helpfull hints on soil

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing Techniques' started by Mr Recluse, May 11, 2007.

1. Mr Recluse

Mr Recluse Member

This is my second grow the last 1 was 30 years ago when weed was weed!! It was either weed or Gold,Panama Red etc. I live in Calif 5 miles from the ocean and have 2 plants going now. Very slow growth. They are about 1.5 months now and am going to transplant to a 5 gal container and need to know what soil I should get and the right food. Any suggestions will be appreciated

2. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

As your plants are already established, I would reccomend Foxfarm's "Ocean Forest"; it's an organic potting soil that is full of good aditives. It may take your plants clear through vegetative growth by adding nothing but water. It's a little on the expensive side but it is really good stuff!!
    Indoors - outdoors? What are your growing conditions?

3. Mr Recluse

Mr Recluse Member

First of all Thank you for your response! The growing conditions are as you were from so cal you would know that being close to the ocean you dont get much sun until around 10:00 A.M. as the summer comes closer the sun stays out longer. They are getting aprox 5-6 hours a day right now. I also screwed up BIG Time by adding Miracle Grow nutes in what they said and burned 1 up the other is doing okay the new leaves coming out are not getting green mostly a dark yellow. Thats is why I want to get my baby into a fresh 5 gal pot. I do have another that just spourted about 1 inch and want to make sure that it does well and get the 1 I have left survives. Please advise TH. I am going to go out and find fox farms Ocean Forest on Monday. Does Home Depot carry it? Once again TY

4. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

Foxfarm products are available in SoCal but not at the "big name" stores, you will have better luck at a serious nursery or a proper hydroponics shop. Ocean Forest can be a bit "hot" for baby plants because it is so full of organic nutrients. New sprouts don't need any nutrients for the first three or four weeks, they will do fine in a regular (non-nutrient supplimented) potting mix. Then repot into the Ocean Forest.

Is the one plant dead or just hurting? You might save it by flushing it and the other (healthier) one with plain water - slowly run at least twice the volume of the pot and let it drain through. Do you understand about ph levels? Ph is very important when using tap water. The yellow on the new leaves is undoudtably nute burn caused by the dreaded MiracleGro. A good flushing should help that problem.
    About the coastal, overcast skies, I have heard nothing but good things about the diffused light rays (except real fog). As the overcast diffuses the light, it comes from all different angles; which is also a benefit.

5. Mr Recluse

Mr Recluse Member

T.H. I did find the Fox Farm and but are out. They said they will have more the begining of the week. Thanks for telling me not to put the baby in the soil. I have been doing ALOT of reading and have a little understanding of Ph. I will try to flush when I am done with this. I am going to use Sparklets purified water to flush I am hoping that will be better for it. I dont trust the water in the area. I have been letting the water sit for 1 to 5 days outside before using (from the tap) that is what I read. Is that true? I am also going to get some rooting solution from fox farm also and try to clone the tops when I do get it healthier. As I said I have been doing alot of reading. Rockwool cubes, rooting solution. Or should I get "Clonex"?.
    As far as the bad 1 I did take the top off thinking I could save it and tried to clone it in plain water but no good (I am still learning) very much. There is no leaves at all but there is tiny growth on the stock where the sucker leaves were removed very little. I did take a magnifying glass and look and the tiny growth has a touch of browning very little, but the growth is very little. I am leaving it in the pot and am praying that I didnt kill the kid. But I think it is to late. I also found a site on Ocean farms and read the ingredients and you are so gooood. It had all the things I have read that they need the bat stuff, worm casting and other. I am like a sponge absorbing all this and it is great. TY TY TY
    I didnt know that with overcast the rays still hit the plant, that makes me feel a little better. I am going to try and find my digital camera and get some flicks so you can see what is going on. and once again Thank you very much T.H.

6. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

"Thanks for telling me not to put the baby in the soil."
    When a plant hits about 8", or so, it is ready for Ocean Forest.

