Have you got that hippy feeling??? Woah that hippy feeling?

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by thebarefootpilgrim, May 6, 2013.

1. thebarefootpilgrim

thebarefootpilgrim Member

I have never considered myself a hippy, but I kind of like hippies and always have.

Lately though - I've started to feel like a hippy.

It's like hippy vibes are seeping up through the ground, through the skin of my feet and into my blood stream. I know that sounds a bit whacko, but it's true. My psychological state feels kind of different, more creative, more insightful, more calm and more liberated - but in a way - kind of confused.

I'm confused cos I don't understand the nervous looks I keep getting. Why is is so weird to be plodding around shoeless and totally acceptable to be going around in all sorts of funny looking shoes?

I'm seeing weird stuff everywhere. Like in the supermarket. They seem like really weird places to me sometimes. Every other living organism takes their food and life force from the earth and yet we buy it all pre-slaughtered, pre-packaged and laced with additives for flavour and preservatives that keep this so called 'food' fresher for far longer than it should stay fresh.

We, as people, are mostly greatly disconnected from the food we eat.

With meat, most of us hardly recognize that it was a living thing, with feelings, that were probably constantly fearful.

With potatoes - most of us wouldn't have a clue how to grow them.

In general - we haven't a clue what's in most stuff and I can't help but feel that that is a very, very bad thing.

I think the human race is perhaps the weirdest animal on the planet. Apologies if anyone takes offense to that - but I think we are animals.

2. PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94 Member

Well, it's pretty simple, really. Humans are the only "sentient" creatures on the planet. Animals act on instinct, while humans use cognitive reasoning, problem solving, verbal as well as other forms of communication.

The fact of life is that most of the world is industrialized, and different people specialize and do different things. There are monetary systems, and we have to work to make money in order to afford things like land, housing, food, and so on. Only a portion of the population has the knowledge and resources to produce the majority of the world's food. While only a portion of the population has the knowledge to provide medical care. Only a portion of the population can produce and manufacture various products for various things.

This is the society we live in. The large majority of the world does not simply live off the land, as animals do. We're also different than animals because we partake in leisurely activities. Animals exist in order to procreate and survive, which keeps the food chain cranking along. Animals don't work, or go on vacation, or any of that stuff. They pretty much eat and sleep, for the most part.

Yes most of us are disconnected from the food we eat, or know how to grow potatoes. But the large majority of the population doesn't know how to design a building, both for aesthetics and for life safety and accessibility. I can do that. :)

3. Shakti_Om

Shakti_Om Local Pixie

I went on that trip years ago. I gave up everything 'modern'....during that period the insight I gained was moderation and control. Unfortunately mankind is quite the addict.

Shayla x

4. hillman30

hillman30 Member

Ok heres the deal since I was a bona fide hippie. We went barefoot cause it met with disapproval, not cause we cared about leather from animals. We never got into vegan or whatever sensibilities. Communes grew stuff and animals to eat.

We also ate at Arby's and mcd's. My suggestion, chill out, drop a tab and not think too much. O and listen to the dead.

5. thebarefootpilgrim

thebarefootpilgrim Member

Ya, I guess you're right.

Modern living affords many wonderful things - like this forum.

I mean, it's great to find like minded people to discuss things with even if the amount of people in your direct vicinity = zero.

Technology and evolution are all about balance and moderation and it's good to embrace that too - else we'd all still be living in caves.

Technology and modern living make it easy to become disconnected from what's real and it's kind of a contradiction to be lamenting a loss of connectivity with the environment and such while simultaneously utilising modern comforts day in, day out.

I think Walt Whitman nailed it when he wrote "do I contradict myself? Very well, I contradict myself - I am large, I contain multitudes".:sunny: