hey you!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by StonerBill, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

Do you smoke dope?

2. Ole_Goat

Ole_Goat Member

Nope. Why do you ask?

3. airforcedrew

airforcedrew Banned

Neither do I. Why do people pride themselves in their vices?

4. Ole_Goat

Ole_Goat Member

I don't think they look at this as a vice. Rather celebrating what they would consider time well spent. But then again, I'm only guessing. They should be able to say better than I can.

5. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

Well its not like stoner culture is the most celebrating of its own simple practice for nothing.

anywya i asked caus i was curous to see if people in this forum did.

i just hate the way most people in normal society view weed as a taboo but alchohol as really fun, acceptable source of entertainment, and many give alchohol some special status for being the sole thing that drives most partying and large social functions. personally i find cannabis has been one of the best thigns in my life.
    caus for me, alchohol: avoid problems, think less, and from that you euphoria.
    weed: consider (someteims too much) your problems and think more. and from that you get euphoria.

chemically, that is what is going on as well, alchohol slows and diminishes brain function, weed amplifies brain signals.

i mean, if you dont, and you havnt tried it, you cant exactly call it a vice.

6. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

so its like celebrating the literal expansion of the mind

7. PhotoGra1

PhotoGra1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

...not really...

to answer your original question, not so much anymore, but I sure used to.

8. Ole_Goat

Ole_Goat Member

Each person is different. I thought either booze or pot (hell, whatever the chemical) interferes with the brain function. Slows it up - the firing of the synapes (and all of the other things I don't really understand). The euphoria is derived from this slowed activity. At least that's what I thought was going on in my case.

9. Co0kiezGurl

Co0kiezGurl Banned

Me and airforcedrew both used to smoke, but since he joined of course we don't anymore. He's a little annoyed with it now though, because so many of his good friends from back home are stuck in a rut and seem to be relying on weed and not wanting to go anywhere in their lives. Of course I don't think it's the fault of the weed...they make their choices y'know...but still...he's a little down on it now due to that.

Personally I wish it was legal like alcohol. I prefer it mainly because it's just as fun as alcohol can be, just in a different way and without the damned hangover.

10. homebudz

homebudz Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Actually,it's not the weed that keeps his homeboyz "stuck".I have always lived in small towns myself,and most people I have known are satisfied to remain home,unexplored,untraveled,and bitter.Most want to leave,but lack the courage to leave familiar surroundings and strike out on thier own.Way back in th day,I joined up as soon as i turned 17.That was back in '68.I couldn't get out of "dodge" fast enough.When I returned almost 4 years later,the same people were sitting on the same barstools,talking the same old shit.Sad thing is,some are probably still just sitting there,and this was before weed was so widespread.Weed is just your ol mans friends drug of choice.It could very well been something else,and they would still be in the same rut.

11. airforcedrew

airforcedrew Banned

Most of my friends she is referring to are just unmotivated. They do just enough "to get by." I used to be into about every drug there was. But I just was un-nerved when i came home, and my friends were so high that they could not carry on a full sentence.

When I retire, I plan on goin back to 'ye ole green'. But as of right now, I see it as nothing but a de-motivator for my friends back at home. I have one friend who was in college with me, I will admit, i got him to start smoking. Ever since then hes been down hill, and now hes on prozac. I know its different for everyone, but if you have to "celebrate" every day, then you have a problem. If I "celebrated" alcholism every day, im sure Co0kiezGurl would send me to AA. Thats my $.02

12. see in blonde

see in blonde Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Seriously bro, where did you get fed this propaganda? I have plenty of friends back home who don't touch cannabis for fear of becoming a "burnout". 7 out of 10 of them are community college dropouts, have no future to speak of, and either work for their dads or have otherwise shitty jobs. What is their scapegoat? Alcohol? Do some reading and see if you can find any real evidence or studies of pot causing amotivation in an adult who isn't already a fuck up. As far as I know, the two have yet to be scientifically linked. Many of the classic stoners or burnouts that people first think of when the subject of pot comes up display multiple signs of amotivation before they even start smoking. To them pot is nothing more than a rebellious medium to "get fucked up", and in its absence, would still go down the path they go as a stoner.

13. Co0kiezGurl

Co0kiezGurl Banned

He didn't "get fed this propaganda" dude. He's said his friends were just plain unmotivated, but has one friend who seemed to go downhill after he started smoking. He also has a friend who's done really well in school and has motivation, and smoked on the side. If he had gone back home and seen all his buddies drunk off their asses and stuck in their ruts, he'd probably be pretty irritated with alcohol. It's an un-nerving thing to see your friends that haven't changed or grown or anything in their lives, while you have. And he's right about "celebrating" every day... that's bad no matter what kind of drug you're doing...including alcohol. That's a bit too escapist and that means someone's got a problem.

14. see in blonde

see in blonde Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Well I apologize then. From reading the posts, it seemed to me your boyfriend's (I'm assuming) education level on drugs didn't surpass junior high health class. The fact is, I read insane amounts of information on cannabis, and know many many successful daily smokers. The secret lies in not getting high when there are still things that need to be done sober in the given day. Tons of people even use pot as a creative or other type of medium to actually help them with things like writing, making music, certain types of school assignments, etc. While I love alcohol, I am afraid users who drink and then do productive stuff are far more scarce, since you are just completely fucked up when drunk. It is also way more harsh on your body, being the toxin it is. So while I agree with your "celebrating" comment regarding alcohol, I see no problem in daily, responsible smoking. That being said, yes it is very unnerving to see friends who were once at an equal position to you in life falling behind and fucking up, but you have to realize they are creating their own future (or lack of), and it is their life to do so. Given the chance that pot may be negatively affecting their lives, they are responsible for making their own changes by quitting or cutting back. Many potheads live very rich and prosperous lives, so I just get a little irritated when people place the blame for their or other's shortcomings on a simple plant.

/rant off

15. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

I do.

I don't drink, don't smoke tobacco, don't do any other drugs. But I do like to indulge in good ole' Mary Jane. Ah yes, she is a good friend. My husband and I will get stoned and do nothing but talk for hours, exhausting just about every subject, and then the next time we will start all over. Good times.

16. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

well, if not really, please tell me what really.

Every drug works in different ways, and this is how weed works.
    the release of neurotransmistters is regulated into the synapse by seperate set of chemicals, inhibitors. weed prevents the inhibition of the release of chemicals in your brain. it is specific to certain areas of the brain, but almost every part is effected in some way, any part which uses the inhibition system really. the setback is that inhibition of signals is necessary for processing memory.

if you reduce the reduction, you increase the production.

Contrary to popular belief, weed doesnt make people 'think less' (assumed since stoners are stereotypically dumb) but actually makes you 'think more'.

but my intention isnt to come promoting weed, although i do, i jsut wanted to see what was to be said in this forum.

17. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Can someone come up with a political angle for this thread otherwise i'm sorry but it will be locked, as being off the forum topic.

18. airforcedrew

airforcedrew Banned

Please sir, do away with this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.