HELP - Itchy Red Bumps on My Toes

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by barefootjaime, Jan 30, 2010.

1. kazuya5611

kazuya5611 Member

As a dispassionate observer, I'd like to make the following observations about this thread:

• More than a month ago, you said, "I have a problem. Give me free advice."
    • You got lots of free advice.
    • You dismissed all the free advice
    • You still have the problem and it's getting worse.
    You are aware of the definition of insanity that it is persisting in the same behavior expecting the results to change, aren't you?

If I had started this thread, I would have come to the following conclusions by now:

• I have chillbains.
    • I need to keep my feet at body temperature (98.6ºF not 40ºF).
    • Unless I plan to stay indoors the rest of the winter and early spring, I need to buy shoes to wear when I'm exposed to the weather.
    I know that you have a romantic notion of yourself as the 'barefoot hippie,' but you're not going to look so romantic with infected or missing toes. As much as I like to go barefoot, I realize that shoes have their place. Other people may be able to go barefoot in the cold without problems, but that doesn't mean you can.

2. hillman30

hillman30 Member

I would have to agree with the observations above. If you didn't live in warm climes (in the 60's) then you wore shoes in the winter. A pretty simple truth. And we pretty much did just that. And given the detailed description of Chillbains I would suggest seeing a doctor or (on the cheap) go to an emergency room.

3. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

I admit, I'll have to agree with the previous posts here, and quite frankly, this thread is running its course. Since your problem may be getting worse or at least is not improving any it's time to take action. I'm quite confident what any medical professional will tell you is that in order to correct the condition you need to protect your feet against the elements, and that is wearing shoes and socks. We all dislike shoes here, but inturn I'd rather face the music and put on a pair of shoes to prevent your problem from getting worse. Look at a pair of shoes as tools, you might need them from time to time in order to maintain your health, career and protection regarding to geographical location.

Speaking of career, I'm not sure what your plans are after finishing college, but unless you plan to go into business for yourself, shoes will be more likely a requirement for your chosen field. Why not start making it part of your daily routine to acclimate your feet into some footwear so you will be ready for the inevitable once you finish your education.

Just my 0.02

4. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

60's?? That's way exaggerated, and especially not necessary by default, or do you mean Jamie now that he has this problem? I am barefoot year-round for fourteen years, we had a lot of snow this winter, and I have had no trouble with soreness, chilblains, red spots or such like. I know others who don't. It's one thing to put footwear on when you run into trouble, it's quite unnecessary to do so beforehand.

And I'm not sure about the US procedures, but here the emergency room wouldn't see you for something like this. It's for *emergencies*; if you come in and say 'I've had these red bumps for several weeks', unless you can somehow convince them the problem has suddenly worsened and is causing you great immediate discomfort, they send you straight out the door and tell you to make an appointment with a doctor during regular business hours.

5. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

Never, ever start by assuming shoes will be required! That is a self-fulfilling prophesy, if you search for work with that attitude it's unlikely you'll find something you can do barefoot. I do know several people who work barefoot, even in the US. Jaime does some work at a radio station now; can't be paid well or he wouldn't have the problem of not being able to see a doctor, but it might be a start to a (better) paid job in radio/television. A guy here works barefoot at a broadcasting station barefoot. There's a barefoot teacher, folks who are barefoot at the office for all but meetings... Also many jobs that do require footwear often allow relatively comfortable shoes like moccasins or Birks, and feet don't need much time to acclimate to wearing those. If I had to get a job where I had to wear shoes, I would put them on when arriving at work on the first day and not a moment sooner.

6. StraightToes

StraightToes N/A

Realistically, shoes will be required for over 99 pct of the decent paying jobs in the U.S. Many of us have mentioned - this thread has run its course. Talking about the skin condition won't cure it. It's time for barefootjaime to heed the advice he's received. It seems like most folks believe he 's got chilblains. If he doesn't like that free diagnosis, go to a doctor, clinic, whatever. Let's move on.

7. seohsreven

seohsreven Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

An exaggeration at best. As Myranya mentioned, there's a great deal of flexibility these days. Furthermore, the increasing trend towards telecommuting and independent consultancy means that for the most part, you can write your own rules. The best option, of course is to simply go into business for yourself. Once you're your own boss, you call the shots.

As far as the thread's original topic goes: barefootjaime, see a doc and follow their advice. You'll come up with the money if you need to. Ask yourself if saving $100 (and I'm sure you can find a cheaper clinic) is worth permanent disfigurement. Continuing to post here will do nothing to solve the problem and will elicit no further sympathy.

8. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

Yes, that's probably about right, but if you truly want to, you can at least look for that 1%. Especially if you're young and don't have mortgage payments to make, kids to put through college, etc. I also believe Jaime doesn't have a significant other yet -I don't know about other family ties but if he's young and unattached he might look into moving to a beach community, or even to a different country altogether, like Australia or NZ, where finding a barefoot job is easier. There are plenty of possibilities that are at least worth looking into.
    And even if he were 100% certain he had to wear footwear, I truly don't see a reason to 'train' feet for shoes as one would train bare soles before going on a barefoot hike, unless it's a job that requires a lot of walking.

