Have you ever eaten rabbit?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Gone and forgotten, Feb 21, 2019.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Bravo Wil! Thank you for saying that. We should all give a thought to that. Especially the carnivores amongst us.

themnax and wilsjane like this.
  2. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

That’s why it’s important to pay homage to the animal you are about to devour

Take for instance last night’s steak, before biting into that delicious cut of meat I quoted a line from Chingachgook - Last of the Mohicans

“We're sorry to kill you, brother. We do honor to your intelligence, courage, and your strength.”
    .............now please pass the A-1 steak sauce.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    wilsjane and Lynnbrown like this.
  3. Visexual

Visexual Member

I've eaten rabbit many, many times when I was younger. And, as a matter of fact, squirrels too. In the military I ate Iguana, boa constrictor, capybara, and even monkey in survival situations.

4. Visexual

Visexual Member

And I just remembered something sort of relevant. At the last Combat Control Association reunion I attended, we were talking about SERE training. And one of the things during that training involved a rabbit. The instructors were telling the students how almost every part of the animal is either edible or useful. The bones can be used for things like fish hooks for fishing.

Anyway, they said even the eyeballs are edible and asked for volunteers. Well, most of the trainees are pilots or aircrew members who all sort of gagged so another fellow CCT'er and I volunteered. I remembered it was difficult to sink your teeth into. It was very slippery. I remember letting it show in my mouth so it was sort of looking at the other guys. Ha! But when I did manage to bite into it, it was pretty darn salty tasting.

Well, after about six of us at that reunion all had similar stories about the SERE training up in Washington State, we decided to take a survey. Of the hundred or so we asked, only one hadn't eaten a rabbit's eyeball at the SERE training. And he said that there had been seven Combat Controllers with him at his training and only three rabbits.