Headaches Since Going Vegetarian...

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Ashalicious, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

I have greatly increased the amount of fresh produce I usually eat. Now, I snack on fresh veggies all day. I've been buying my veggies from the little Chinese produce store, as opposed to the chain grocery store.

I wonder if my headaches are a combination of a few things......

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

1 person likes this.
  3. Ashalicious

Yeah, that was me. I was my hair every other day now.

My neck muscles ARE tight, now that you mention it. Really tight. I'll ask James to give me a massage...that might help.

Thanks!

4. Aerianne

You're welcome, Ash.

You sound like you are in spasms. Put a wet towel in the microwave, wrap around neck and shoulders, reheat when it starts to cool off.

5. Ashalicious

I don't have a microwave anymore. Got rid of the thing a few months ago because it was just taking up space and never being used.

6. Aerianne

Do you have a heating pad? Moist heat is good. You can put down a warm, wet towel, then some saran wrap, then the heating pad. That's really old school.

7. Ashalicious

I have a hot water bottle. No heating pad though.

8. Aerianne

That will stay warm a long time if you put a towel over top of it.

9. Aerianne

Oh yeah...Preheat the bottle with hot water for a few minutes. After the rubber is warmed up you can refill it and it will stay hot longer.

10. Ashalicious

Cool, thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try that right now.

11. Aerianne

You're welcome. Nothing worse than a persistent headache.

12. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

Drink a cup of coffee....or tea with caffeine. When I got pregnant with my first kidling, I cut our coffee as well as other things ;). But I had a constant headache until the ObGyn said to drink some coffee!! So I drank 2 cups per day when pregnant, no more headaches.

If you feel tight neck muscles that could be it also, massage would work wonders as well as warming up then slow stretching.

13. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Welcome to my world, almost two years of constant headaches now.

14. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

That's terrible!

15. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

As you all might remember, I became a massage therapist some years ago after I was done with newspapers.

Headaches are the second most common reason people see me.
    Frozen shoulder and lower back pain tied for first.

Usually, the root is tech neck. All the bending at the neck we do for screens will shorten the muscles of the front of the upper body while over-stretching the ones of the back.

Ash, if this were my headache, this is how I'd chase it down.
    A serious jolt of caffeine. Does it resolve at least 70 percent of the headache within an hour?

Heat on the pec muscles, SCM and scalenes, with slow, gentle stretching. This should help some immediately, and more over two or three hours.

For two or three days, increase water (including vegetable juice and herbal tea) by 10 percent. Does this resolve 70 percent within three-four days?

Posture. This will always help. People THINK they have good posture, but I'm seeing dowager hump on 30 year olds. Look into posture videos, especially Esther Gohkale.

Try taking magnesium. If your multi doesn't have 100 percent, take a supplement before bed one night and see how you feel in the morning.
    Epsom salt baths work, but it's hard to get the benefit on the neck in a bath.

2 people like this.
  16. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

A vegetarian diet is quite low in iron compared to a non-vegetarian one. The iron in vegetarian food is also pretty harder for the body to assimilate. You have to take in vegetarian foods like spinach,tofu and others rich in iron, along with vitamin c rich foods such as orange juice, that help in better assimilation of iron in the body.

The lack of adequate iron can lead to fatigue issues, anaemia and so on. The headaches perhaps may be resulting from this.

Proper intake of iron and vitamin c rich vegetarian food, can solve this problem.

Vegetarian diet have issues of this sort, which can be sorted out through intelliigent nutrition intake. Non-vegetarian food, though rich in iron, have its negatives in the sense that a substantially higher incidence of various cancers and heart disease have been found amongst non-vegetarians as compared to vegetarians among whom it was quite low.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

It could be this. I carry all my tension in my neck and shoulders plus I have TMJs and I pretty much live with a perpetual headache.

18. Ashalicious

Do you need glasses?

19. Ashalicious

I'll pick up some coffee from the market today......

20. Ashalicious

So here is the update - I had James give me a hard neck and shoulder massage last night, and I also put a hot water bottle on my neck and shoulders once he was finished. I found a multi vitamin in my cupboard (for women) that has iron and other things in it, and I've started taking that. I will get some oranges from the market today, to increase my vitamin C intake.

I also started my day with a protein shake today. I wonder if I am not getting enough protein in my diet, among other minerals that come with eating steak, beef, meat, ect.

My headache is still there, but it is much lighter now. Yesterday it was quite bad - I woke up and took two Advil instantly, and then took another two in the evening, and I could still feel my head aching.

Frustrating, but I am determined to figure out what is going on here. I am pretty sure it has to do with the diet change and converting to vegetarian, and my body not getting certain things absorbed into its system as it usually does from meat. Or it could be this, and a combination of other things.

Also, I've been drinking so much fucking water, that I have to go pee at least twice an hour. So much water that, I have stopped drinking water a few hours before bed, because otherwise I am up several times in the night to drain my bladder.

Oh, and tonight I am going to have a glass of red wine with a girlfriend, so we will see if this whole thing has been caused by alcohol withdrawal. I was drinking a fair amount in Mexico, and haven't had a drop of alcohol since I've been home.