Here Is An Easy Way To Check If You Have Spyware Stored On Your Computer..

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by BrownTripleQQ, May 6, 2005.

1. BrownTripleQQ

BrownTripleQQ Member

Here is an easy way to check if you have Spyware stored on your computer:

Pull up your Windows Task Manager Screen (Ctrl+Alt+Del on Win XP) > Select the Performance Tab

*notice your CPU usage, it should be 2-3% at all times, if it is higher you could have some spyware stored on your computer somewhere. AOL is a prime example of storing spyware on people computers with all of their computer updates.

I'm taking alot of networking classes and finding out new stuff every day. Just thought I would share my findings with others.:)

2. Trotsky311

Trotsky311 Supporters HipForums Supporter

umm...that could be anything.

playing music, file sharing, really anything in the background.

spybot, adaware, hijackthis, spysweeper <--ways to really check & remove

3. BrownTripleQQ

BrownTripleQQ Member

LOL..Well don't play your music if you want to check. But seriously, you can also check your subnet mask on the ethernet adapter & PPP adapter, which should be 255.255.0.0 not 255.255.255.255. If they don't match, you could have spyware on your computer. And yes there are programs out there to remove spyware.

To check your subnet mask on your computer go to:

start>run>command>ipconfig/all

4. Mui

Mui Senior Member

thats a bad way to check spyware, considering you'd have to close all anti spyware programs running in the background, thus leaving yourself vulnerable :) I refuse to close MS anti-spy.

xp has so many useless services that run in the bg too...

5. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Here's an easier way, take note upon starting your computer what OS is running, if Windows, then yes, you have spyware. :rolleyes:

6. Trotsky311

Trotsky311 Supporters HipForums Supporter

sigh..so true...even after firefox, spybot, adaware, and spysweeper, deep down, its still winblows.

7. sumtinbuggy

sumtinbuggy Member

Go to microsoft.com. You can download their anti-spyware program for free. It is effective and it runs quietly in the background. Do a system scan and it will remove spyware on the drive.

8. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Im on Win98se and when I look at the performance tab it says about 59% CPU usage......

I think its backwards because when I mouse my mouse it drops to 0% .. I think it should be 100% right?

My CPU is only 450Mhz or so,maybe 500........

EDIT:

Yes I think task manager IS displaying that backwards because Process explorer reports 17-18% CPU usage...

Attached Files: