Hennepin and other beers by Ommegang

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by Pressed_Rat, May 13, 2004.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

[​IMG]

This is one of my favorite beers as of lately. It's a Belgian Saison Ale, which is a summer-style ale that originates from the French speaking part of Belgium. This particular brand is brewed by Brewery Ommegang of Cooperstown, New York, which is one of the top craft breweries in the country, known for their connaisseur-grade Belgian-style ales such as Rare Vos, Ommegang Abbey Ale, and of course, Hennepin.

Saisons are one of the lighter-bodied Belgian ales. They often run around 5-8% ABV, and range in color from orange to dark brown. This style of beer is extremely crisp and effervescent. The flavor is slightly sweet, fruity, but mostly very tart, with a good deal of hop bitterness. The finish is incredibly dry. This style of beer is also sometimes referred to as "country beer" because of its quaffable, rustic quality, and for the fact that this beer is often traditionally brewed in farmhouse-like settings.

Brewery Ommegang is an example of a modern-day craft brewery, built in the style and setting of a traditional Belgian brewery where Saisons originate.

I was fortunate enough to visit this brewery last summer. It's by far one of the most beautiful breweries in the country. It's located on a hop farm, on the banks of the Susquehanna River, in the scenic rural landscape of Cooperstown, New York. Here are a few pictures of the brewery that I found online.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]