Herb garden for winter months in northeast?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by johnnyfive, Jan 15, 2019.

1. johnnyfive

johnnyfive Members

so, over the summer my wife and I have an herb garden which for obvious reasons does really well. But once it gets cold/snowy outside our plants outside obviously die. I want to keep fresh basil, parsley, thyme and oregano inside of it’s possible but have not had any luck. We recently tried (twice) to keep a hydroponic thyme plant (from our local grocery store), planted in a small pot with added gardening soil next to out most sunlit window but they seem to die after a week no matter what. Any ideas on what we should do?

2. Hydroponics might be good for some plants but not for thyme, thyme prefers warm temps with well drained soil. Have you tried just using potting soil and small pots on a window sill?

3. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I would not use cheap potting mix, it is just rotted saw dust. If you cannot get hold of any compost then I would make up a mixture of sharp sand ( the stuff for concrete),some slow release fertilizer pellets, some moisture holding medium such as perlite, vermiculite or charcoal. If you are going to grow in containers you might like to get some probes: one for moisture; one for pH; one for salinity. These probes look a bit like a meat thermometer .You can find them on sale on E-bay if you cannot find them on in a local shop.
    Basil is an annual, so you cannot expect to have it 12 months of the year. Just enjoy it while you can in summer.
    If you want to grow hydroponically as I understand it you have to liquid feed twice a week and rinse the growing medium once a week. Probably best get hold of a book on the subject.