It was mainly the barefoot job thing I replied to, as well as the 60's 'safe minimum' Hillman mentioned (my god, that's almost room temp!). It's no big deal if a thread drifts off its original topic as long as it's still about going barefoot, isn't it? If you really don't like it just stop reading the thread, I read only between 50-75% of the posts on here myself. The other threads either never appealed to me or I got bored with them too. I don't see that as a problem, I feel no need to read (or like) everything posted.

9. StraightToes

StraightToes N/A

As I said, over 99 pct of the DECENT paying jobs will involve office work, etc. that demand footwear at a minimum. I'm fortunate that I have avey good "work from home" position that gives me flexibility in my dress along with an above average income. I'm trusted with this arrangement (work from home) because I have multiple decades of "conventional" experience that gives my employer the confidence I won't abuse the arrangement. It's company policy that a new grad wouldn't even be considered for my position/"work from home" arrangement.

10. hillman30

hillman30 Member

No, I wasn't talking 60's temp. I was talking about in the late 1960's we who were there lived in relative sane ways regarding being hippies. In other words, for those of us who lived in NYC there is a nasty winter and we mostly (universally) were not interested in frostbite for some "pure" definition of who we were.

Saying you're a hippy cause you don't or haven't worn shoes for 2 or 10 or 15 years does NOT make someone a hippy. Sorry.

11. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

Ah, LOL, *those* 60's. In the context, I had misunderstood what '60's you were talking about, it seemed a clarification of 'warm climes'! :biggrin:

12. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

I wasn't going to reply to this so that I'm not accused of dragging it on, but I still do not want to pay over $100 to see a doctor yet, being that I can barely pay my bills and debts in this terrible economy. I am wondering, now that it's getting nicer out (shorts weather today). Will the chillblains just go away as the weather starts warming up? If so, I'll just have to remember to wear a few pairs of thick socks next winter when shovelling show, if I still don't own any shoes by then.

Thanks Myranya and others who gave me some advice on this matter and pointed me in the right direction. As for all the haters, I hope that you find some peace and a way to channel all of that negative energy somewhere other than at us hippies who don't like to wear shoes.

13. bige1030

bige1030 Member

I truly hope they'll just go away. They should if you're just having a simple reaction to the cold. However, I saw on http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1087946-overview (eMedicine article about pernio, a.k.a. chilblains) that they can possibly be related to some more serious conditions. Unfortunately, you won't be able to tell unless you start feeling other symptoms, they get worse rather than better, and/or (sad but true) you see a doctor who can order simple blood tests.

http://www.dermnet.org.nz/reactions/chilblains.html is an informative article from DermNet NZ. Of importance is the fact that chilblains are caused by blood vessel constriction in the cold. Important to recovery from them and to prevent them is to keep your circulation to the toes in good shape.

Diabetes and tobacco use are both common causes of poor circulation in the peripheries. Getting checked for diabetes is as simple as a fingerstick test of blood glucose. Ask a friend with diabetes to let you bum a test. Also, if it's an issue, work toward quitting tobacco use, so that next season isn't as bad for you.

To recover, I'd recommend hydrocortisone cream. Also, quit any tobacco use at least until the chilblains heal - if you don't, they'll take longer to heal.

The main concern is the fact that they haven't yet healed. That could be due to repeated exposure to the cold. Now that it's warming up, I hope that they finally go away soon.

14. bfjohn

bfjohn Member

I've just thought that those itchy red bumps might be a form of athlete's foot, brought on by the cold weather reducing your circulation and allowing it to take hold...
    But don't forget i'm not a doctor.

15. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

I am one step ahead of you, since this was my biggest conscern. My Mom has one of these, so I asked my Dad to check me and I came up with a sugar level of 102. He said this was good, since he showed up as 130 and he even watches what he eats because he is trying to diet.

Can you please tell me what this is? What brand name of cream is this? If you don't know, I guess I can ask a pharmasist. I am a social smoker, meaning, I usually only smoke at bars, and occaisionally when I am out in the garage, etc. I will try and cut back on smoking until they heal. I have been outside in the sun the past 2 days because it finally reached the 60's here. It seems to have helped at least with the itching, that went away, I am just left with the black and blue look of the skin, but that seems to be subsiding slightly.

16. bige1030

bige1030 Member

Hydrocortisone cream is available over the counter as various Cortizone brand products (like Cortizone-10) and in nearly every store as a store brand form. The store brand names will often have "cortisone" or "hydrocortisone" in it. The drug facts on the back of these creams will definitely mention "hydrocortisone" as the active ingredient.

Those creams should be in the aisle of the medicine section with all the other itch and wound care products, near the Neosporin, Lanacane, Benadryl cream, etc.