooooo bad. Missed the opportunity on the young end of life but see it as a possibility in another 10 years or so when my youngest is all grown and my wife is sick of me.

MoonGoddess likes this.
  11. MeAgain

Through hiking is very mentally challenging, more so than the physical part.

Granite69 likes this.
  12. MeAgain

On a side note, I just hiked about one and a half miles of the AT up to a lookout and picked up 49 plastic water bottles, 5 glass beer bottles, and numerous pieces of trash on the way down. I left a few plastic bottles as they were down a cliff.

Disgusting.

nudistguyny likes this.
  13. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The fine can be as high as $500 dollars for littering, but if there's no park service officers or rangers around to write you a ticket
    people just get lazy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Knife Edge in Maine

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    MeAgain likes this.
  14. hotwater

Before setting out you really should see this movie.......

15. MeAgain

No park at this part of the trail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hotwater likes this.
  16. Amontillado

That movie was a joke, and so was the book it was based on. See it for fun, but don't take any of it seriously.

And yes, the mental part is as important as the physical part. Except in Maine, there are enough road crossings that you can be off the trail and home in a few days. So, will you keep walking?

Granite69 and MeAgain like this.
  17. MeAgain

I just remembered the worse backpacking trip I ever took.

It wasn't the one during the hurricane and it wasn't on the AT.
    But I'll tell ya about it anyway....

Way back in '75 we found out that a new trail had been opened on Assateague Island, Maryland...and it was on the seashore!
    We thought this would be great. We could hike along the beach, stop off any time we wanted and take a dip in the ocean to cool off, there were no hills, rocks, or bugs, etc.
    It would be great, a five day hike on the beach!

So we hit the beach with our packs, tent, food, etc.
    First of all we found out that walking in sand is pretty hard with hiking boots and a 30 pound pack on your back. The loose sand gives, and your heels dig in stretching your Achilles tendons. That hurts.
    So we tried walking on the packed sand near the water. But then you have to dodge waves and if you miss your feet get soaked in seawater...which contains salt.
    So we tried taking off our boots, but then the arches of your feet start to hurt as the sand still gives as you walk.

And the sun is HOT. No trees to shade you, the cool mountain breezes turn into sand storms filling your eyes, mouth, ears, and clothing with sand and stinging your face.
    So into the water to cool off!
    Bad idea, as now you're covered with salt which grates and grinds on you as you walk and within five minutes you're just as hot as before anyway.

But we made it to the campsite which was like seven miles or something.
    Only problem is you can't camp on the beach, you have to go into the designated area which is scrub grass and salt marshes where the wild horses roam and it's a protected area SO THEY DON"T SPRAY FOR MOSQUITOES!

Let me tell you about mosquitoes.
    As soon as we entered the scrub we were attacked. Hard. My wife started flipping out and I swatted a spot on my thigh and when I pulled my hand away there was a perfect red patch of blood in the shape of my hand...fingers and all.
    My wife had tried to drop her pack and run to the beach but she forgot to loosen her waist belt and had just freed her arms so she was trying to run while dragging her pack behind her swatting and screaming the whole time.
    I ran over to her and grabbed her and undid her belt and she took off. That left me dragging her pack out to the beach while still wearing mine, getting eaten alive the whole time.

Luckily we had a self supporting tent so we set it up then I ran into the site and threw it onto the ground and ran back out. Then we ferried everything into the tent in shifts.
    Finally it took about an hour to kill all the mosquitoes that had entered the tent during all this time.
    We listened to them buzzing around outside all night.

We left the next morning.
    Never again.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    sagebus likes this.
  18. Varmint

Varmint Member

Now THAT is some hilarious stuff right there. It reminds me of an old saying:

Anyone who says they never worry about the little things has never spent a night in a tent with a single mosquito.

MeAgain likes this.
  19. hotwater

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It sounds terrible but from my experience mosquitoes are synonymous with camping and hiking which is why mosquito repellent with DEET is a must along with mosquito netting.