Hey Mechanics--problem here.

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by scratcho, Aug 28, 2013.

1. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Yes, it definitely has a computer. Can't remember if its throttle body injection or sequential. I'm thinking tbi. Meaning the fuel injectors (2) are in the throttle body similar to jets in a carb.

Yeah just go to autozone and be like hey can you check my battery and alt. It will load test the battery and check the output of the alt and check for excess ripple.

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

deviate's advise sounds good also, although I'm going with the fuel pump.

My father had a 94 Dakota, I think it was a 94, with about 100,000 on the dial that needed a fuel pump. Fixed it right up.

It had the old 318 V8 which is now called the 5.2 I believe. Great engine.

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

He's unavailable right now, but I'm sure it's a 318. Which engine wise, is a good engine.

4. MeAgain

Yes throttle body.

5. MeAgain

Sounds like a problem for Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers.

[​IMG]

I'm a faithful listener.
    My first car was a '63 Dart, shown on the left.

6. scratcho

Hard time keeping these posts in order--------thanks you guys --I appreciate the input. For sure, SOMETHING that has been said here is the cause of this, so I guess it's OUR turn now! He's taking a trip with his band --New Mexico to Chicago, ect, so the van needs to be reliable.

7. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I bet it needs ball joints and steering linkage also.

8. scratcho

Don't think I'll mention that to him just now!

9. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Haha, if I fix cars that way my shop would make no money. It's bad enough making guesses based on symptomology. But as a shot in the dark I'd rather spend $20 on a throttle position sensor which is easily changed, than $200 on a fuel pump and dropping the tank.

10. scratcho

ooooooo---I like the sound of that one. Throttle position sensor. Hmmm.

11. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

I'm not a genius at this stuff, but it would be good to measure the fuel pressure to see if it's anywhere near normal. I realize that the symptoms are intermittent, but it still might show up as a low or erratic pressure even if the stall symptoms aren't occurring right at the moment of the measurement.

12. scratcho

OK. And thanks. I'm hoping that the auto part situation might pin point the prob. My '67 is SOOOO easy to work on.

13. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Yeah, tps

[​IMG]

Those contacts move with the throttle shaft (sensor bolts to the side of the throttle body) and as it moves it changes the resistance and in turn the signal back to the engine computer. Basically telling the computer exactly how far open the throttle is. It's a 0-5 volt system. If that thing is dropping out occasionally, and telling the computer the throttle is closed when it's really wide open. You are going to have some issues.

Keep in mind some of them are adjustable. The one in the pic is because the bolt holes are slotted. So you need a multimeter to set it up. I don't think that dodge is, that's really a ford thing.

14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i'd rather check the fuel pressure and hook up the scan tool before spending even $1

i have run into starving fuel problems with bad gas caps...not venting and some will create quite a vacuum in there ...let it sit a while and it starts right up again until the vacuum builds up again....one was a dodge and it actually sucked in the steel tank so bad we had to replace it

15. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

If he just bought this, you might want to check if your state has a lemon law. Should be able to get his money back if there is one.

16. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I would check fuel pressure but I doubt scratcho has a gauge and even a cheap one is $100.

I've never seen that happen from a gas cap (tank vacuum) but it sounds theoretically possible if that and the vent solenoid were bad.

I'm still going with engine controls. Bad connection somewhere, or bad sensor. Or computer. I bet the heat sink on that computer is rock hard by now. They use those gel sinks, I replace them all the time in jeeps.

17. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

You could probably hear something buckling if the tank is doing that.

Would be good to listen for buckling noises when the van is stalling and afterwards.

I guess you could remove the cap when it stalls and see if that fixes it.

18. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

his year dodge would most likely have a polyethylene tank (in canada anyways)

19. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

Ok.

Like I said, I'm not a genius in this stuff. :)

20. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

neither am i lol

i like these threads...they always get so many different answers and guesses on vague questions