HELP - Itchy Red Bumps on My Toes

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by barefootjaime, Jan 30, 2010.

1. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

I don't think it's frostbites because they develop at night, while I am sleeping.

2. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

3. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

It can be some time after you get back inside before they really show. How long before you went to bed did you last go outside? Were you indoors for hours or did you come home only a little before heading to bed?
    Also, how are they keeping up, getting less or spreading or staying the same?

4. bfjohn

bfjohn Member

Looks like chilblains to me, we get a lot of that in the UK in hard winters

5. StraightToes

StraightToes N/A

I'd never heard of chilblains, so I had to google it. Here's what one page had to say about it,...

chilblains - Small, itchy, red areas on the skin that may become swollen, blue, painful, and cracked. They are caused when blood leaks into the tissues after exposure to the cold in temperate humid climates. Chilblains are treated with lotion and, if the skin has cracked, with an antiseptic.

Maybe you've hit on it.

6. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

That was the kind of 'frostbite/slush burn' I meant, couldn't think of the correct term, I knew true frostbite didn't look quite like that but it was something similar.

7. StraightToes

StraightToes N/A

I was wondering if "chilblains" was called something else in the U.S., but I couldn't find any synonyms I recognized. My wife's a nurse and has an illustrated medical dictionary. If you ever want to lose your appetite, open that up and look at the pictures.:eek: I'd still want to get the rash properly diagnosed and treated.

8. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

Very good information. I think you figured out what happened to me. I read the article and looked at the photos and it does make sense that this could be what happened to my feet. There is one part of the article that I want to figure out:

"Chilblains are acral ulcers (that is, ulcers affecting the extremities) that occur when a predisposed individual is exposed to cold and humidity."

What do they mean by predisposed individuals?

9. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

All it means is someone who has a higher than baseline risk of developing these. They don't say what would cause predisposition, other than "connective tissue damage".

10. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

Hmmmm, interesting. I consider myself a pretty healthy individual. I don't have connective tissue damage that I know of.

11. Nova?!

Nova?! The Walrus

now i didn't read all the posts so i don't know if someone said this already, but i get itchy feet in the summertime from walking around barefoot and what not. when it happens i put talcum powder in my socks and walk around in slippers(so the powder doesn't escape my socks and get everywhere)

It seems to help me.

12. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

Sadly another week has passed and they are still there, but they seem to not itch or ache anymore. I just wish I could get rid of them since I have no shoes and my feet are always exposed.

[​IMG]

13. yamark

yamark Member

This is one stupid thred.

14. StraightToes

StraightToes N/A

WebMD for the Hip Forums community, LOL? :) Personally, I go to the doc with my medical questions, but maybe Jamie doesn't have a student clinic available or health insurance.

15. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

Out college is not big enough to have a health clinic and I don't have or can't afford medical insurance at $600+ per month.

16. Let's not be rude. This is a public forum.

17. bfjohn

bfjohn Member

600 a month medical insurance? wow! I'm glad mine is free (at point of use..)

18. BlondeCro

BlondeCro Guest

barefootjaime - i am having the exact same problem!!!!! i have had it for about 1-2 weeks and its been spreading... itchy, red, firm, painful-to-the-touch bumps on my toes, almost exactly like what was in your picture. At first it was just one or two.. but now I have at least one on each toe and up to 10 on my big toe! I have no idea what it is... I am planning on going to the doc tomorrow or next week and will let you know what they say!!!

19. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

Well, mine is not spreading anymore. It's just the same as it looks in the pics. But, def. let me know what the doctor says. Just for the record, how often do you go around barefoot and have you been doing alot of barefooting recently?

20. BlondeCro

BlondeCro Guest

barefootjaime - at home, i am usually always in socks (except while sleeping)... but in the past couple weeks, i have been mostly barefoot while at home... so maybe it's a reaction to something on the rugs or tile?! i have no idea...

i went to the doctor today, and she said that she doesn't know.. could be a fungal infection or an allergy or a combination of both. she wants me to go to the dermatologist on monday if this fungal cream doesn't work over the weekend.... although, i must say, i have looked at fungal infections on feet on the internet and mine do not look like that - mine look like mosquito bites... i'll keep you updated!