Help me please..tampons...oh god...aaah

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by SunFree, May 22, 2004.

1. peacegypsy

peacegypsy Member

I used tampons for years and recently one of my girlfriends introduced me to the keeper. it is a little cup made out of some type of gum rubber. Its so much better for you because it dioesn't absorb all your natural liquids like tampons do. tampons strip you dry. Plus you don't have to always buy tampons and padds all the time. You buy this for 30 bucks and it lasts ten years. Then there is also not any tampons laying in landfields and getting flushed into sewage. You can also put your blood back into the earth which is great for it because its full of nutrients.

2. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I've seen those! I might use one on a hiking trip or something... but I don't know about all the time.

3. retrofishie

retrofishie Senior Member

I've heard of those but i've never been able to find them.

4. peacegypsy

peacegypsy Member

5. ArtistofPeace

ArtistofPeace Senior Member

Are you a virgin? I found that when I tried to use a tampon before losing my virginity, I just couldn't do it...ouch, no way. But now that there are no barriers down there, I can do it, no problem.

So if you're a virgin...then go have sex, QUICK...before the prom!!! Haha...j/k...:) But, good luck...

6. Shakra

Shakra Member

For the next time you could try putting a little lubricant on the tampon/applicator before you insert it, and the best position to be in the first time is lying on your back (missionary position) as it opens you up more than trying to do it standing up.

If you are still a virgin it shouldn't be painful inserting a tampon, just make sure and don't try to put it in without some kind of lubrication (either your own or artificial) and since you are likely to be tensed up your first time, I would opt for artificial.

Also don't forget it's in there :p Once you have it in, if it feels uncomfortable then you haven't inserted in far enough.

If you have heavy periods you may need to wear a discrete pad as well.

7. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I hate tampons with a fiery passion. The only two times I've worn them is when my flow was so heavy that I needed both a pad and a tampon at night. And once when I was backpacking with my mom and tampons is all she had.

But good luck.

8. rainbowmama

rainbowmama Member

Have you tried something like the Keeper or the Jade & Pearl sea sponges? I use a Keeper and I've had mine for a long time, it's washable and I don't use up any paper products that have been bleached with dioxin.

9. DecemberSun

DecemberSun Member

I can't believe so many of you are advocating for tampons and pads here. I thought most of the people who posted here were into natural living and such, but it seems I am mistaken...

The Keeper is a GREAT way to go, if you want to wear something totally discreet. The Sea Sponge would be another great option, but keep in mind that those sponges were once live beings at the bottom of the sea, so... Kinda weird, IMO. These options are reusable, they cut down on waste, they're better for your body and the environment. I strongly agree with a previous poster about returning your blood to the earth. It's a great way to feel in tune with the great cycle of life! The earth gives you nutrients, you grow into a healthy women with the power of giving life to another human, your cycle begins, and you give it back to the earth to create more nutrients. Pretty cool :)

You can also use cloth pads. That's right, I said cloth pads. You wear them, soak them in water (giving your moon blood back to the earth, of course), wash them, and reuse them. They are sooooo soft and comfortable, I always forget I'm wearing them. They're much healthier for your body since paper pads and tampons can contain artificial fibers (like rayon, and those stupid gel crystals) which can irritate your uterus, thus causing inflammation and heavier bleeding, cramps, etc. Lost of women experience no cramping and lighter, shorter periods once they switch to cloth. And I just couldn't imagine throwing those nasty things away... That's not something I want in my local landfill, contaminating my goundwater...

But, if you're not brave enough to venture into reusable menstrual products, and you feel like you have to wear tampons, I'd definitely try different brands. Try plastic applicators, cardboard applicators, no applicators. Try different absorbencies- you should only need light or regular absorbency. Try a little lubricant on the applicator to ease insertion. You'll get the hang of it! It takes practice! I remember my mom trying to convince me that tampons were "SO much easier" than pads. I was just sitting there thinking "then why do they hurt so much??? This can't possibly be easier than pads!" Good luck to you!

Oh yeah- And don't go on the Depo shot! It's just not right, in my opinion, to not have a period every month. It screws with your hormones and causes other imbalances in your body (in very sensitive people, not all), which can lead to long-term negative health effects. They're doing more researrch on it, and it's not the miracle shot they once thought it was :)

Peace, Leah

10. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Sorry to say, but this was the first time I ever heard of a "Keeper." I've never seen them around here, they don't sell them in the health food store I go to. I'll google it to see what I find. Thanx!

11. Shakra

Shakra Member

Ditto, I had never heard of a 'keeper' either and was merely trying to address how the original poster might better insert a tampon for the first time.

Aren’t you doing exactly what we all did? :p I dunno about anyone advocating the use of tampons, we were simply handing out advice, just as you have done :p

[font=&quot]Is that environmentally friendly, even if it’s dead? Anyhows completely off topic apparently scientists are looking into sea sponges as a means to treat malaria and tuberculosis.[/font]

12. DecemberSun

DecemberSun Member

I didn't say it was bad to give advice about artificial tampons and disposable products, I was just surprised that not many people had natural alternatives to offer advice about. I realize not everyone is into the natural way of life, so a 17 yr. old girl might not be willing to go that route. I thought I'd offer some advice to her about the question she originally asked, considering I do have a little bit of experience with it. And I must say again, the sea sponge idea is pretty icky to me. I can just see them floating and waving on the ocean floor... Eew.

13. renee

renee Member

Putting it in the wrong whole? Believe it or not that's what happened to me... I'm like... WHERE THE HELL IS IT?! LMAO! I just started using then like 3 days ago.... They're the BEST!:eek:

14. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

I use the keeper. It was not to be found ANYWHERE in my area, I ended up having to order it online. I'm SO glad I did tho! Just don't do what I did: leave it out so the cat thinks it's a toy and EATS IT!!!! LOL (We don't have a cat anymore tho, she was pyscho)

It works great once you get used to it and get the hang of getting it in right and all that. I found I had to order one of each size tho (there are two sizes, one for before childbirth and one for after) because my insides seem to change sizes with each cycle, and one size will leak while the other doesn't. I haven't had any children, but sometimes the before-childbirth size just doesn't cut it!

I also use cloth pads at night or when I don't feel like messing with the keeper.

I do use tampons occasionally when the keeper or a cloth pad would be really inconvenient, but I only use the unbleached organic cotton kind that I buy at the healthfood store. Not as easy to use as Tampax, granted, but it's better!

I'm definately a Keeper advocate tho. Once you get me started on it, I can't shut up!