help! (albums to cds?)

Discussion in 'Music' started by nightmarehippygirl, May 25, 2004.

1. nightmarehippygirl

nightmarehippygirl LEVI'S MOMMY

ok, guys i wasn't sure to post this here, or in the computer forum, but anyway...
    my cool uncle called tonight to tell me that he was going to give me his entire vintage record collection, which consists of several hundred classic rock albums. i am so excited, i could pee my pants!
    anyway, what i'm wondering is whether there is any way to hook a turntable up to a pc so that can burn records to cds. my husband seems to think this would be possible, and it sounds reasonable, but we are computer retarded, and have no idea, really.
    anyone know how to do this or if it's even possible? thanks in advance for any help.

2. FireQuint

FireQuint Member

Wow, that would be a royal pain in the ass.

Just download the shit. LOL

3. butterfly

butterfly Member

I think it is possible, but I'm not sure how, my dad was looking into at as he wants to put all his ancient massive tapes onto the computer.

4. Micro

Micro Member

You're going to need software that converts analog to midi. Maybe FruityLoops or Cakewalk. There might be shareware or freeware.

5. nightmarehippygirl

thanks, micro. i did a search online and came up with one site that had a lot of software to download for this sort of thing. i'll have to play around with it, when i have time.

fire, not all of the albums would be available to download. my uncle is 51 now, and has been collecting the records since he was like 15. he had to special order many of them 30 years ago. a few of the records have been issued as cds, i'm sure, but many of them not.

anyway, he is supposed to bringing them to me in july, so hopefully i'll figure out how to do it by then. if i have any success, i'll let everyone know.

6. FireQuint

FireQuint Member

Well when you get'em. List a few. I'm almost positive I can find anything.

k?

7. Silent Jay & The

Silent Jay & The Member

Ok, first of all you need an audio recording software to record wav's or mp3's.

Then you should have a reciever which is connected to the tutntables.

You have to buy a cable that has a left and a right output and one input.
    The input stick has to be connected with the soundcard (digital in or so).

Now you start your software, click on "record", turn your turntables on and than it works.

But it is very shitty to do that with every record. You'll probably need many hours to finish everything. Buy new CD's or download it.

8. boog

boog A square peg

my dad did it with alot of his unreleased to cd vinyl took him a while and he managed to fuck up separating some of the tracks.
    but if its important enought for ya.........

9. FireQuint

FireQuint Member

Like I said

10. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

why would you want to go from analog to digital?? fuck, just spend time downloading the shit.

11. nightmarehippygirl

thanks for the info. i wasn't going to burn every album. that would take an eternity. i'm just planning on doing the a few of the best ones...

besides, you know how sometimes you get an idea in your head, then you have to try it, to see if you can do it...yeah well it's kinda dumb but this is one of those things, lol. i was just curious about the process.

12. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

My Unc did that with his beatles collection. He had wires all over the house, to the turntable, comp, speakers....

13. serra

serra tentacle girl

i know it would be possible but it might take a lot more effort than it would be worth!

why would you want to convert all that beaaaaautiful wax to analogue anyways?? get yourself a record player honey!! it sounds about 30947362305454854 times better than digital!!! =)

14. nightmarehippygirl

serra, just for the hell of it, i guess hehe. anyway, i'm going to buy a record player. lol, i originally posted to see if anyone had ever done this before, really just curious if it was possible. i know some people like to tinker around with their computers. we just upgraged our old lame ass computer, and we must be the last people in the world to get a cd burner. i just wanted to play around with it.

15. Tye Dye Jim

Tye Dye Jim Member

Here's how I do it. I hook up my minidisc to the stereo and record whatever album(s) that I need done. Then I run the MD thru the computer w/ Music Match 6 as a WAV file, then edit it into trax with CD Wave and finally burn it to CD. It's also the process that I use to transfer my live recordings to the computer for burning.