Hey! Scientist found a new shape!

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by MeAgain, Aug 5, 2018.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

upload_2018-8-5_18-50-36.jpeg
    I am not making this up.
    It's called a scutoid and they found it in some skin cells.

Moonglow181 and tumbling.dice like this.
  2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Scientists eh?

Must be Fake News... [/sarcasm]

3. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Far out!

My favorite shape is the tesseract. I've been a big fan of it ever since reading Heinlein's "-And He Built A Crooked House-".

[​IMG]

4. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That looks like some crystals I've seen...maybe.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

That is what we call in Latin, a, Rhomboidhexegus motherfucker.

6. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Ny favorite shapes are the Mobius strip and Klein’s Bottle since reading Star Bright written by Marc Clifton

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    tumbling.dice and GLENGLEN like this.
  7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

So how is it new if its been in skin cells for probably like a billion years?

8. MeAgain

True, I should have said they made a new discovery of a previously unknown shape that has existed in nature for an unknown amount of time.

beachbum86 likes this.
  9. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

It's also what one of the Infinity stones was kept in
    until asshole Thanos crushed the Tesseract and took it

tumbling.dice likes this.
  10. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes, like when a "new" planet is discovered.

MeAgain and McFuddy like this.
  11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

On your mom!

McFuddy likes this.
  12. BFlyBetty

BFlyBetty Member

Oh geez thats hilarious!
    I wonder how much funding they had for that research?
    :flushed:

13. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

That’s cool. I wonder if it can lead to developing new vaccines and cures for diseases that might not have had a cure.

14. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

What a neat little piece of news!

15. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Awesome! It is all out there waiting for us to discover it..I bet every shape anyone can imagine exists somewhere..:)

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Makes you wonder though.

All the money thrown into cancer research, all the money, resources, people studying biology the world over over the the last 100 years. And yet we only "discover" this shape, this year, from skin cells of beetles

????

Puts into perspective what shit we still dont know

17. egger

egger Member

Did scientists discover a new shape? Well, first we have to define ‘shape.’ Also, ‘new.’
    A cool scientific finding and a strange semantic investigation.
    by Sara Chodosh
    August 1, 2018

Did scientists discover a new shape? Well, first we have to define ‘shape.’ Also, ‘new.’

excerpts:

"So is this shape really new? “It depends what you mean,” he says. “If by ‘new’ you mean that it didn't exist before (like a new model of car), then the answer is ‘no,’ of course. What they mean by "new" is a shape that has never been mathematically described and studied.” It’s possible, of course, that someone else in some other discipline has described and studied the scutoid. Gursky notes that what’s new in one field can be well-known in another. “The same equations that describe the shape of soap bubbles also describe the shape of black holes, for example.”

To me, it makes no sense to say that something is “new” if you just happened to be the first person to describe it. I realize that by that argument there are no new species (barring those that evolve into distinct, previously nonexistent species)—there are only newly discovered species. To that I say: yes. I think that finding out about a frog that you didn’t know about before doesn’t make it new—it just makes it new to you.'

"All of this describing and naming only matters, though, if there is some larger issue at stake. “In the abstract, there may not be much to say about these particular shapes,” says Burt Totaro, a professor of mathematics at UCLA, “but the authors do have a point to make.” In a biological context like the epithelium, he notes, “it's not good enough to think of cells as having a simpler geometric shape such as a prism or frustum (a slice of a cone). The outer surface and the inner surface of the cell are typically being squeezed in different directions, and so more complicated shapes arise inevitably.” If you’re interested in modeling how biological membranes work, then, you need to find a way to mathematically describe this “new” “shape,” and it’s pretty convenient to give it a name as well.

So, yes, as Buceta himself confirmed, the scutoid shape clearly already existed. In that sense it’s not “new.” And maybe it’s not even what some mathematicians would call a “shape.” But for the purposes of talking about mathematical descriptions of a three-dimensional object that’s suddenly become biologically relevant, let’s call it a new shape. Welcome to the world, little buddy."

18. MeAgain

And this is why research in every possible area is beneficial. You never know when a discovery in one area will have important implications in another, and it may take years for that to come to light.

So when people bitch about X amount of dollars being spent on beetle research, or the sleeping habits of earthworms....you never know if, when, or where it will pay off in the end.

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

.....or there were 10,000 guys the world over in the last 100 years that looked at these exact same skin cells under a microscope.

And didnt even notice because they werent actually interested or smart enough, jyst focused on getting some lame paper out to see relevant and hang on to their jobs.

This one is a weird one, you telling me NO ONE noticed the shape of these cells until 2018???

20. MeAgain

It seems they first modeled it on a computer, something that is fairly new to biology as the march of time goes.

When they first got the computer results, which I assume were mathematical, they still didn't know just what the shape looked like until they modeled it in clay. Why they didn't have a 3D computer image I don't know.
    Then they went looking for it to confirm the modeling.
    Previously they had trouble imaging the tiny epithelial cells.
    There are technical limitations to new discoveries.