Help, would like Cramp relief!

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by moonbeam7, May 19, 2004.

1. moonbeam7

moonbeam7 Member

Does anyone know any remedies for cramps. God do they hurt right now!:( (Guys are welcome to reply to this also if they know a remedy their wife, girlfriend, or female friend uses.)

2. moonbeam7

moonbeam7 Member

Please anyone!!!!!:(

3. BohemianSuperhero

BohemianSuperhero Member

I heard from a friend of mine a few years ago that pregnancy lamaze breathing works really well, though I've never actually tried it. Baths, soup, and anything else warm work on occasion, and there's always aspirin... :)

4. moonbeam7

moonbeam7 Member

Soup?:confused: Really, I never knew that!

5. superNova

superNova Member

yeeeeeeeeeah anything warm, a heating pad, a hot water bottle, eating something warm (like soup hehe) can help relax the muscles. :)

good luck honey! my biggest way of dealing is called "distract yourself and tough it out" - that's about the best i've been able to come up with :p keep yourself busy and you won't notice them NEARLY as much as you do if you just curl up and continually think about them hehe.

6. moonbeam7

moonbeam7 Member

Yeah your right, I'll just have soup and a heating pad and have to manage. Man men have it so easy! Grrrrrr!:mad:

7. nightmarehippygirl

nightmarehippygirl LEVI'S MOMMY

i had exploratory surgery a few years ago, because i was having so much menstrual pain, but after they were unable to conclusively find anything, i pretty much gave up on finding any medical treatment.

now i mostly do as supernova said, suck it up and deal with it. i will say that one of my favorite finds in recent years have been the little playtex heating pads for cramps. they stay hot like 12 hours, and so you can wear them to work or whatever.
    one caution though...you are supposed to stick them on your stomach, by way of attaching them to the outside of your underwear. one time i was walking in walmart, and mine fell off into the floor. i heard a girl snickering behind me. i think she must have thought it was a used maxi pad or something. i felt like such a geek. make sure it's really stuck, and maybe wear pants. lol, somehow it's hard to look cool picking up anything that just fell out of your skirt.

8. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

okay, this works, and it's not just for cramps, it's for general overall health. i used to get terrible cramps and i dont anymore since i changed what i eat.

• quit eating junk food. ***no processed foods whatsoever.*** if it doesnt look like it did when it was growing, DONT eat it.
    • eat lots of omega 3 fatty acids (they're in fish oils)
    • avoid supermarket oils (canola, soy, corn, etc) like the plague...they're rancid and they're NOT good for you. extra virgin first cold pressing olive oil is okay. just dont heat it--you'll damage it.
    • also avoid all flour. grains contain phytic acid, and unless you soak or sprout your grains, they're poisonous to your body.
    • watch out for xenoestrogens and phytoestrogens. (soybeans are a common phytoestrogen and they can cause problems for some people. eat other beans for protein and see if it makes a difference for you.)
    • eat *lots* of crunchy vegetables.
    • drink clean water
    • if you eat meat, make sure it's range meat and make sure it doesnt have any hormones or antibiotics at all. same with eggs, milk, poultry, and fish.
    • only eat organic food. conventional foods are laden with toxins. when your body is full of poisons, you end up with problems (like cramps!)
    • quit drinking any caffeine for the two weeks before your period.
    • in the two weeks before your period, take evening primrose oil, and make sure you're getting calcium and *magnesium* (very important!). raw sunflower seeds are a good natural source of calcium and magnesium. so are sardines with the bones in.
    oh and general disclaimer...before embarking on any major changes like those outlined above, be sure to consult your health care provider. LOL

and there's an accupressure point that helps too...[​IMG]just make sure that you're not pressing on the muscle...find the point at the web where you can press as hard as you can and it doesnt hurt. the cramps will disappear like magic.