I am going to use Sparklets purified water to flush I am hoping that will be better for it. I dont trust the water in the area. I have been letting the water sit for 1 to 5 days outside before using (from the tap) that is what I read. Is that true?
    Sparklets is good stuff, it's really a matter a matter of "simple and easy" vs. "money". Letting your water air out for a couple of days will let the Chlorine "outgas" (evaporate off), adding a small airpump and an airstone will even speed up the process. This wont change the ph level though. A variety of ph testing kits or meters, as well as "ph up" and "ph down" solutions are available from tropical fish stores and hyroponic shops. Ph control is a good investment - trust me! "Outgassing" the Chlorine and fixing the water's ph level is usually enough to rehabilitate all but the very worst water (I'm talking extreme worst). Many people find that a "reverse osmosis" filter system solves their water problems, both for growing and for the whole house.

"I am also going to get some rooting solution from fox farm also and try to clone the tops when I do get it healthier. As I said I have been doing alot of reading. Rockwool cubes, rooting solution. Or should I get "Clonex"?"
    My normal advice is "first learn how to grow, then, after you've had some success; learn how to clone". It's just a twist on the old "chewing gum and walking at the same time" thing! Some people can't handle two ideas at the same time and their enthusiasm gets diluted. It's up to you, if you feel comfortable - go for it! Cloning will really pay off later, once you have something that is really worth cloning. From my experience and what I've heard, most all clonning preparations work pretty well; except that gels work better in hydro set ups. Many people use Rockwool cubes (and love them), I've never used them (I guess I'm just old fashioned), but that's just me!

"I am leaving it in the pot and am praying that I didnt kill the kid. But I think it is to late."
    There will be other, better, plants to save; further down the line. It's all part of the learning experience. This is why we recommend using bagseeds for beginners and "store bought" seeds once you have developed some skills.

Thank you very much T.H.
    You're very welcome!

7. M4N14C42O

M4N14C42O Cannabis Connoisseur

As stated before, growing can be very simple. Fox Farm is a great start for veg'ing plants. I know from experience, it will sprout seeds but it will give them nute burn. I suggest a "seed starting" mix. Most Hydro or plant nurseries have seed starting soil. PH is very important, a crop may depend on the pH of the soil/water. It depends on the pH how well a plant will take up certain foods. I promise, you get a digital pH meter to test your water and you'll never be happier. Expecially when you get a few grows under ur belt.....you'll thank me and T.H..As far as the cloning goes i would take T.H.'s advice.....get used to growing and then, once you get the hang of growing healthy plants, start cloning and re-producing a great strain.

Growing MJ is much simper than everyone makes it out to be.......buying the best doesn't always mean your going to get a super healthy crop......some soils willl kill plants.

8. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

9. Mr Recluse

Mr Recluse Member

TY both for your reply. I really do appreciate the advice. As far as cloning. I do undersatand what you both are saying. What I was planning on doing is a more or less trial and error! The MJ that is going at the present is not a supper strain, just some very good smoke that had about 8 seeds in 1/4 Lb. Back to the cloning, the reason I wanted to try it now is. I would rather get it down to a science before I try it with a super strain. My idea is trying it on the tops I trim off my present and learn when there isnt a whole lot to loose, that is why I was asking.
    As far as the Ph meter I will get 1 asap. Will the digital test the soil also?

10. Mr Recluse

Mr Recluse Member

Another quick question. I read that you can almost control male to female ratio by controlling the ph. Is that true? If so what should the Ph be to have mamas?

11. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

I just wrote a nice long reply and the damn "Preview Post" button ate the damn thing - how rude!!!

Anyway now for an abbreviated second try:

About the ph level giving mostly females.
    http://hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153309

About cloneing now instead of later - go for it, you can handle it!

About testing the soil ph - yes it will, but it's a little more complicated; so I'll get back to you later.