HELP - Itchy Red Bumps on My Toes

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by barefootjaime, Jan 30, 2010.

1. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

Hey guys, this is still haunting me. The itching and redness started to go away but recently has come back again and now I am getting it in places on my other foot. I did notice that it came back worse after the last snowfall. Does the salt have something to do with it? I wonder if it is giving me some kind of rash or if it's something else all together. I wish I had an answer. Too bad I can't afford to go to the doctor at this point. The office visit alone would cost me $100.

2. Niffer828

Niffer828 Guest

Hello,

I seem to have the same issue on the knuckles of my fingers, which just started a couple of weeks ago. They look like mosquito bites and are tender at first, then become itchy after a few days. I looked up what others had suggested, Chilblains, which seem to be the best fit. They came out of nowhere and look very similar to your toes. I am hoping to see a dermatologist within the next month, because everyone I show has no clue. Very frustrating, but I will let you know if/when I can get in with the derm!

3. SucculentFlower

SucculentFlower earthfirst!

Barefoot jamie... I do notice that you have a nail fungus on your littlest toe... there for I would think that you have a little bit of a compromised immune system, maybe compounded by too much sugar/carbs. Fungus likes those sugar/carbs...

I did get a gouty toe one time, but not in my big toe but in my next to last toe. Too much Kailua Pork & beer on the weekends....

Then I caught that damn fungus off of the beach.

I was sad that my sexy toe bit it...:ack2:

4 things I think could be possible:

Diabetes
    Rheumatoid arthritis
    Gout
    Fungus
    Sometimes folks present atypical early symptoms if they are sensitive types.

I caught the fungus because of the gout. I presented atypically. I suggest going to a Podiatrist & make payment arrangements prior to the appointment.

just my 2-cents..

4. yamark

yamark Member

I still say this is the world's dumbest thread.

5. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

I don't have a fungus on my nail. It looks the same as it always has since I've been a little kid. I am one of those people who don't have nails on my little toes, they are just "barely there".

6. StraightToes

StraightToes N/A

I'm surprised that after a month barefootjaime still hasn't done anything about it, or that anyone cares anymore.

7. yamark

yamark Member

I think barefootjamie is keeping this thread alive for the sake of keeping it alive.

You would think he'd have gone to doctor by now. And let this thread die.

8. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

Yamark and Straight Toes, I am very sorry you think this thread is stupid. Maybe I see hippie forums as a place where I can ask other hippies for help or advice. Especially if something is bothering me like this and I was a bit conscerned. If you would have read all of the replies you would know that I don't have a big corporate job with medical insurance and that a doctor's visit would cost $100 alone just for the office visit. That's a little steep when I barely make the bills each month. I live on my own, not on Mom and Dad's dime, so please extend me some common courtesy. :(

9. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

I still think it is those chillblains, possibly from ice, possibly from salt. The least I would do if they were on my feet is wait for the temps to rise well above freezing and give it a few weeks after that for them to clear up.

Going to the doctor on short notice is a good thing depending on what you have -itchy moles, bumps in female breast, swollen lymph node- but I don't think we have to run to the doctor with every minor thing either, small stuff like this usually goes away by itself. And yes, I do have full insurance, I still do it this way.

10. SucculentFlower

Well I'm no corporate worker, just a regular blue-collar prolitariot... my husband is a union millwright & we have insurance ( for the time being, it runs out sometimes and it's a rocky roller coastar for coverage sometimes) and I don't live on my parents' dime...

I grew up way poor and way into my 30's I've never had health insurance, but sometimes would have to bite the bullet & go in to get health care. For many reasons, reproductive health is one. Thats how it is sometimes...

One time I had an anaphylactic reaction to some medication & almost died. Well, I was shit poor at that time too. But there is a thing called indigent health care. You have to jump threw some paper work hoops but you end up / a copay. Most of the time hospitals will work a payment plan.

There are also health fairs that offer screenings at very affordable prices. Say $25 to have all your blood screenings done...

I guess my point is: if you really care about your health you will find a way, even offer work trade. I've even gone the alternative medicine route..

I'm a regular working joe, and I've been without health insurance almost all my life so that's no excuse.

11. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

I didn't want to turn this into a health insurance debate. I didn't think it was worth the trouble of wasting money at the doctor's unless it would get really bad. At this point it's just a nuisance the same as poison ivy would be. I simply wanted to know if other people have experienced this, or if others have gone to the doctor and found out a medical explanation for it.

12. yamark

yamark Member

This thread was started in April. If you still have red bumps, I'd think at this point you really need to consider seeing a doctor.

13. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

What are you talking about? This thread isn't even a month old. I just got the bumps the beginning of the month (tecnically JAN 31st)

Hey Yamark, if I send you my address can you kindly loan me $100 for the doctor's visit?

14. bfjohn

bfjohn Member

Why not visit a drugstore and see if the salesperson has any experience of chilblains?
    They might have something for it.

15. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

warm footbath with a few handfuls of sage leaves boiled in the water.