9. Summertime

Summertime Member

I always try wearing loose clothing, laying down with a lavender scented heating pad, eating regularly and drinking hot chocolate! Hehe. I also take Mefenamic Acid tablets, but they're prescribed. I think the main reliever is some sort of warmth.

*Hugs* I have terrible cramps so I know how you feel!

Summer. xx.

10. thetaintedfae

thetaintedfae Member

Dong Quai helps I think..if I am correct. Can help reduce/relieve menstural cramps.

11. Indriel

Indriel Member

My sympathies, Moonbeam.. I've used that acupressure point to relieve cramps & it does work, it's worth trying. Also, curling up in the foetal position can help &, if you know a bit of yoga, going into the child pose can also give some relief. Also, try & stay off the coffee, cigarettes, alcohol, red meat a couple of days before your period starts, & a hot water bottle or heating pad can help as well.
    Regards..

12. kat2000

kat2000 Member

To prevent cramping pains, drink V8 and or Dole's 100% pineapple juice. It helps get rid of cramping. I use to get really painful crampings, but ever since I discovered V8 and pineapple juice it got rid of the monthly cramping. I drink pineapple juice on a daily basis and V8 once a week. Trust me it not only prevent pain it is also very healthy better any taking a vitamin pill.

13. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

That's what I do Indriel...I pull my knees up to my chin...fetal style...

...herbal tea defenitely works...if you can't sleep because of them...try camomile...I don't particularly like it...my mom does though...and it works for her...I like rosehip meself...:)

14. kazinspace

kazinspace Member

yer..they soo do

15. moonbeam7

moonbeam7 Member

Wow thanks for the help guys! I never heard of that pressure point thing. I'll try it!:) *hugs everyone*

16. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

A "rice sock" or "Cherry pit sock" Is really helpful. It is a cloth filled with either rice and herbs or cherry pits. Warm it in the microwave and put in on your belly. I find a warm bath helps, too. There is always Motrin or Aleve for the pain. I had endometriosis for years, and had some things growing on my uterus removed. It really didn't get better until I had my fouth baby.

I've been having some nasty cramps yesterday and today, and it was too damn hot here to use my rice sock. I just took some Motrin and felt sorry for myself. Today is cooler, so as soon as I get offline I will break out the sock.

Did those stick on heating pads help? I was always afraid they would get too hot. I'm sorry yours feel out in public. Can you use them with bikini panties? It seems like breifs would be better, but I hate them.

17. moonbeam7

moonbeam7 Member

Oh, like those hand warmers....

18. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

here's what I do if my cramps get out of control.

tiger balm on either side of your achilles tendon.(above the heel) THis is a pressure point but also the balm works here. Slather it on and wait about 10 min with a heating pad on your belly (i do it first thing in the morning)
    I keep a small container of tiger balm with me for additional treatment. I bought a sample years ago and refill it from my huge tin at home.

19. user__friendly

user__friendly Member

In the beginning of the school year, my stress + anxiety left me dealing with REALLY intense cramps the first day or so of my period. I swear, I'd leave school every month on the day I got my period because it was that bad. For the first 4-8 hours or so, no pain reliever and no warmth could make it go away. All I had left to do was lay on my stomach and tough it out. I just had to bear it, and it was horrible.

My cramps are much more bareable now that I'm not letting my anxiety get the best of me, though on my first day or 2 they are pretty painful. As everyone else said, a good pain reliever and some heating pad or warmth work well.

Good luck, I know it isn't fun!

20. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

argh, cramps suck. especially when you can't even stand up straight, let alone do something to get your mind off it (and people wonder why you get grumpy...)

Anyway, my mum's tried and true get rid of the cramps method is drinking a big glass of hot water laced with as much gin as you can handle. Unless you happen to like the taste of gin (i despise it) it's not going to be the yummiest cure, but it does work.
    other than that - just go with the hottie on your stomach, and maybe try meditating or doing something that you find relaxing - a hot bath with candles and nice music, whatever.

Hope you feel better soon :)