Have You Ever Ended Up Hating Your Idols As People?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Ged, Oct 4, 2018.

1. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

He was otherworldly talented though. No arguing that.

Noserider and rollingalong like this.
  2. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

see the trick here is to set your expectations so low...I mean really fucking low....below low....like under low....and then everyone is awesome by comparison

3. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

weird coincidence...I saw Michael Jackson on October 5 1984 at cne stadium...today is October 5th...I worked the box office for me dad the entire weekend all 3 shows

I actually caught the tshirt he ripped off his body...it was wet...some dude offered me 200 on the spot...I shoulda sold it

Oct 5 1984
    The Jacksons Setlist at CNE Stadium, Toronto, ON, Canada
    Edit venue & date Show all edit options
    Tour: Victory Tour Tour statistics Add setlist

here he is ripping his shirt...cant believe I found this online

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Pete's Draggin', Irminsul and Orison like this.
  4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Made me think of Chronic Tom

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Man, i would have totally flipped

rollingalong likes this.
  6. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

If I'm a fan of an actor, artist, singer (I don't idolize anyone), I also have to respect them, their values, etc. If I like a particular actor for example but find out that he abuses his wife, then I'm no longer a fan. Won't watch their films, anymore. Taints the whole experience of being ''entertained,'' imo.

7. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Thriller was the shit. I just can't ...

rollingalong likes this.
  8. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Why did you think that was happening?

9. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

It actually is likely to do with how long the band Pearl Jam had been around, thus giving the impression that everything about them was tiresome. Hearing the way Ed addresses an audience straightened me out. :) He's really inclusive and stuff. He makes it easy to understand perspectives on different crises and humanitarian issues. It's like he read my mind really.

McFuddy, rollingalong and beachbum86 like this.
  10. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

The term 'Idols' is an oft overused word to describe those we hold to have qualities of both skill-set (Artistic, Sporting etc.) and/or values or mortality.
    So it is hard when those to whom we have faith grew up with' turn out to be not what we believed them to be or made change in the direction of what drew us to them.
    Be it the likes of Dylan-going electric, Ross and Jackson going solo, a Sportsman, Politician or changing allegiances or the darker deeds of Glitter, Simpson, Polanski, Spector, Crosby to name a few.
    "Such, is life" ..... = Disappointing

Ged likes this.
  11. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

They're all okay really

12. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Except for Bono

13. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

And Snoopy

14. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

This is what my Idol says about Idols so I aint got any

Woody Guthrie was my last idol
    he was the last idol
    because he was the first idol
    I’d ever met
    face t’ face
    that men are men
    shatterin’ even himself
    as an idol
    an’ that men have reasons
    for what they do
    an’ what they say
    an’ every action can be questioned
    leavin’ no command
    untouched an’ took for granted
    obeyed an’ bowed down to
    forgettin’ your own natural instincts
    (for there’re a million reasons
    in the world
    an’ a million instincts
    runnin’ wild
    an’ it’s none too many times
    the two shall meet)
    the unseen idols create the fear
    an’ trample hope when busted
    Woody never made me fear
    and he didn’t trample any hopes
    for he just carried a book of Man
    an’ gave it t’ me t’ read awhile
    an’ from it I learned my greatest lesson

Ged likes this.
  15. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Billy Idol

Ged likes this.
  16. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Noserider likes this.
  17. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I guess I've never really had an idol. So no.

18. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I remember a time in my teens when I thought a lot of Bob Geldof, before I learned he is a whiny self centered prick. And of course all the money he helped to raise for famine relief went to fund the Ethiopian army and it's brutal war against the freedom fighters.

Live Aid: The Terrible Truth

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

The only ever time I was disappointed with my one major idol, Jeff Gordon was when I came to Amerika and happened to be standing 2yards from him and I said "Hey Jeff! Can you please sign my helmet" and he completely ignored me. Sure, he was pushed away by security who deeply apologised to me. I said to them "fuck, do you know how far I have come to even have that opportunity?" they apology to me and said it's just he had to do sponsor interviews.

Maybe it wasn't his fault. But I really thought he'd see my German flag, hear my accent, see my Jeff Gordon gear on and be like" hey cool, that's so awesome" but I didn't. I was one person to far in the line and the asshole in front of me got 3 cars signed to my 1 nothing. He showed me all happy. I stared through him like he was the worst person in the world and I flicked my ponytail and stormed off.

I was so upset. I went back to Charlotte NC that night in dismay. I was all over the place. Didn't know what to think. :( had I lost all respect for the guy? How can he treat a fan that way? Who cares, it's a shit sport anyway.

I woke in the morning over it. I blamed security. I went to his race shop, saw his team, met some team at Hooters outside of Charlotte Speedway. A nice old lady let me behind the velvet rope to one of his car on the podium. She said be quick so no one sees! I told her about what happened, she assured me he'd not be mean on purpose just it was media day at nascar hall of fame.

And I got it. It must be annoying in the spotlight to have everyone wanting a signature. Tbh I just wanted to shake his hand and say hi. It wasn't to be.

5 days later I watched him win at Martinsville, I planned the whole vacation around that track in the middle of bum fuck Virginia. :D

When I look at it now, I'm more happy I got to see him win his last race at the one track that meant the most to me. Yeah shaking his hand would been nice, but to watch him win in person after 15 years, that was the icing.

I can theoretically come back and pay for a VIP meet and greet with him, but I didn't want it to go down that way. I'm more enclined to follow my other idols opinion on the matter, ICP "we aren't going to charge anyone for a shitty autograph".. Well they do now but I've been lucky enough to meet them on my own terms twice now, or rather, we just ran into each other after the concerts.

Maybe I will meet Jeff Gordon in a VIP scenario. And if I do, I can assure you, I'll have a dig at him for what happened that day almost 3 years ago.

20. Wobblybobbly56

Wobblybobbly56 Members

No, but a Lennon biography, and Clapton’s autobiography, turned me off them both as people in quite a big way, but they weren’t heroes, as such, before anyway

Irminsul likes this.