Headaches Since Going Vegetarian...

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Ashalicious, Jan 11, 2016.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

For the folks with TMJ syndrome, look up self massage of the masseter muscles.

2 people like this.
  2. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

3. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Nope

4. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

Sounds like the fox terrier I had when I was a kid. He ate evrything! Most of our childhood toys are missing pieces or parts that he ate and a lot of my barbies had terrifying chewed off stumps where limbs should have been. Lip balms also were never safe. He ate them whole. I miss him though...

2 people like this.
  5. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

Still headache free ash? If it was just a solid few days of headache that is gone now, maybe you got your first migraine?

6. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

I think it was the diet change, and the vitamins taking their time getting absorbed into my system. I bought some vitamin c, which is suppose to help with the absorption of vitamins. In regards to iron, I am not taking pure iron supplements, but I'm actually taking a pre-natal vitamin that has 26 milligrams of iron in it, among other things.

I will definitely mention the headaches to my doctor the next time I see him, and if they start to come back, I will make an appointment. I had never had such a persistent headache before, so it was definitely somewhat concerning.

7. Ashalicious

Yes, still headache free! I don't think it was a migraine. I've had a few migraines in my life, and this definitely wasn't a migraine. The migraine was way worse, almost debilitating.

8. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

It might be worth mentioning other symptoms that you were experiencing too, in particular the extreme thirst and urination

1 person likes this.
  9. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I'm trying to think, Ash. I went vegetarian six years ago and never had to take a supplement of any kind...most of the stuff that they warn you about when going vegetarian are propaganda (trouble getting iron, not enough protein, b12), these are usually only true challenges for vegans -- so don't buy in!

Maybe detox, but your stopping of coffee and alcohol seem more plausible. You could always re-introduce these things into your diet for a day or two and see what happens-but I;'ve only read the first page of the thread, so maybe you've found a solution...

10. drumminmama

Seconded. It's pretty important for a MedPro to know.

1 person likes this.
  11. Ashalicious

Yeah, good point. I always go pee a lot though, because I drink so much water every day.

12. Ashalicious

My headache is gone now.

Well, I do have one today, but I'm positive that was caused by all the red wine I drank last night.

1 person likes this.
  13. drumminmama

Excessive thirst can be a symptom.

14. Ashalicious

I'm not excessively thirsty though, I just like to drink lots of water because it's good for me. Or maybe I am excessively thirsty? Damn, you guys are getting in my head now.....

15. tlucy

tlucy Members

Hi,

Since no one seems to have mentioned it, I will suggest two things.

1. - > Do not go immediately vegan, dietary changes are surprising to your body. Some vegetarians even cut the living things out one type at a time (like first red, then fish, etc. )

2. - > A common mistake people transition off meat and or dairy make is to drastically change the carb/fat/protein profile in their diet. For example, I notice you mention your eating lots of raw veggies all day. That's awesome. That's also mostly carbs. Trying eating a handful of nuts, an avacado, or some tempeh. If your down for meat alternatives, soy and gluten or whatever, get some protein that way. If not, beans have lots of protein, contrary to bullshit meat-eater knowledge. Maintaining the appropriate carb-fat-protein ratio is REALLY important. That's why fatkins died from his own diet. That's why fad diets that focus on one thing do not work, and tend to just make people sick. The ratio is even more important than the four food groups bullshit which is still taught in schools.

Good luck. and don't feel guilty if you need to transition more gradually. You need to stay healthy.

16. tlucy

tlucy Members

and btw, imo, anyone who says "toxins" and can't define what "toxins" are, isn't worth listening too.
    The new age movement has been exploited by charlatans looking to sell nonsense to well meaning hippies looking to stay healthy

17. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

What is the ideal ratio? This seems to vary widely depending on who you ask.

18. tlucy

tlucy Members

"What is the ideal ratio? This seems to vary widely depending on who you ask."

You are certainly correct that it varies depending on who you ask, and from person to person. Of course, it would be quite a personal thing, found by experience, which is what I mean by "appropriate". I imagine if you had the money, you could consult a doctor who could track your stats as you zeroed in on the appropriate ratio (probably more like a range of appropriate ratios I imagine). Otherwise, just make sure your not neglecting one over the other, that the fats are healthy (diverse nuts, not diverse potato chips) and that the protein is there. It's quite difficult to ignore carbs in my experience, since vegetables are more or less carbs.

Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, my only forms of experience are academic papers I've read and my own personal journey for good physical health while being a vegetarian and sometimes a practicing vegan.