Help: Admissions Interview/Portfolio review and Essays

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by kidswillbeskeletons, Jan 2, 2005.

1. kidswillbeskeletons

kidswillbeskeletons Member

I am so freaked out about it. I got a letter saying that I have to write an essay and have an interview with the director of the school of visual communication (the school i want to get into) at Ohio University. I have no idea what this is going to be like. I also don't know how to go about writing the essay. I have to write about why I want to go to this particular school. I have about two weeks to do this. The letter also said that 150 students applied and there are only 80 people going to be admitted.
    Anybody have any advice or similar experiences?

2. Bonky

Bonky Member

don't worry about interview.I had one and it's ok.normal conversation and they just want to learn more about you and vice versa.also, a good question for you to ask and look increadibly smart( one interviewer adviced this one,not mine idea but I used it :) ): what did you get from your college(interviewer)? what do you remember from those years?

and essay... I HATE THEM!!!!!!! well, describe why you want it, ask mom for some advices (moms always know) and give it to your counselor to edit it for you.she/he might have some suggestions as well

3. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

good luck lyndsay.....I would put in a good word there at my alma mater, but it might actually hurt rather than help :D

If it doesn't work out for some reason, you could always go in undecided and then apply to get in later in the year, although i think you'll make it no problem....just mention that you wanted to go to a school that George Washington himself located.

4. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

Don't take the essay to mom, take it to a professor you like.

Don't just gush about how cool visual communication is, explain why you think it's cool -- how did you get interested in it, what aspect do you find most fascinating... Use words like fascinating & intriguing & amazing... Describe what you want to do with visual communication -- be as specific as you can, but don't worry if you can't narrow it beyond the general type of media you want to use or whatever.

Keep in mind, you've got damn good odds in your favor. 80 out of 150 is better than 50%. Don't worry, you'll be fine.

5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

I thought all they did was smoke pot at OU. Maybe you could smoke out the interviewer.

6. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

they don't ONLY smoke pot..........

they take mushrooms too :p

7. kidswillbeskeletons

kidswillbeskeletons Member

lmao...

thanks for all the advice pplz! :)

if i dont get in there, i'mma try western kentucky univ. and possibly uni. of florida.