16. SucculentFlower

diluted teatree oil

epsom salt soak

calandula salve

17. bige1030

bige1030 Member

If it's chilblains or something due to the cold, I'm pretty sure that the doctor would recommend shoes and socks. So really, going to the doctor isn't going to help if he maintains a barefoot lifestyle.

To me, it looks like chilblains. Try to gradually warm your feet before bedtime if that is the case. Nifedipine (Procardia) 10-20 mg three times a day is the drug of choice. Unfortunately, it's a prescription drug, which you would have to resort to a foreign pharmacy to get without a prescription. Herbal remedies that have vasodilator activity might help.

Alternatively, I'd consider an allergy to something around the part of the couch where the feet might sink into. You might dismiss that thought because the eruptions are not more further spread out. However, something like a lot of dust (which could be made of anything) accumulated in the fabric in that spot might be irritating your feet. If you have roommates, they could have spilled something there.

For an allergy, try some hydrocortisone or diphenhydramine (Benadryl) cream on the affected area as directed. Both creams are over the counter. Also, you might try antihistamine tablets. I would recommend diphenhydramine (Benadryl) to start with. Even though it might make you sleepy and dry, it is the fastest acting antihistamine known. If that works, you can eventually switch to a non-sedating antihistamine like loratadine (Claritin) or cetirizine (Zyrtec).

Another thing to consider: friction. You might not realize yourself moving your foot or feet a lot at night. The solution for that would be to try wearing bandages, socks, wrapping something around the joints of the toes, or trying your best to sleep in a different position, with your feet up off the couch. Of course, the pattern of the skin eruption would tell you what parts of your feet are rubbing the most.

Finally, consider dry skin. Badly dried out skin can get easily irritated, especially by whatever friction or movement your toe joints might experience. Perhaps it's worse at night because of rubbing against the couch. Lotion is, of course, the solution. Apply to the affected area and wrap something around it or wear socks to keep the lotion on at night.

18. alexflower

alexflower Member

Hey,
    I get the exact same thing going on. It happens on my feet and hands. I went to the doctor and they diagnosed it as chillblains. They sometimes just appear over night or during the day and I notice later in the day. The come up as red bumps like blisters and feel really a bit like burning and itching. If it is chillblains, they are caused by blood vessells contracting and not expanding quickly enough causing a swelling and blister. You can help prevent them by keeping your feet (or wherever it's happening) at a regular body temperature and by wearing no shoes or loose slippers/socks at home. Barefoot indoors if it's warm enough. Soaking your feet in warm (not hot hot) water and warming them up slowly if they get cold outdoors.

Sorry for the essay but hopefully this is kinda helpful.
    Hope your feet get better soon :)

19. Commander

Commander Guest

So many amateur doctors with so many wrong diagnosis and bad advice.

From the pictures and the symptoms provided, these are clearly and, without doubt, chilblains. (The word chilblains is singular, not plural by the way).

Chilblains is caused by inflammation of small blood vessels in your skin and is due to sudden warming from cold temperatures. Chilblains can cause itching, red patches, swelling and blistering, in particular on extremities such as on your toes, fingers, ears and nose. Chilblains appears typically 2 to 4 hours after expose to cold and usually responds well to treatment and clears up within 14 days. Chilblains can lead to severe damage if left untreated.

One common predisposition to chilblains is diabetes, but any condition causing poor circulation can predispose a person.

Many people with chilblains never need to see a doctor and just use lotions to alleviate the pain and itching. However, if the pain becomes severe or the affected skin turns dark blue or black, or becomes broken and shows signs of infection, seek medical help. Be sure to seek medical attention if the skin becomes infected or if it doesn't improve after 14 days, people have lost toes or parts of their feet as a result of chilblains. Infection in the blood vessels due to chilblains can be life threatening.

Early symptoms can be treated with corticosteroid creams, which relieve the itching and swelling. A drug called nifedipine (Adalat, Procardia) is sometimes used to treat chilblains since it can help open up blood vessels; however, it's only a moderately successful drug. Corticosteriods and nifedipine are prescription products in most countries.

As for the exact cause: Chilblains is because of an abnormal reaction by your body to cold. It tends to develop on skin that's exposed to cold and is then warmed too quickly, such as by warming your hands or feet directly in front of a heater or fire. This cooling and rapid heating can cause small blood vessels under your skin to expand more quickly than the nearby larger blood vessels can handle, resulting in a "bottleneck" effect and the blood the leaks into nearby tissues. Never rapidly warm cold hands or feet by hold in front of a heater, never by soaking in warm or hot water. Instead, cover the affected parts and let them warm normally. Women are many times more susceptible to chilblains, but it is not known why.

The best approach to chilblains is to avoid developing it by limiting your exposure to cold, dressing warmly and covering exposed skin. Having once developed chilblains you will, almost certainly get them again, and they are likely to get worse on each successive attack.

20. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

I just developed a 4th one about 2 days ago on my middle toe. Itches like Hell, and it has been much warmer out lately, in the 40's as opposed to the 20's and below. So why would I get another one if the pavements are no longer freezing?