hijab.

Discussion in 'Islam' started by kar33m, Jul 3, 2006.

1. kar33m

kar33m Member

is the hijab obligatory?
    can a woman go to paradise one day even if she was not a mohajaba?
    and what about niqab? is it good? is it "tashadod"? what do you guys know about the topic?

2. catstevens

catstevens Muslim Top To Toe

kar33m
    yep
    mmm I think yes, but after being punished , ask a muftee
    QUOTE=kar33m]and what about niqab? is it good? is it "tashadod"? what do you guys know about the topic?[/QUOTE]​
    There are different opinions, once I read about this issue, I think it is not obligatory, maybe I have to read more about it .
    (= *Peace and love* =)
    Yours Sincerely,
    Cat Stevens

3. kar33m

kar33m Member

thx again catsetevens for answering my question.
    could u plz post the name of the sura and the number of the aya that state that hijab is obligatory?
    thx.

4. catstevens

You are always more than welcome =)
    BTW: hijab doesn't mean headscarf! a very common misunderstand, click here for the answer.
    (= *Peace and love* =)
    Yours Sincerely,
    Cat Stevens

5. kar33m

kar33m Member

sorry stevens but my classic arabic is quite bad so I didnt understand very well.
    but itseems that it is mentioned nowhere that a women should cover her face or her head but what it states is that a women should cover her breats (???) the fact that she should cover the face is an assumption made by whoever wrote the explenation.

6. catstevens

Check this
    (= *Peace and love* =)
    Yours Sincerely,
    Cat Stevens

7. kar33m

kar33m Member

very intresting so there are two point of views.
    hijab might not be obligatory if this is true :)

8. kar33m

kar33m Member

it seems that the reason of the disagreement is caused by not knowing what jilbab exacl means

9. catstevens

How is that! There is ijma'a on this issue, since the verse revealed all Muslim women wore it (hijab) by covering their heads & bodies! when did this odd opinion appear!And you can understand the meaning of jilbab by the haddeeth, let me quote:
    It was narrated that Umm Salama said: When the words "draw their "jalabib" all over their bodies" were revealed, the women of the Ansār went out as if there were crows on their heads because of the way they covered themselves. (Abū Dawud, 4101) ​
    A very clear verse from Surat Al-noor
    [​IMG]
    [024:031] Waqul lilmu/minati yaghdudna min absarihinna wayahfathna furoojahunna wala yubdeena zeenatahunna illa ma thahara minha walyadribna bikhumurihinna AAala juyoobihinna
    Women at the time were wearing Khimar from the head
    Imam Abu'l-Fida ibn Kathir: "Khumur is the plural of khimar which means something that covers, and is what is used to cover the head. This is what is known among the people as a khimar."
    The dictionary of classical Arabic, Aqrab al-Mawarid: "[The word khimar refers to] all such pieces of cloth which are used to cover the head. It is a piece of cloth which is used by a woman to cover her head."The difference between the hijaab and the khimaar is that the hijaab is something which covers all of a woman’s body, whilst the khimaar in general is something with which a woman covers her head."
    Imam Abu Abdullah Qurtubi: "Women in those days used to cover their heads with the khimar, throwing its ends upon their backs. This left the neck and the upper part of the chest bare, along with the ears, in the manner of the Christians. Then Allah commanded them to cover those parts with the khimar."
    Imam Abu'l-Fida ibn Kathir: "'Draw their khumur to cover their bosoms' means that they should wear the khimar in such a way that they cover their chests so that they will be different from the women of the jahiliyyah who did not do that but would pass in front of men with their chests uncovered and with their necks, forelocks, hair and earrings uncovered."
    Accordingly we can see that the khimar covered the hair, but left the forehead, ears, neck, and upper chest uncovered. When Allah SWT commanded the women to draw their khimars to cover their bosoms, the women were to draw the ends of the khimar forward and fasten it so that their foreheads, ears, necks, and upper chests were covered. ​
    (= *Peace and love* =)
    Yours Sincerely,
    Cat Stevens

10. kar33m

kar33m Member

thx for the reply.

11. catstevens

[​IMG]

(= *Peace and love* =)
    Yours Sincerely,
    Cat Stevens