help for a beginner. please.

Discussion in 'French' started by finetunemoon, May 6, 2007.

1. finetunemoon

finetunemoon Member

Hi everyone, I just begining to learn french as i really admire people who can speak more than one language. I did french at school (i am now 26) but still remember some words and fraises, I have been listening to french radio and picking words out. I also have a couple of programs on my laptop and some books to help me.

Is there a method that anyone has used to help then learn quicker. unfortunatly i don't know anyone else who wants to learn.

Any feedback, tips and help will be much appreciated.

Merci.

Kevin.

2. fredo

fredo Member

Hi Kevin

You should try to find a native from France, someone that will have time to share (in french). Best method is : come to France ! Spend a year ;-)
    If you can't, find a french correspondant to write to ...

I'd like to do the same for english, so I decided to come over a friend's place for a while to practice everyday ...

I'm 28, learned english at school for many years and could bearly have a simple conversation. Then I went every summer during 5 years to california visit my family and that was the only time I felt like : Ok now I practice hard ! :)

3. gazelle

gazelle Member

The best way I've found is to take a class. Surely there's a university or something near you that offers beginning French classes. After you learn enough, try going to France and immersing yourself in the language. Worked for me.

4. plastic bagism

plastic bagism Member

Take my word on this.

The Michel Tomas program is the easiest and fastest way to learning French (or German, Italian-- his other programs). No memorization, books, or practice. You just listen to cds and repeat. Easy as that. I've listened to one cd so far (2 hours) and can speak over 300 phrases and 2000 words. Sounds crazy but it works. The only downside is that they are pretty expensive-- somewhere around $75 a set.

Supposedly Bob Dylan used the cds and advocated his method later.

Good luck.