hemp ends?

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Acorn, May 19, 2004.

1. Acorn

Acorn Member

whats the best way to finish of hemp jewely?
    i usually just do a dubble knot, but it seems like it will come apart.

2. plainjanepatchwork

plainjanepatchwork Member

I make a loop on one end. So I really double my twine and that is how I create that loop. Then at the other end I tie in a bead, like a big wood bead, as a clasp. Does that make sense? Macrame instructions are hard in written form. Or as you go you could macrame over a jewlrey wire. Then when you get to the end you can use crimp beads and clasps or toggles like a "normal" piece of jewlrey.

3. hemp_boy

hemp_boy Member

i do 4 knots the super glue then after it dires off i burn the ends

4. sarahstar

sarahstar Member

i used to do the super glue thing but then i got lazy about it :) now what i do is simply knot off the end, and tighten each strand of hemp separately as good as i can, knot it again over top of that, tighten them each again, and cut the ends off leaving only like 1/4" i have had no problems with it coming undone, and mine get *a lot* of wear and tear, hehe. for the other end i make a sliding loop which is really hard to explain without pictures, so i'll see if i can dig some instructions up and post them.

5. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

i just take all the strings and tie them in a big old simple knot. if you keep all the strings straight, it looks kinda nice.

6. Random_Zephyr

Random_Zephyr Lifer

i tye both ends in knots, and use a safety pin to do it up. i use safety pins for everything.

7. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

I usually make a loop and a bead..so it is like a clasp....:)

8. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

You guys take your hemp off? For some reason, i find that so so wrong.

9. jackerouac

jackerouac Member

loop and a bead

10. Cre

Cre Senior Member

Yep, loop and a bead here too. Get yourself some cool disk beads, they rock. I have coconut and bone ones that I use.

11. hemp_boy

hemp_boy Member

yeah some times i do. i make mine pretty loose fits on wrist. the only time i take it off is when i spar, and when i play pool( becuase my hemp slides down and once it got in thte way of me winning 50 dollars that i could of won from this one kid. )

12. xZx

xZx Member

lol i just tie stuff on and leave it there till it falls off, i have bracelet marks on my arm where i got sunburnt at the weekend cause i refused to take them off lol:eek:

13. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

Yeah i take it off..if i didn't i'd be wearing over 100 pieces of hemp jewlery..that wouldn't be chill...:) i have way too much i guess..haha but i wear at least one a day..i like to change them to match my outfits and stuff...

14. Acorn

Acorn Member

do you cover the outside of the knot with glue or the inside?

15. Random_Zephyr

Random_Zephyr Lifer

right now i'm attempting to put a toggle clasp on one my sister made for me. the clasp is a metal loup on one end, and a bar on the other.

it's tres cool to the max.

16. artisticphantom

artisticphantom Member

i ran into a girl at the craft store who taught me how to make an easier version of the sliding loop....... you put a small bead over the loop and slide it down to the knot that separates the loop from the rest of the peice... when you put the knot or bead at the other end through the loop, you slide the bead up tight against the string below the clasp bead/knot......... all of my peices are like this and can be seen at the url listed in my sig.

17. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

i double my strings and have a loop at one end... then i do the superglue and knot thing....

i NEVER take my hemp off... it kinda seems like a sin! but sometimes they get kinda smelly... and if they do, i take the one of that smells, and let it air out for a day or two! does that happen to anyone else?

18. greengoddess

greengoddess Nature Freak!

I usually use silver clasps. everyone loves them, they know it's not going anywhere.

19. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

ive done that before too... but the holes on them are too small to fit the hemp through. unless you are using a different kind of silver clasp... i use these!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    those are the two different peices...

bleh, im a shitty artist. so are we talking about the same thing?

::edit::

i found a picture, but its kinda small. here it is anyways.

[​IMG]