Having your bed on the floor...

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by Emerson87, Nov 30, 2009.

1. ganjabomber

ganjabomber Senior Member

if you have your mattress on the floor you can't store stuff under it.. which is pretty convenient

2. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

my beds on the floor and the bedroom next to mine is vacant with a nice high bed.

3. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

having the bed directly on the floor in my opinion has always signified lazyness, depression, and instability.

4. PurpByThePound

PurpByThePound purpetrator

mattress on floor? dumb.

here's a few reasons why:
    1) No place for boogeyman to hide
    2) No box spring = less comfort
    3) No box spring = more/faster wear on mattress
    4) Mattress directly on floor = even FASTER wear on mattress
    5) Flip your mattress (you do this to prolong the life of the mattress - assuming you do not have a padded/layered mattress)...well...you won't want to flip it, it's gonna be nasty as fuck sleepin on that side
    6) Bugs, mice, rats, mites, roaches, spiders etc etc LOVE to eat foam...which is what a lot of your mattress is made out of. And once the foam is gone, they shit it out all over inside of there. And then they live in there...and then they bite you when you try to sleep. So not only does it LOOK shitty, it actually IS shitty. quite literally.

Source of knowledge: Family owned furniture store. Father has rapped this shit into my brain for years. He's been working in the business for more than 35 years now.

spend an extra 100 (or even less, fuck) and get the box and frame. you won't look like a defunct butthole if somebody new ever steps in your bedroom

even the bummiest, dirtiest, most crackhouse homes that I've delivered beds to have had box and frames...and these people aren't the brightest of stars, let me tell you. you might think it's 'cool' but in fact, it's derelict as fuck

5. texas.grok

texas.grok Member

I don't have my mattress on the floor but it is on a hard elevated platform and I rest very well. There is also a theory that the more contact we have with the earth, the better it is for us. Check out "grounding" or "earthing". May explain why I feel better than barefoot than in shoes. But having your mattress closer to the floor would seem to be better for you assuming that theory is correct.

6. PurpByThePound

PurpByThePound purpetrator

that theory might have some ground (heh, get it)
    but it is retarded to put your mattress on the floor, not to mention extremely disgusting

7. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

^I'm with Purp on this.

Might as well sleep on the grass in the yard.

And it's like slamming the door on the boogeyman.

Are you going to lock the closet and put that monster out of work too?

8. greenbay

greenbay Guest

Where I come from we sleep on the floor...just kidding :D when you sleep it is the same as on bed but when you wake up and you need to stand up from the floor at 6 am...awful feeling. If you have troubles with standing up and sitting down you should buy a bed.

9. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

dude

thats gross.

10. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Purp, how does a few inches of box spring keep insects out? Bedbugs are all over beds up on frames and box springs.

I'm pricing tatami mats and shikibuton.

11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

is so much easier than having your bed on the ceiling. :p

12. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

I slept on a futon on the floor from the mid 70's until about 8 years ago when I started having a lot of problems with my hips. I bought a frame to put the futon on and have been sleeping fine ever since.