He's not gonna be saying the pledge of allegiance

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by AmericanTerrorist, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Seems like just yesterday I was making decisions about circumcision (against it) and vaccines and now it's already soon gonna be the schooling decisions... then all too soon it'll be like... "what do you do when you find him doing drugs?" and then letting go of my baby when he moves out... gahhh stop rushing, trish. lol. time goes super fast though with a kid.

2. deviate

deviate Senior Member

5 of my cousins down here were homeschooled, I can ask my aunt for tips if you want.

3. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Is private school any different? I went to a private school, and every morning they lined us up in rows with our class and we recited The Lords Prayer along with The Pledge of Allegiance. We did really have a choice because if we didn't follow the rules we got paddled in front of all the other students.

4. deviate

deviate Senior Member

But there are many many other things that can be addressed which promote the herd mentality on a much larger scale than that. I said the pledge, but my parents taught me what the deal is outside of school, how to think for myself. I still find it unimportant, compared to issues that arise beginning in adolescence.

5. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Defiantly! I'd love to hear anything anyone has to say or suggest that has does it. Starting with how to get started (sure it varies state to state but still...), as well as biggest challenges... greatest benefits.- Anything she would view as important.

Thanks. :)

6. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

At least we didn't have to say the lords prayer. I wouldn't be havin that shit at all.
    And really- where I went you didn't HAVE to say it.. they made you stand there though and maybe some teachers single you out as "bad" if you didnt. I actually do remember that guy getting yelled at once but usually they didn't do anything if you just stood there silently.

7. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Speaking of tax returns, I owed $2k this year.. paid it. Just checked my mail and therein lies a $2k treasury check. Wtf? Fuck yeah? Drinks on the house.

8. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

No one is sayin it's the ONLY issue though.
    Just A issue.

9. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Awesome. :D

I can't drink though so can you buy me a pair of shoes please? They won't be more than $30. ;)

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

was it a private religious school? Most private schools around here are religious. I wouldn't send my child to a religious school, but the good thing about private schools is you have a choice. You don't have to choose the one closet to your house, you can research and choose the one that mirrors your family values. I like Montessori schools but most only go through 8th grade.

I've thought about home schooling too. Some of my friends with children and I have talked about setting up something when our kids are older where one of us teaches a different day of the week. That way our kids can learn together, get the socialization, and we'll all be bringing something different to the table. The only thing that worries me about homeschooling is what about when the child reaches high school and starts learning higher level subjects - I sure can't teach anyone chemistry or calculus lol. I could be all like robin williams in dead poet's society when it comes to English, but my poor babe and I would be lost when it comes to higher level math and science.

11. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Uh I know right. I'm not good at math.
    I'm sure there's online stuff though... I mean there are online free college courses in math/science from harvard professors so...?

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

yeah thats true. actually, I bet by the time our kids are in school internet classes will be pretty common.

13. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Good. Cause I can do the younger stuff and then high school level won't have a prob w history (although haha.. gonna have to look up WHAT history im supposed to be teaching him for the tests... "okay case this is the REAL history and this is... the answers" lol), psych/soc, English, ...pretty much all but any math harder than algebra 1. Biology I'm cool with but not chemistry (altho i can get myself around erm... certain things)...

But yea there will be internet courses/teaching material and stuff... i'm sure there already is but there will be more n more.

Like... The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan...what were they about? I can see them having an "answer" that has to be a certain way so it's all - truth and answers.

14. Lodog

Lodog ¿

I went to school on army bases and just assumed we did it because our parents were in the army. If nothing else it drilled into my mind what side of my body my heart was on, and I never looked like an idiot not knowing what The nation's song was. You'd here a collective groan everytime we had to do it anyway and it wasn't as if we were proclaiming Ronald Reagan and George Bush gods.

It's a song about fighting oppression and standing up for what you believe in for fuck's sake!

15. Mike Suicide

No it was not a religious school. But in those days schools didn't have to be as PC as they do today. I remember my 4th grade teacher used to sit at her desk and smoke cigarettes during class.

16. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Hmmm... yep.. .you have to be older than me (teachers smoking in schools)... been wondering how old you are.

???

and lodog.. the pledge to the flag is a SONG about fighting oppression?

17. Lodog

Lodog ¿

I'm thinking about America the Beautiful like a derp...

All well my point still stands. I'm sure it just came about during WWII to drum up a nationional spirit while many were fighting over seas. It just stuck around. I'm sure many immigrants picked up on it happy to be in a place where they fled from real oppression.

Times change and we still have a voice and I'm sure this practice is already dieing a slow death.

18. Mike Suicide

really? were you wondering if I was older or younger than you?

me and snoop could have been class mates.

19. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

I wouldn't mind the pledge but I would take out the part where it says Republic, and Under God.
    Patriotism should be about making a country a better place to live and thrive, rather than we are better than the rest attitude.

20. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Well, I knew you went to parties before I did so I figured you were a bit older...but then again a lot of ppl started going younger than I was (I was 19 and I saw 14 yrs olds, etc)... so yea figured you were my age or older.
    Is snoop, what? 40? ish? lol i can look that up and will cause now im feeling curious.

**okay, yea, he's 41. I was damn close.

(sidenote cause i dont feel like makin a thread bout this. i killed a stinkbug! yay me i didnt even freak out)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.